Revan (novel) - sad & feeling slightly empty

wilmera

Was anyone else disappointed with the character resolutions in the Revan novel?

I was, Mission and Zalbaar opening up their own bed, bath and beyond, Meetra getting killed, Revan imprisoned for 300 years, T3 becoming slag??? Kind of makes all those hours I invested on KOTOR feel worthless. Not to mention to see the Revan plot resolved you have to play one of the Jedi branches (not sure which one) which is frustrating because I'm the middle of my bounty hunter quest and I want to start another character to learn Revan's ultimate fate! I dunno, just sort of a sad end to those characters.

Not all negative though, I did love the part where Revan and Canderous found Mandalore's mask. Gave Canderous some serious character development. He's not just an old guy with muscle, he's got a wife.... had a wife.... well... ahem....

I'm 50/50 on that book. What do you think?

If by "see the resolution of the story", you mean Revan's fate after the novel... It's not exclusive to one class in the slightest. He is the focus of two flashpoints, which all classes can attend. (Note; Republic gets the first, and Empire the second. Empire gets the "full" ending.)

But yes, I am awfully disappointed in what happened to the poor, poor Exile. So much for being a master-tactician. :rolleyes:

Oh I remember reading that part, sure....

But you're interpreting Scourge's visions just like he was.... that they were absolutely certain. Revan told him, just like Yoda to Luke "Always in motion, the future is."

There was no absolute way of knowing if Scourge was seeing the absolute future. He felt that he knew all possible outcomes, I don't think that a dark sider would be THAT attuned to the force. Even Scourge commented (on some page in the book I don't remember) that there was no use for dark side prophets, because most dark siders were consumed by their anger, hatred, etc.

I just think Scourge was having a brush with BOTH sides of the force, saw the potential for its use, and then like all true dark siders, felt.... "hey, I instantly got this future vision thing down!"

I was feeling extremely empty after reading about how it ends for Revan and Meetra. It feels like I had been hoping a long time for some story book happy ending, but the one we got just... leaves a void. It's like you've lost a friend somehow, because I really did love both KotOR games. Probably getting a bit nerdy at this point, but keeping it at such an abrupt end just doesn't seem just.

I was feeling extremely empty after reading about how it ends for Revan and Meetra. It feels like I had been hoping a long time for some story book happy ending, but the one we got just... leaves a void. It's like you've lost a friend somehow, because I really did love both KotOR games. Probably getting a bit nerdy at this point, but keeping it at such an abrupt end just doesn't seem just.

Agreed!

For me, I liked it. The whole Ordo section gave me a nice little insight into that clan.

The overall ending? Well, it could have been handled better mayhaps, but I am happy with it anyway.

My Revan was the female *me* Revan, so this male/canonical can get what comes to him :p

If by "see the resolution of the story", you mean Revan's fate after the novel... It's not exclusive to one class in the slightest. He is the focus of two flashpoints, which all classes can attend. (Note; Republic gets the first, and Empire the second. Empire gets the "full" ending.)

But yes, I am awfully disappointed in what happened to the poor, poor Exile. So much for being a master-tactician. :rolleyes:

I'm playing the game as a single player game (the only time I'm grouping with anyone is when I'm waiting for a quest mob to respawn, and they invite me - I'm not going to be a dick and make them wait for the respawn, and I leave group as soon as the mob dies). So, is it in a Flashpoint that I'll be able to easily solo when I hit L50 and go back to do Flashpoints? If not, could you spoil me as to what is revealed, or at least tell me what Flashpoints are involved so I can go look it up?

Skatehead said it best, I think. After the two KotOR games and putting my heart and soul into Revan and the Exile, they felt like friends to me, or at least people I cared about deeply. Finding out their fate was heartbreaking, even though I knew it had to end badly because the Emperor is obviously still alive, and Revan and the Exile never returned.

**minor-ish TOR Taris spoilers**

I think Drew is incapable of writing a happy ending. Revan, Bane (Main character dies in the end. It's sad, even though he's evil.), and the fate of the Promised Ones are a couple examples. The man likes his downer endings.

