Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slicing: Why it had to be nerfed.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing: Why it had to be nerfed.

LeperJack's Avatar


LeperJack
01.06.2012 , 09:18 AM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
The math isn't hard. For one server:

Max companions * 8 toons * profit/minute for lengthy 400 level slicing quests.
I think you misunderstood the nature of my request.

First, let me address one thing about your reasoning:

5 companions sent out at once is available only at level 50. That is 8 level 50 toons on one server.

The pre-nerf return on slicing for 8 level 50 toons all slicing constantly with all their companions which were also all at max affection was STILL less than the raw credits that would be earned by just grinding with ONE level 50 character on that server, and requires far less time invested.

I know you really think a million credits is a lot. I know when I first started WoW some years ago, and was around level 20 I really thought that just having one gold piece made you wealthy and anyone who had 100 or more must have seriously cheated, and I could not fathom how anyone could afford their first mount at 40, much less that crazy one at 50.

And then I realized that my income at level 20 was much less than the income at 50. The economy was not, could not, and SHOULD not have been based around my income at 20. You, apparently, have not.

Moving past this:

My request was for you to show how other crew skills lose money using reasoned figures and example numbers, which several slicers have provided. As a matter of fact, even the folks claiming "I HAVE SO MUCH MONEY, I MAKE SO MUCH MONEY! LOOK AT MY AWESOME 3 GOLD PIECES THAT ONLY TOOK ME 40 HOURS OF CONSTANT MICROMANAGING AND NOT ACTUALLY PLAYING TO GET! I'M RICH SLICING NEEDZ ANOTHER NERF!!!" are actually proving my point for me, because they have no idea how little money they're "bragging" about.
"I think I know enough of hate / To say that for destruction ice / Is also great / And would suffice."
--Robert Frost

LeperJack's Avatar


LeperJack
01.06.2012 , 09:33 AM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
That statement is patently false. Slicing lockbox missions (above Rank 1) are profitable over time. They may not be as profitable as they were pre-adjustment, but they are still profitable.
I agree. If you spend enough time on this skill, you will return "profit."

However: I can spend $2,000 on a stock. I can hold onto that stock for 2 years, and then sell it for $2,010. I have "technically" made profit, but I've made less profit than if I'd just dropped that money in a bank, and certainly less than if I had bought one of several other, better producing stocks.

I don't take issue with you claiming that it is profitable. I take issue with people who claim that it is either:
1) more profitable than all other skills still--it is still the lowest producer, and actually was well before the nerf.
2) as profitable as other skills now--again, it was the lowest actual producer of profit and continues to be, only now by a much wider margin.

Quote:
Slicing is a gathering profession. Gathering professions can harvest resource nodes in the world. Slicing can harvest resource nodes in the world. It is a gathering profession.
Once again, I agree.

Slicing, however is (and was) the lowest income gathering profession by far. Like-level materials harvested from nodes return more profit when sold than slicing lockboxes ever did. Gathering missions for other skills also returned more cash in profit per minute than their slicing analogs.

Quote:
The beauty of slicing is that you don't have to bother selling what you gather. With slicing, you slice a node, you right-click the box, and you get credits. Your reward is immediate and hassle- and thought-free.

With other gathering professions like Biochem or Scavenging, you slice a node and give up inventory space until you can get to the GTN. Then you browse GTN to figure out what your resource is selling for and decide whether or not to list it. If you list it, you decide on a price. If you don't list it, you keep storing it. If you do list it, you give up 15% of the listing price as a deposit while the item is listed. Then you wait. The item may or may not sell. If it sells, you get money an hour later. If it doesn't sell, you collect it from your mailbox and start the GTN process all over again.

Do you see why gathering skills other than Slicing should have a better return than Slicing?
Yes, you had to wait for someone to buy them from you to see the credits in your account, but that's the nature of the game. You took a (small) risk, and got a much higher reward.

Of course your short-sighted cries fo "nerf anyone who has money to buy my things pl0x!" has resulted in... less people to buy your things, so now you take more risk and wait longer for a smaller reward. Even with this, slicing still makes far less than you can.

Other gathering skills ALWAYS had a better return than slicing. If you chose to dump your materials on the vendor or destroy them for bag space, or sell them on the GTN for less than what they cost you to gather, then why the hell are you surprised that you made less money because you intentionally chose not to? Why are you so hell bent on punishing the entirety of the economy for your own idiocy?
"I think I know enough of hate / To say that for destruction ice / Is also great / And would suffice."
--Robert Frost

MrOuija's Avatar


MrOuija
01.06.2012 , 09:39 AM | #353
I agree it had to be nerfed. Imagine the chinese gold farmers.. Omg.

But yeah, I discarded that Crew Skill shortly after the nerf.
Profit was only like 100-200 credits on a mission at 400 skill.
Totally pointless imho :/

LeperJack's Avatar


LeperJack
01.06.2012 , 09:51 AM | #354
Quote: Originally Posted by MrOuija View Post
I agree it had to be nerfed. Imagine the chinese gold farmers.. Omg.

But yeah, I discarded that Crew Skill shortly after the nerf.
Profit was only like 100-200 credits on a mission at 400 skill.
Totally pointless imho :/
What function do gold farmers serve when everyone has easy access to money?

They certainly serve a purpose now.
"I think I know enough of hate / To say that for destruction ice / Is also great / And would suffice."
--Robert Frost

Nicolina's Avatar


Nicolina
01.06.2012 , 12:20 PM | #355
(sorry for my bad english)

I disagree the original post.

