Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

Let BioWare know you support custom gear (and other suggestions)

I like to look the way that I choose. Currently in-game for my

Juggernaut this means a crimson robe with hood down, heavy plated

boots and gloves and a partial face mask re-breather thing. I look like

a Sith. I'm happy with this. I'm level 49.

As I look ahead to end-game gear progression options, one thing

becomes perfectly clear: BioWare is going to decide how I look and I

will look just like every other Sith Warrior in the galaxy. I'm going

to try to be as clear as possible for BioWare's sake:

I do not want to wear the ugly end game armor sets you have created.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/WarriorPvP.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/WarriorPvE.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/InquisitorPvP.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/InquisitorPvE.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/BountyHunterPvP.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/BountyHunterPvE.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/AgentPvP.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/Ruanur/SWTOR/AgentPvE.jpg

Note: There are three seperate tiers of each armor set, but they re-use the same model with a different colour scheme.

BioWare's stance on modding was most recently expressed by Emmanuel

Lusinchi, and while the original post was lost in the forum wipe, it

has been judiciously copied to several 3rd party sites, here is the

text in full:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19766-item-modding-clarifications

Significant part quoted here:

To put it simply, we want moddable items to offer an alternate

and optional loot system that allows players to customize their look

and their stats with more freedom and without penalty for doing

so.

This is currently not possible in-game. There are no equivalent mods

available to compare with the inherent stats of the top-tier artifact

quality gear.

The other significant part of Emmanuel's post is this:

Now, if purple gear was fully moddable, players would simply

farm the first boss, acquire 5 pair of boots, extract the armoring,

mod and enhancements from the boots and slots them in their favorite

Custom items.hat actually sounds cool, but it really isn’t. Letting

players extract the armoring mod from the purple items would

trivialize end game gear progression and stop rewarding successful and

dedicated players for their efforts.

The specific problem with Emmanuel's posited scenario could have been

fixed by adding an item slow requirement to top-tier mods. Instead the

entire moddable gear system was neutered.

So on to my specific requests in regards to item modding:

• Restore complete modding potential to all top-tier visible
    armor pieces and weapons.
  • Add slot restrictions to top-tier armorings to prevent
    aforementioned "boot farming."
  • Make equivalent mods available from the same content, either via a
    token which grants either a "boot" or "boot armoring" or by dropping
    said armorings from the same boss.
  • Add a non-removeable flag to certain item modifications if you
    don't want players breaking down boots for more boot mods.

This ensures that any player who actually likes this armor, can keep

it current to the next tier(s) of content while anyone who choose to

customize their look has the freedom to do so.

I also have some tertiary suggestions to help out certain crafting professions.

• Remove "armoring" schematics from Cybertech, Cybertech does too much already.
  • Add strength and willpower armorings to Synthweaving, and add aim
    and cunning armorings to Armormech.
  • Drop the distinction between tanking and DPS armorings, give them
    equal amounts of primary stat and allow primary stat diversity to rely
    more strongly on the "modification" slot.
  • Add a non-removeable flag to certain item modifications to create
    demand for crafted mods; mostly quest rewards since they essentially
    are free.
  • Nerf certain quest reward item modifications to make player crafted
    mods more appealing.

This gives every crafting profession something with saleable value in

a custom gear environment. The changes to armorings more reflect their

base purpose of upgrading item ratings, and the increase in

distinction for modifications gives a little back to Cybertech.

How it stands:

Cybertech: Earpieces, Starship Upgrades, All Armorings, All

Modifications, BoP Speeders, Non-Combat Pets

Synthweaving: Force Armor

Armormech: Tech Armor

Artifice: Colour Crystals, Hilts, Shields/Generators, Enhancements

Armstech: Blasters, Vibroswords, Viborknives, Barrels

My proposal:

Cybertech: Earpieces, Starship Upgrades, All Modifications, BoP

Speeders, Non-Combat Pets

Synthweaving: Force Armor, Force Armorings

Armormech: Tech Armor, Tech Armorings

Artifice: Colour Crystals, Hilts, Shields/Generators, Enhancements

Armstech: Blasters, Vibroswords, Viborknives/Scatterguns, Barrels

Edited by Ruan

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you forget to quote the part where your whole post falls apart?

