Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Star Wars is more a Western genre than Science Fiction

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why Star Wars is more a Western genre than Science Fiction

Starcloud
01.10.2012 , 07:22 AM | #11
Star Wars is definitely Space Opera, which can be defined as Horse Opera in Space.

There's some Western themes in there, elements of characters and plot came from Hidden Fortress (though having seen both movies, they're only similar in extremely broad strokes and technically, both of the peasants are C-3P0...), and then the mysticism of the Force comes partly from Zen Buddhism and partly from Taoism.

Geeluc
01.10.2012 , 07:31 AM | #12
It's weird, coz if you have seen The Hidden Fortress, by Akira Kurosawa, Star Wars is pretty much a remake of it.

There are two servants, that the story is told through, i.e. C3-PO and R2.
There's a princess and a Dark Lord.
An old General.

It goes on and on (I forget now, coz I haven't seen it for years). And of course, this is an Eastern movie.

BUT, you can also say it is a Western, since Kurosawa's Seven Samurai was the 'original' Magnificent Seven.
Putting the smug into Smuggler

XTchazTX
01.10.2012 , 08:16 AM | #13
Star Wars is high fantasy but in a futuristic setting.

There's a few similarities to Westerns though.

Saarkai
01.10.2012 , 08:22 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ibage View Post
Star Wars is actually a Space Fantasy and not a science fiction film. There is a difference between the two.

That said, it has some elements of a space western but it's not fully a western. In fact, much of the concept and philosophy was based on Yojimbo which was a movie from Japan.

TL;DR Star Wars is a mishmash of genres all rounded up into some awesome movies.
Close, but incorrect.

Star Wars is loosely based on a different Akira Kurosawa film, called "The Hidden Fortress." A great film and any Star Wars buff should watch it.

That said, "The Hidden Fortress" and "Yojimbo" and "The Seven Samurai" are all examples of Kurosawa's Samurai movies. Which were very much inspired by American westerns.

Star Wars is a space fantasy samurai western.

Saarkai
01.10.2012 , 08:36 AM | #15
blahblahblah double post