Was in the beta and pretty sure I read that Slicing was implemented for people who don't want to craft or don't have time for so they can still generate credits. Yes people can still farm level 50 dragons 3 hours to generate some income but i'm sure everybody will agree it's an old-fashion POV and a mistake.

Now, I'm a slicer. I got 2.6Mils credits and already a 1.5Mil speeder. Tell me, what can I do with my credits ? Because I would like to feel rich. Tell me what should I buy ?

- I reroll, OK, then I can please the crafters because they crafts purple armors for my new level 22 toon. Who else would do that ? Surely not someone whos is at that level with his main.

- I buy some epic crafted stuff, cool ? Well, my PVP gear is WAY better then what I can find on GTN.

- Only thing that changed for me is that I don't have to farm or work nights to get some incomes. Yes I'm lazy, but I love PVP and focus on this.

So tell me now, how I destroyed the economy ? Where is the inflation where there is nothing interesting to buy ?? The only big spend I made is a 1.5Mil speeder to an NPC.

Edit : My POV is that all the crafting is pretty broken and people dream about an economy that have no reason to exists in the current state of the game. And to the crafters : Most of level 50 players don't care what you craft, sorry. I won't buy your 110K uber implants you made from a crit, because the one I looted for a 30 minutes pvp effort is 20% better.

Witnezz's Avatar


Witnezz
01.06.2012 , 12:47 PM | #356
Seriously, enough with the QQ

How did you expect our Chinese credit farming overlords to make a living with slicing the way it was.

Support your local sweat shop, revel in the nerf ...

swtor-credit
starwarscredit
swtorcreditslife

etc etc etc ... in the week following the nerf 618,000 sites alone popped up. With slicing the way it was people didn't need the farmers, they had a skill that allowed them to acquire their own credits in a reasonable amount of time and enjoy the game the way they saw fit ...

Damn those casual players straight to hell ... A billion farmers were starving thanks to you heartless wenches.

Be thankful you now have another assembly line grindfest mmo and count your damn blessings!

Besides WoW was getting old, it needed a new skin
--== 1020 ==--
--= 367 =--
--=111111=--

Zennshi's Avatar


Zennshi
01.06.2012 , 02:56 PM | #357
Quote: Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
(sorry for my bad english)

I disagree the original post.

Was in the beta and pretty sure I read that Slicing was implemented for people who don't want to craft or don't have time for so they can still generate credits. Yes people can still farm level 50 dragons 3 hours to generate some income but i'm sure everybody will agree it's an old-fashion POV and a mistake.

Now, I'm a slicer. I got 2.6Mils credits and already a 1.5Mil speeder. Tell me, what can I do with my credits ? Because I would like to feel rich. Tell me what should I buy ?

- I reroll, OK, then I can please the crafters because they crafts purple armors for my new level 22 toon. Who else would do that ? Surely not someone whos is at that level with his main.

- I buy some epic crafted stuff, cool ? Well, my PVP gear is WAY better then what I can find on GTN.

- Only thing that changed for me is that I don't have to farm or work nights to get some incomes. Yes I'm lazy, but I love PVP and focus on this.

So tell me now, how I destroyed the economy ? Where is the inflation where there is nothing interesting to buy ?? The only big spend I made is a 1.5Mil speeder to an NPC.

Edit : My POV is that all the crafting is pretty broken and people dream about an economy that have no reason to exists in the current state of the game. And to the crafters : Most of level 50 players don't care what you craft, sorry. I won't buy your 110K uber implants you made from a crit, because the one I looted for a 30 minutes pvp effort is 20% better.
And there you have it, someone with the balls to say it finally did.
Peace is a lie, only passion exists.

Velisael's Avatar


Velisael
01.06.2012 , 03:13 PM | #358
Quote: Originally Posted by Witnezz View Post
Seriously, enough with the QQ

How did you expect our Chinese credit farming overlords to make a living with slicing the way it was.

Support your local sweat shop, revel in the nerf ...

swtor-credit
starwarscredit
swtorcreditslife

etc etc etc ... in the week following the nerf 618,000 sites alone popped up. With slicing the way it was people didn't need the farmers, they had a skill that allowed them to acquire their own credits in a reasonable amount of time and enjoy the game the way they saw fit ...

Damn those casual players straight to hell ... A billion farmers were starving thanks to you heartless wenches.

Be thankful you now have another assembly line grindfest mmo and count your damn blessings!

Besides WoW was getting old, it needed a new skin
LOL I like this... I posted something similar before...

BioWare hates gold farming in general and they have brought out the banstick to prove it! BioWare realized, pre-nerf slicing made it easy for even the most casual player be a .. you got it! ... a gold farmer!! BioWare says, well we can't have that! Wave the nerf-stick!

Funny thing is the gold farmer has not said a peep (probably because they don't have the English to put together an eloquent rant!) ... but they are still gold farming (they just recently sold me a portion of their contraband stock)! Which means the gold farming overlord is still paying more subs for more accounts than each individual account holder (like Zennshi) - OH THE IRONY BIOWARE! ... All while not saying a peep! Now, if the gold farmer doesn't care (and he feeds mouths in RL doing it) then why should Zennshi care so much?

Plus if Zennshi et al., truly care about the state of the economy, why not kill 2 birds with one stone?! Buy from the lowly gold farmer giving him more incentive to pump credits into our ailing SWTOR economy and create frivolous consumption in our RL economy? And if Zennshi et al., claim "I don't have a job in this ailing economy" OR "I don't make enough to spend it on crap like that", ... well that sucks... you are not doing your part in supporting our RL global economy which really should be more important :P

Sorry Zennshi... had to poke fun lol...