Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

jebusnixon
01.07.2012 , 05:38 PM | #11
Halo: Reach is a great example of what they could do. It's a small amount of space where a lot happens. I didn't mind the current space combat except for two things; 1 its not mmo, you can never play it with another person. 2 The higher level missions are the same mission but now the fighters have shields and the enemies do more damage. Both these problems would be fixed if they let us fly around in the exact same mission space. 1 multiplayer because you go one way and your friend goes another. 2 you can change up the order in which you do the objectives.

And the quote about rpg players not understanding 3d gameplay is just silly. Is the ability to turn around really that devastating to us? Have some faith in your player base

Trooper assigned to Republic Centurions

♥~An RP guild that is LGBT friendly~♥

seatown
01.08.2012 , 06:08 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by jebusnixon View Post
And the quote about rpg players not understanding 3d gameplay is just silly. Is the ability to turn around really that devastating to us? Have some faith in your player base
yeah that particular quote hurt my brain and kind of made me feel insulted lol. By tht logic we shouldnt get speeders either and the game should be a 2d side scrolling adventure...

Goretzu
01.08.2012 , 06:15 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by seatown View Post

And Lastly a video of 3-axis space combat using the Hero Engine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-Jk3TmodY

Now that looks impressive.

The thing with the current mini-game is that if you watch (or play if you still have it) the original Star Fox, is that it is basically exactly the same thing...... just the graphics have been polished a bit and they've learned how to turn the rails.

But other than that it's basically a game from 1992.

Now a fully 3D space sim using that hero engine would be an impressive thing indeed and a massive addition to the game in terms of fun and re-playability.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Goretzu
01.08.2012 , 06:20 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ambrogino View Post
Not true, they proudly displayed this at E3 thinking people would love it.

It's good for what it is, but with repetition it gets old very quickly (it's actually more limited than the original Star Fox in some ways).

They certainly could expand it, but they aren't ever going to over come that type of games inherent flaws.

Now PvP in a proper off the rails version (more X-wing vs Tie Fighter or Freespace) would be great.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Kazz
01.08.2012 , 06:22 AM | #15
I'm hoping they go the X-Wing Vs. Tie fighter route. I could even live with a "Freelancer" style type of game. But what we have right now, while it met their stated goal of delivering a Cinematic experience, is just so far below what the IP, I feel deserves. This on-rails flight is BS.

I don't care what they say, spaceflight is a huge part of the Star Wars universe.

Contract whoever made the original X-Wing Vs. Tie fighter series, and have them make the space portion if Bio-Ware doesn't have the chops to do it.

P.S. I'd just like to add, if anyone from EA/Bioware is reading this thread. JUMP TO LIGHT SPEED was the greatest thing to happen to Galaxies in it's long sad history.
If the Continuim has told you once, they've told you a thousand times!....DON'T PROVOKE THE BORG!!!

Kazz
01.08.2012 , 06:31 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
It's good for what it is, but with repetition it gets old very quickly (it's actually more limited than the original Star Fox in some ways).

They certainly could expand it, but they aren't ever going to over come that type of games inherent flaws.

Now PvP in a proper off the rails version (more X-wing vs Tie Fighter or Freespace) would be great.
HOLY-COW! that link in your sig to the Star Wars Freelancer MOD is FREAKING AMAZING! I had no idea they made a Star Wars MOD for Freelancer. Is it still available?
If the Continuim has told you once, they've told you a thousand times!....DON'T PROVOKE THE BORG!!!

Rizick
01.08.2012 , 06:39 AM | #17
A beautiful constructive post. I to am eagerly hoping for the release of a better space engine.

I think a few small changes that could up the game is:

1.) Right now, space needs to be tied into the game. It shouldn't be a separate side quest you can pick up in your ship. It should be PART of the main story line. If I HAVE to fight my way through a fleet of enemy fighters to get to that top secret space station, suddenly my ship becomes important and I care about it. Right now using your ship doesn't have a point. I mean you get a bit of EXP and that's it. Add paint options, interior customization, and missions that blend with the galaxy instead of floating lifelessly at the side.

Bioware needs to makes space missions that blend into the actual plot line of the game. The death star wasn't some random *** side plot of the Star Wars universe. I was a super weapon that blended into the actual game.

2.) Give us some damn dialogue!
Look at Star Fox. That game was awesome! It had the same "Train Track" engine but what made it so great was the classic dialogue. Seeing your enemies pop up on the screen to threaten you, or that damn rabbit telling you to do a barrel roll... that was good stuff. Throw in some ally fighters to call me red leader and I can promise i'm going to love flying my ship MUCH MORE.

Enako
01.08.2012 , 06:47 AM | #18
they are going to make a space game.

and we are waiting a space game.

a space game in which you can travel in between the stars, do trading, do missions, do smuggling, would totally complete the game as 'star wars'.

most of the stuff they need is there anyway - the 'tube' shooter is actually a complete 3d sim - it just does not allow you to control where you are going in the space. if you just let it, it will be a full featured engine for space game instantly.

even the cockpits etc are already in game, due to spaceships already present in the game. even the starship upgrade system is in place, fully fledged.

all rest that's needed are missions.

seatown
01.08.2012 , 07:58 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Enako View Post
a space game in which you can travel in between the stars, do trading, do missions, do smuggling, would totally complete the game as 'star wars'.
Thats what im talking about, I want TOR to be the complete and ultimate Star Wars experience. While I would love a full space sim to compliment the ground game, with smugglers being able to smuggle, new ships, PvP, decorating the interiors, PoB ships, etc. I would still be happy with just a few free flight hot spots to start with and if it did well then they could expand upon it at a later date. And like I said in the OP i'm not demanding that they get to work on space immediately, there are a ton of bugs and fixes and ground content that needs tweaked, looking at you PvP, but I do want to get the voice of the pilots back out there lest bioware forgets about us

Gazzzenn
01.08.2012 , 08:10 PM | #20
while i hope the current issues get resolved first i don't think bioware should hold off to long on the space combat/exploration side of the game either.

what i hope they end up doing is a version of it much like how EVE is doing dusk 315(314?)
where the space combat side is the additional aspect rather than the main focus.

but i don't understand why in an IP like star wars...there is so little space combat of any kind, it is what i deem as one of the sole reasons i wanted the game i had visions of missions like that of rogue squadron or some such which would have been great....for me anyway.

tbh i'd welcome any addition to the space side of the game right now.