So, instead of letting that happen, we prevented the Armoring, Hilt and Barrel from being extracted, but we also made sure of dropping purple Armoring mods of equivalent power as Operation loot. This means that players going the mod route can still take their favorite orange armor and make it as good as a operation purple armor (with some temporary caveats).

You may not have found those mods yet.

They might not exist in game YET. But they are coming. Patience.

No one will force you to look bad - in the end - with a little effort.

Edit : not that your ideas are bad. But it seems that Bioware KNOWS we support custom gear, and supports it as well.

Edited by JonathanCP

Why did you forget to quote the part where your whole post falls apart?

So, instead of letting that happen, we prevented the Armoring, Hilt and Barrel from being extracted, but we also made sure of dropping purple Armoring mods of equivalent power as Operation loot. This means that players going the mod route can still take their favorite orange armor and make it as good as a operation purple armor (with some temporary caveats).

You may not have found those mods yet.

They might not exist in game YET. But they are coming. Patience.

No one will force you to look bad - in the end - with a little effort.

Edit : not that your ideas are bad. But it seems that Bioware KNOWS we support custom gear, and supports it as well.

The minute BioWare decided to lock the rating mod into artifact items, they should have ensured that equal mods are available.

Further to that, mods don't help those who actually like these armor skins. Which is another point addressed by my sugestions.

Nor do dropping mods get us any further from Emmanual's "boot farming" problem.

Edited by Ruan

The minute BioWare decided to lock the rating mod into artifact items, they should have ensured that equal mods are available.

Or they have and they simply havn't dropped yet. TORHead has mods in their database that match those found in the Operations gear that are mod locked, but do not have locations for them yet. Usually this means they are in the data files but nobody has verified where they drop.

Further to that, mods don't help those who actually like these armor skins. Which is another point addressed by my sugestions.

For those that like the skins of the mod locked items...I cant see how there is a problem. From what I have seen, they are modded up to match with who should be wearing them anyway. Whats the problem?

Nor do dropping mods get us any further from Emmanual's "boot farming" problem.

Only if you close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears. If they follow the WoW design of having certain bosses drop certain types of mods then they still make it worth going through an entire Operation, rather than just farming the first boss. Hilts/Barrels would be on the final boss, for example, since they make the most difference.

Edited by Swift

Never been a fan of having to "farm" gear. If I have to start jumping through hoops & spend day after day trying to get a certain item, it is no longer enjoyable & there for, no longer worth it. As I stated in another post, I'm usually under-geared in most games. Have horrible luck when it comes to loot rolls & I usually don't make much money.

That was one of the turn offs for me in WoW. Learned the frustration of such tediousness way back in EQ.

I like the system here so far w/the swappable components. Granted my main is only level 37 & I haven't had to start worrying about "farmable" gear yet. Here's hoping I wont need to.

I agree with the whole "seeing as Bioware created the whole Custom armor system, I should be able to have the look we want without having to pass on upgrades because the piece is just unappealing to me"

Now, as somebody said earlier, IT IS TOO SOON!

the LIVE game content that has been reliably explored is negligible when you try to stablish what drops what, what doesn't, what is only in the system, what is actually dropping in-game...

Do we know FOR SURE that mods with stats equivalent to Artifact drops from raid bosses do NOT exist at all?

I believe that even if they don't, Bioware would know better than to make custom gear one of their base appeals and then forget about it because "it is hard to balance".

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

Edited by TonyMoreno

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

wow... fantastic news. like super super good. bravo

Edited by Sandzibar

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

Thank you, Emmanuel.

Finally, i love you, but i hate your designers for making that raid gear.