Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

Kadra
01.09.2012 , 02:51 AM | #61
The blood has throughout thousands of years been considered the physical essence of life or soul in many religions and cults. Is that mystic enough for you? There's nothing new in the idea of the importance of blood in determining who we are. So the idea of midichlorians being the source of the difference just gives you a more scientific explanation. All things are both mystic and not, it depends on what angle you choose.

Kadra
01.09.2012 , 02:59 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Divalinor View Post
Jedi/Force = Religion
Empire = The third reich

Makes perfect sense .
Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

iota-dhegon
01.09.2012 , 08:11 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Kadra View Post
Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
indeed.. if it is the third reich.. why are all imperial officers english.. if there was ever going to be a comparison, it would be the american revolution.

Still, Luke killed many thousands of innocents when destroying the second death star as the empire would of out sourced in creation of it. So think of all the slaves and nn-empire civilians he killed, which would of out numbered the amount of imperials on the death star.

personally i would of arrested luke aand put him on trial for crimes against humanity with a very public exectuion..

just sayin'

ptwonline
01.09.2012 , 12:35 PM | #64
Lucas probably watched a documentary talking about how cells work and in particular Mitochondria, and then got the idea to use it to explain the Force. They are very similar (like little independent organisms living in cells providing a kind of power) and even the names sound similar (Mitochondria vs Midichlorians).

roocey
01.09.2012 , 02:17 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by KaL_InvictuS View Post
Midichlorians were just an easy way to explain the nature of the Force to the 4-year-old target audience of The Phantom Menace.

Who cares about a "Living Force that flows through us, surrounds us and binds the Galaxy together" when you can have LITTLE DUDES LIVING IN YOUR BLOODSTREAM LOLZ.
I'm not sure if you've ever actually been four years old, but mystical forces and magical people are actually easier to understand and believe in at a younger age than biology. Just saying.

BurntSoul
01.09.2012 , 04:58 PM | #66
<Theory type="conspiracy" subtype="wildBaselessConjecture">
Lucas introduced the notion of Midichlorians so people would stop calling Star Wars "science fantasy" and treat it as science fiction.
</Theory>

In older discussions I took part in, people constantly pointed out that the fact that the Force was based on a "mystical" energy source reduced it to science fantasy (in which magic plays a role), rather than science fiction (in which all things should be rooted and based in science).

I would guess that this didn't sit well with George, since he's always thought of Star Wars as science fiction. Introducing a scientific basis for the Force, however flimsy, may have been his attempt to resolve the issue.

Eillack
01.09.2012 , 07:00 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Mezla View Post
He could've made it all more scientific and way more interesting at the same time if he put any effort into it. Unfortunately GL is just a hack and that's why we got what we got.
Why are you even a star wars fan if you hate the creator so much?
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

LukeSaberRattler
01.09.2012 , 07:10 PM | #68
I like to think he did it so there is a reason certain people can you the force. That keeps it out of the anyone can use it if they train themselves type of thing. I also would think Midichlorians are not the force by themselves but are simply the middle man that allows people to connect with the force. Thinking that way makes it a lot less of a slap in the face doesn't?

Oh and of course it was just something in a script for a sci-fi movie! I do love a good mythology in a story though.

kenoten
01.09.2012 , 07:47 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Venan View Post
Midichlorians are like crayfish; they are indicators. They show that a particular individual has high Force sensitivity. Oh they grow in every person, but they need high levels of Force sensitivity to really propagate and reach high numbers. So what; Anakin had a level of over 20,000? An average Jedi would probably have something like 5-10 thousand, while a non-Force sensitive would have more like a few hundred or, at most 1,000.
Anakins Midichlorian count was over NINE THOUSAND!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That being said. I like this explanation.
You can't have slaughter without laughter.