Edited by kingdragun

Skatehead said it best, I think. After the two KotOR games and putting my heart and soul into Revan and the Exile, they felt like friends to me, or at least people I cared about deeply. Finding out their fate was heartbreaking, even though I knew it had to end badly because the Emperor is obviously still alive, and Revan and the Exile never returned.

**minor-ish TOR Taris spoilers ahead**

I think Drew is incapable of writing a happy ending. Revan, Bane (Main character dies in the end. It's sad, even though he's evil.), and the fate of the Promised Ones are a couple examples. The man likes his downer endings.

**end spoilers**

Agreed. First thing I thought when I heard Taris was the Promised Land, and then I find the holocrons and I'm like, Dude, what the hell!?

What was even worse was that they FOUND the Promised Lands, and lived through the damn assault. I ignored it in KotOR, because I figured they'd died like everyone else. But no, the Promised Lands were destroyed and they had to suffer for a long time before they would finally just die out.

Edited by Skatehead

**minor-ish TOR Taris spoilers**

The bane trilogy's ending could be looked at two different ways, because truly if you liked Bane at all you'd realize that Bane would have wanted his apprentice to be victorious and not a failure. I really don't think it was sad, more like bitter-sweet.

I agree. I haven't felt that sad and "empty", as the OP very accurately put it, after reading a book, well, I don't think ever. That being said, I don't read a ton anymore, but still, after investing most of my young adolescence to KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2, I was definitely really saddened by the fate of all of my favorite characters. Bastila's fate really saddened me. That final scene with her in KOTOR 1 when you finally convince her to recognize that she loves you was a very touching scene, in my opinion. I'm a dude but I'm kind of a big softie when romances are done well, and I loved the Revan/Bastila romance (I happen to think it is possibly the best romance in any video game I've ever played ever)...so to see it end in that manner was incredibly disappointing. And yeah, the way that the exile got killed from behind...such a crappy way for such an awesome character to go.

I also thought that the book at times felt too rushed, particularly towards the beginning. I mean I just like flew right through the parts where Revan was at home...It would have been nice to see a couple of small scenes of him doing things around home aside from talking with Canderous in shady places and having incredibly short conversations with his wife. I love the social aspect of RPG games and I think the book didn't do that part of rpg games enough justice--I felt like the book just rushed through all of the best social scenes so that it could just get to the combat and dark parts...which I think is cool, but it's a book, not a movie. If it had been a movie, where audiences start to get really antsy after say, 2 or 3 hours, I'd understand the rush. But I think that had the author stretched out the social scenes in the beginning of the book, the middle of the book, and the ending of the book, I think that the action-packed and dramatic scenes would have felt that much more "important" since we would have been more socially invested in Revan and the characters whom he affects.

You can't really hate Scourge for making that choice.

He saw a vast array of possible outcomes and chose the best of the bunch. Read those pages again if you still dislike him. If he had gone along with the initial plan, all of them would be dead.

Would probably be dead*

The Book is borderline. Revan's involvement in ths MMO? is a travesty of era destroying Cluster-F's. unforgivable.

To mirror other posters here, The Characters we loved for so long deserved a far better send off.

Edited by adamqd

This book was only made to show why both of the charaters are so imporatnt in TOR so we all didnt go *** why are they all alive god ect ect this way most of the fan base can understand why both of them are still kicking and why it is the jedi knight is the most important class >>

Y'know, there's actually a dedicated forum for these types of posts.

Edit: for reference, Revan is a part of the TOR story and should go in the Story and Lore (and possibly even Spoiler) forums, not the general Star Wars forum.

Edited by Osagasu

Y'know, there's actually a dedicated forum for these types of posts.

Edit: for reference, Revan is a part of the TOR story and should go in the Story and Lore (and possibly even Spoiler) forums, not the general Star Wars forum.

Too bad the story and lore forums is filled with endless topics about datacron locations...

As far as Revan goes, The same writer who created him for KoTOR, wrote the Revan book, and wrote his story throughout this game as well. You can't accuse Bioware of ruining their own character. He is theirs to do with as they please.

Revan's fate is far cooler than simply dying of old age. What more do you people want?