Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[[MOVIE]] Oozo Strikes Back 4: Vanguard Tactics/Assault with Commentary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
[[MOVIE]] Oozo Strikes Back 4: Vanguard Tactics/Assault with Commentary

Raggok
01.08.2012 , 01:57 PM | #1
So, instead of making a second 31-39 Vanguard movie I decided to grind out the levels to 50. There were just too many geared 50s showing up on Empire and I didn't want to fall too far behind the curve. The difference between a geared 50 and a fresh 50 is quite huge.

Thus, I changed focus for the fourth movie in this series and decided to make it a 35-49 movie. Movies after this one will be level 50. As with the previous movie, I have added commentary. Some of the topics covered are listed below.
  • My build at 50
  • Conserving cooldowns
  • Line of sight (yes, again... it's that important)
  • Using interrupts
  • Fighting DPS Mercs
  • Predicting the enemy
  • Using objects to drop combat and heal

Time go gear up, I guess. I didn't have much luck with my 6 Champion bags when I hit 50. One earring and one implant.

This movie on Youtube
Blog post for this movie

Previous movies

OSB 1: 10-19 Vanguard (Entertainment style)
OSB 2: 20-29 Vanguard (Entertainment style)
Intergalactic Vanguard (6 person chain kill)
OSB 3: 30-39 Vanguard (Commentary style)
Check out my SWTOR PvP movies.
Follow me on Twitter for updates

Agroovesak
01.08.2012 , 02:14 PM | #2
As a Powertech player, I imagine your resource system is similar to ours. If it is, you really need to work on your resource management. You often go into the worst regen zone. A lot of this probably has to do with your spec, which didn't pick up either of the heat vents and relies purely on free impact bolt procs to vent heat. I would recommend losing the reactive shield talent in assault in order to pick up Combat Stims or just being much more careful about your moves. Plasma cell based specs have much worse heat venting than the other 2, so you have to be more careful about it. Especially since you don't seem to be planning on getting Rapid Recharge, Fire Pulse, or Adrenaline Fueled. All of which are important resource management tools for their respective trees.

Raggok
01.08.2012 , 02:27 PM | #3
Well, there is also a huge difference between running with a group and soloing. If I'm playing off a group I can afford to pace myself on ammo. When running solo, you just don't have that luxury.

For example, I ran low on ammo killing the marauder at the very beginning. Sure, I could have paced the damage out but then I would have been fighting two people at once instead of one when the bounty hunter added. Which is better in that situation? Dumping all of your ammo to kill one person quickly so you have enough time to regenerate resources out of combat before an add comes...or, pace out your damage and end up fighting multiple people at the same time?

You'll notice that I could have used recharge in that fight with the marauder, but I'm not going to waste a cooldown like that on an easy fight.

You have to KILL people as quickly as possible when you are running solo, and that means burning through your ammo.

If you want, I'll do a clip in Voidstar running between the doors while a team mate heals me doing nothing but Hammer Bolt and Inc Round for the DoT, but you will likely be quite bored.

Raggok
01.08.2012 , 02:31 PM | #4
Quote:
I would recommend losing the reactive shield talent in assault
No, but thanks. It's nice to have two (non-Tenacity) root-breakers in a game where roots don't build resolve or have diminishing returns.

That skill could easily make the difference between scoring or dying in Huttball, for example.

Kraigan
01.09.2012 , 07:08 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Raggok View Post
That skill could easily make the difference between scoring or dying in Huttball, for example.
What, you don't like to die in a fire?

Vlaid
01.09.2012 , 07:12 AM | #6
For ammo you want to be high

For heat you want to be low

So if you're thinking he's managing it poorly by going high on ammo that'd be incorrect.
50 Commando - Atreus - Hyperspace Cannon (PVE West Coast)
Because there's more to PVP than open world PVP.

Tokosteef
01.09.2012 , 07:27 AM | #7
Very intelligent videos.
Even as a non-trooper, I can still pick up a lot of good PVP tips from you.

Ramurdyne
01.09.2012 , 07:36 AM | #8
Nice video, this helps allot.

Rabbican
01.09.2012 , 07:42 AM | #9
Great video, you should have shown people how to handle operative / scoundrel (DPS)... maybe next video. Though I believe they will likely tweak hidden strike damage a bit... getting crit for 8.9k (he was bio-chem (stat stim + crit surge consum, with expertise stim, expertise buff, trinket, and I already had acid blade on me "50% armor debuff") this is through 400 expertise on my 50 sage healer.

Operatives and scoundrels are pretty tough to stop if they get opener, but you seem to knock many individuals out of stealth, which takes away their best attacks. I have to work on my smart placement of force-quake as a preventative measure, big resource cost for me though.
Shards of Alderaan, Helm of Graush, 50 Jedi Sage: Deceiver
Operation Latte Thunder, Helm of Graush, 50 Operative: Watcher

Raggok
01.09.2012 , 09:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbican View Post
Great video, you should have shown people how to handle operative / scoundrel (DPS)... maybe next video. Though I believe they will likely tweak hidden strike damage a bit... getting crit for 8.9k (he was bio-chem (stat stim + crit surge consum, with expertise stim, expertise buff, trinket, and I already had acid blade on me "50% armor debuff") this is through 400 expertise on my 50 sage healer.

Operatives and scoundrels are pretty tough to stop if they get opener, but you seem to knock many individuals out of stealth, which takes away their best attacks. I have to work on my smart placement of force-quake as a preventative measure, big resource cost for me though.
Ops are very hard (hardest class to fight, IMO) when they get the opener with tenacity down. If I live, I typically have to burn my defensive CDs and Hold the Line to try to reset the fight.

Also, I know Shadows can burn an ability to make them harder to see. I suspect Ops/Scoundrels have the same?

The 50 Ops I have beaten didn't seem to be very good, so I deleted those clips. I did catch them in stealth before the opener though.