Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

GellonSW
01.09.2012 , 05:20 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by DigitalPigeon View Post

Curious what all these MMOs are... I haven't experianced any that implement such a seperate apperiance function. Keep in mind we're talking about games where your gear in some way determines your appearance, not where "costumes" are a completely seperate feature that requires no work on the side of the player. TOR is still leaps and bounds ahead in customization during character creation vs pretty much any other MMO i've played (except maybe eve, but lets face it thats a lot of time and effort for something no one sees). Again, I don't count super hero costume games in this, because I really think that is an apples and oranges discussion (but even at that, TOR facial customization still blows the competition away IMHO).

EQ2 has a separate appearance tab. As does LOTRO.

Lauraliane
01.09.2012 , 05:49 PM | #122
As does Rift.

Obbu
01.09.2012 , 06:18 PM | #123
Current system works better than an A tab - at least this way its controlled: the moment you put in an A tab, everyone starts making their pvp gear look as ridiculous as possible and gear/silhouette recognition goes out the window.

ColonelKer-Nal
01.10.2012 , 01:24 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Obbu View Post
Current system works better than an A tab - at least this way its controlled: the moment you put in an A tab, everyone starts making their pvp gear look as ridiculous as possible and gear/silhouette recognition goes out the window.
So frakin' what?

PvPers are always talking about how much more manly they are because PvP is so much tougher than PvE. PvPers can get over not being able to ID someone's class at a glance instead of trying to cherry pick their targets.

Besides, an Appearance Tab would not allow Consulars to wear heavy Trooper armor, or even heavy JK armor. You can only put into the A-Tab what you could normally wear.

So what was your objection again?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Barda_Brerni
01.10.2012 , 07:31 PM | #125
There is honestly no good reason NOT to have this added to the game. All the other MMO's are doing it due to the fact that Appearence Tabs are in POPULAR DEMAND.

People actually ENJOY making their character look good, and they enjoy it independantly of collecting gear for stats. Appearence Tabs are absolutely a good business idea as well, as it gets old art assets re-used and that makes your art team more efficient.

Also, collecting a certain item because you like how it looks forces you to plug extra hours into the game, which is just what BW wants from its players.

Bottom line, there's a reason why most MMO's have an Appearence Tab. It's a good idea. Implement it.

Matte_Black
01.10.2012 , 08:00 PM | #126
You more than likely aren't going to get an appearance tab. The most recent dev comments are about making the custom gear system more accommodating. BioWare chose their path a while ago and it includes some visual progression but, doesn't include appearance tabs. I feel they chose right.
"I really wanted to bring in the three BioWare pillars to the online space. Those are represented by story, by the player's choice in story, and by characters. Those are the three big things that I felt weren't really well represented in the MMO space." - James Ohlen

IGsChevy
01.10.2012 , 08:15 PM | #127
The issue I have with keeping the mod system as currently implemented in favor of an appearance tab, is that in order to keep the look I want and the stats I need, I'm required to spend thousands of credits taking mods out of new items I get in order to keep my stats up to date without sacrificing appearance. I don't feel that I should have to pay that much on a regular basis just to not look like a clown. Probably my favorite thing about LOTRO was the appearance tab. If I'm going to RP a character, I need to have control over that character's appearance, and to penalize those of us who are interested in appearance seems incredibly unfair.

Ohoni
01.13.2012 , 02:25 AM | #128
Quote:
So frakin' what?

PvPers are always talking about how much more manly they are because PvP is so much tougher than PvE. PvPers can get over not being able to ID someone's class at a glance instead of trying to cherry pick their targets.
Exactly. I have ZERO sympathy for PvPers that have a problem with not being able to tell their opponent a a glance if it gets in the way of my character's customization. Besides, even under the current system there are plenty of ways to craft a misleading costume if that's your goal. If PvP has ANYTHING to do with the lack of an appearance tab then the situation needs to be isolated to PvP content only, allowing for an appearance tab but with restrictions that apply to how you're viewed in PvP, without impacting how PvE players see you.

Quote:
You more than likely aren't going to get an appearance tab. The most recent dev comments are about making the custom gear system more accommodating. BioWare chose their path a while ago and it includes some visual progression but, doesn't include appearance tabs. I feel they chose right.
The recent dev post does nothing to solve the need for an appearance tab system, it's just more of the same custom gear stuff, which is, at best, a patch.

Quote:
The issue I have with keeping the mod system as currently implemented in favor of an appearance tab, is that in order to keep the look I want and the stats I need, I'm required to spend thousands of credits taking mods out of new items I get in order to keep my stats up to date without sacrificing appearance.
Yeah, and the costs are a bit silly too. I swapped the mods between two pairs of level 30-ish pants last night, and each blue mod cost around 1500-2000cr to remove, and one purple cost 4000cr to remove, even though it was several levels lower than the blue in the alternate piece, and thus actually had lower stats than the one that cost less than half as much to remove. It cost more just for being purple, rather than for actually providing a stronger effect. They really need to look into rebalancing that sort of thing, so that a purple mod that provides +10 endurance would cost the same as a blue mod that offers +10 endurance, or at most a very slight amount more.

KainrycKarr
01.13.2012 , 02:42 AM | #129
People saying there's no need for a tab because of the mod system are not paying attention.

Crafted Items are way, way sub-par to the pvp and pve endgame armor.

This needs to change, or there's no point to crafting unless you want a significant decrease to your stats.

kiwoo
01.13.2012 , 02:59 AM | #130
Didnt read all the posts, so apologies if these 2 points have been covered.

1. Social gear is only really usefull for light armor users. Would love to have the sand people armor on my Juggernaut. An appearance tab would allow everyone to make use of social gear outside of running around the fleet/station with it.

2. Purple gear at level 50. Whether its the PvP or the PvE (HM and Ops) The main armor mod cannot be removed, so the great system of 1-49 of being able to hunt for and find a set of armor that fits your characters style or that simply you like the look of. Which for me was a brilliant move to allow greater diersity in player appearances.

Then you get to 50 and start collecting HM, Ops, PvP gear and everyone, after a while, will all be equipped the same.

I wouldnt mind as much not having an appearance slot if they made the main mods from lvl 50 purples removable to allow the diversity of appearances that the previous levels allowed. Or add the mods (even if it takes a little more effort overall than buying the present piece) so we can add the mods to the gear we like.

I'll get around to posting this some time in suggestions:

By allowing us to acquire the same level mods that is in the pve/pvp sets it will also open up the possibilty of adding more level 50 orange, unmodded armor and weapons to the crew skills to give more utility and increase the desiribility for those skills at max level.