Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I make 2 credits from slicing and I like it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
I make 2 credits from slicing and I like it

Thanatosx's Avatar


Thanatosx
01.06.2012 , 03:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
At the risk of being flamed, slicing missions should not return credits at all. It should return augments, schematics and perhaps random loot for all other crew skills.
I disagree, besides there are always skills that fill that void and it would really make slicing redundant. BW put it in there for the causal players who didn't want to have to spend hours grinding out a crafting skill and as a way for those people to contribute to the economy.

[/quote]The fact that it returns credits is what makes slicing broken. The fact that any player expects to pay X credits to send their companion on a mission to receive a guaranteed X * Y% return in credits is broken and will cause economic inflation on their server. Does anyone really believe they should be able to sit on their ship and send their companions out to make "free" money without even leaving the ship?

Harvesting slicing nodes out in the open world should return credits.[/QUOTE]

Again, I disagree, that really isn't what makes slicing broken. It's people who abused and exploited the system that made slicing broken. Just like the people going out in the world and finding ways to exploit and abuse the lockboxes.

Slicers weren't expecting to make guaranteed returns when sending their companions out. Nor is there any kind of proof it would cause economic inflaction -- which is going to happen anyway, since inflation happens in all MMO's. Especially now that the gold farmers have incentive.

Every other crafter can sit on their ship and make "free" money too, so why not slicers *shrugs*
Triumvirate of Wraith
http://wraith.miratos.com
Standard Disclaimer applies for all posts, including IMHO

Purlana's Avatar


Purlana
01.06.2012 , 03:30 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Velisael View Post
O_o ... mmm, because slicers gather credits and a chance to get augments and missions and is not linked to another craft like scavenging? It is the only gathering skill that does not specifically support a craft? Hence why it was meant for the "non-crafters"?

Every other craft needs 1 mission and 1 gathering to be self sufficient. But none of the craftining skills require slicing. Again hence it was meant for "non-crafters"?

Or did I just misunderstand you?
What I mean is what would be the point of slicing if it could only be used to harvest credit nodes in the world? (I was refering to the post about slicing being refered to as a harvest only skill)

Just pick up another gathering skill and sell your gathered materials...

The other gathering skills also adjust themselves for inflation (since market prices go up) while slicing does not

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
01.06.2012 , 03:44 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Purlana View Post
Then that is a bad design flaw.

Eaither way they need to fix it or remove slicing. No one should ever pay 2k credits and return with 1.5k, that's just pointless...

What if you had to pay your companion 2 kyrat scales just to get 1 in return? That makes 0 sense...
I wouldn't have a problem with it if you paid 2k for your companion to go out and come back with 1.5k + a schematic.

I am completely against slicing returning 3.5k for a 2k cost mission though.

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
01.06.2012 , 03:48 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Thanatosx View Post
Every other crafter can sit on their ship and make "free" money too, so why not slicers *shrugs*
No other crew skill makes free money while sitting on their ship and sending out their companions.

The value of what the other mission skills bring in is completely dependent on the market for those type of commodities. If no one needs cultural artifacts at this time, then all of those are worthless to me. With slicing, you didn't have to mess with the global market, you pulled in a lunchbox full of credits immediately for no loss, other than the time your companion spent away from the ship.

It's broken. It'll be broken until either mission skills return less credits than the cost of the mission or they change it into a casino type payout - where you have a small random chance at hitting it big and a larger chance of losing your investment.

Purlana's Avatar


Purlana
01.06.2012 , 03:52 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with it if you paid 2k for your companion to go out and come back with 1.5k + a schematic.

I am completely against slicing returning 3.5k for a 2k cost mission though.
In my opinion the whole mission system is useless if the goods returned has a lower value then the cost of the mission.

Because in that case why would anyone ever run a mission? Just camp the GTN and wait for the "suckers" to sell the mission rewards.

Or maybe the economy on select servers are just plain broken...

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
01.06.2012 , 04:01 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Purlana View Post
In my opinion the whole mission system is useless if the goods returned has a lower value then the cost of the mission.

Because in that case why would anyone ever run a mission? Just camp the GTN and wait for the "suckers" to sell the mission rewards.

Or maybe the economy on select servers are just plain broken...
Credits return + schematic/augment > cost of mission.

The credits returned alone should not exceed the cost of the mission.

Purlana's Avatar


Purlana
01.06.2012 , 04:05 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
Credits return + schematic/augment > cost of mission.

The credits returned alone should not exceed the cost of the mission.
The credit missions have a rare chance to drop a schematic. If they bumped up the chance of schematic drops the value of schematics would naturally decrease.

Raeln's Avatar


Raeln
01.06.2012 , 04:16 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Purlana View Post
The credit missions have a rare chance to drop a schematic. If they bumped up the chance of schematic drops the value of schematics would naturally decrease.
Seriously.

Augment would be the common reward, schematic the rare.

Since slicing is not "recommended" for any crafting skill, I see no reason why the common reward couldn't be the supplies for any crafting skill. It could be like a "get anything" type skill. Oh hey look, that safe contained some Nutrient Gel - I could sell that a biochem on the galactic network.

Purlana's Avatar


Purlana
01.06.2012 , 04:20 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
Seriously.

Augment would be the common reward, schematic the rare.

Since slicing is not "recommended" for any crafting skill, I see no reason why the common reward couldn't be the supplies for any crafting skill. It could be like a "get anything" type skill. Oh hey look, that safe contained some Nutrient Gel - I could sell that a biochem on the galactic network.
Then they should have implemented it as such (Without the credit box option)....

Didn't they have ample to to think about this before release?

Anyway im getting off from work, TGIF! :P

va_wanderer's Avatar


va_wanderer
01.06.2012 , 04:23 PM | #30
The real answer?

Keeping it as-is would have resulted in piles of AFK Slicers in nice safe places botting missions to make credits to RMT later.

You want credits slicing now, you run around and nab sliceable items and yoink yourself some credits that way, instead. It still gives you other interesting things, and you can use credit missions to up your skill very cheaply, compared to most crew skills.