Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Am I the only one who misses SWG?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Am I the only one who misses SWG?

Fyrog
01.09.2012 , 09:21 AM | #11
no you are not alone!
i miss swg too,it was the best mmo ever,swtor is no comparrison to it,swtor is such a dissapointment,i hope they will fix this game soon.

starsider-onouk

Daane
01.09.2012 , 09:23 AM | #12
There were many great elements of SWG but there were also some fatal flaws. First it was ridiculous to limit each player to one (then two) character per server. They had a good idea with making Jedi difficult to obtain. But when I finally unlocked my Jedi, I was annoyed that the new character had to start over rather than be the main character I had been playing all along. And once the recipe for unlocking a Jedi was made public, eventually everyone would have one, negating what they intended. And the permadeath made it not fun to play.

So they felt they needed to do something and they went with the CU and NGE, which pissed off their customers. Over time (years) they repaired that damage but they had already permanently lost a big chunk of players. They stopped marketing the game in stores and tried to increase revenue by getting more from their existing customers via that horrible trading card game.

Everyone likes something different but I prefer the open world to following a set path. I really don't care about a story or voice overs. Maybe someone else thinks those things are great. I think it's just decoration and not really the game itself. We'll see how long this game retains my interest - hopefully for a long time.

Wolfninjajedi
01.09.2012 , 09:41 AM | #13
Where was all this griping and support when SWG was still around?....Guess the old saying is true.

"Ya don't know what you got, till its gone."
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

jarjarloves
01.09.2012 , 09:46 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Where was all this griping and support when SWG was still around?....Guess the old saying is true.

but that's the beauty of it. it's not gone you can play it for free by going to swg emu.

adamqd
01.09.2012 , 10:05 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post

Agreed, I washed my hands of SWG because I thought SWTOR was going to out do it in every way.. yet now I wish it hadn't been canceled, as I'd of played them both, SWTOR for hundreds of quests and voice acting, SWG for endgame and individualism.

community/member.php?u=495
Need more inter-faction interaction! Come on, its an MMO!

jarjarloves
01.09.2012 , 03:22 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
agreed, i washed my hands of swg because i thought swtor was going to out do it in every way.. Yet now i wish it hadn't been canceled, as i'd of played them both, swtor for hundreds of quests and voice acting, swg for endgame and individualism.
you can still play it for free!

rossonja
01.09.2012 , 03:32 PM | #17
I did like that SWG wasnt so linear and didn't tell you exactly where to go and exactly what to do at all times. Figuring quests out was part of the fun.

jarjarloves
01.09.2012 , 03:36 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by rossonja View Post
I did like that SWG wasnt so linear and didn't tell you exactly where to go and exactly what to do at all times. Figuring quests out was part of the fun.
the quests in SWG consisted of go to this location and kill the 3 guards and destory the small radar station. At least that is the way it was for the entire first year.

Ormathon
01.09.2012 , 03:48 PM | #19
When they added the CU and NGE they made the biggest error in MMO history. They killed 70% of their playerbase by removing pretty much everything that made the game fun. And without consulting with what the players really wanted, which was actual bug fixing. All they said before the major screw up was "these additions will make the game better". Guess thats what developers call making a suicide move. Me and my 3 friends canceld 12 subs total when the patch rolled out. Most of my guild members canceld 2-4 each aswell lol.

And stop talking about the swgemu, its still in alpha(might be beta now but still) state. They have been working hard as hell on it for around 4++ years. They are building their own engine for it just so they cant get copyright sued from hell. Everything is built from scratch with just the textures taken since you can apperently take those. And they dont pick out a salary ie, it takes the time it takes.

Darth_Syphilis
01.09.2012 , 04:23 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by rossonja View Post
Except for the Waypoints that it created and put on your map with arrows on the screen to point you to them....