Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Darth_Gao_Gao
01.06.2012 , 12:24 PM | #201
they caught it pretty early in the game, relatively speaking. i remember when eve online had a duplicating item exploit that fueled the most powerful of alliances. it was a good day when they were caught, but it was too late for the money they generated was already too embedded in the economic system to be removed.

while some damage has been done to the economy with slicing prenerf, and this exploit, given that it's still very early in the game, i think we can recover.

Trehud
01.06.2012 , 12:28 PM | #202
I am debating quitting now... I really enjoyed the game so far; however, making money and merching has always been my favorite part of any game. I played Runescape and merched for years but i quit that game too when people got money unfairly. I am not going to spend hours and hours learning how to buy and sell items efficiently when such a leak has already occurred. SWTOR is now a bad game for merchers and it isn't recoverable. I have played for 3 weeks and dedicated much of my vacation to SWTOR/merching and I hear that people have 500 million gold from cheating? I would never be able to catch up unless i dedicate my life to my mom's basement for an entire year... and if i did i would just be called a cheater.

I wanted to start a fresh game where no one was super rich and become a rich player through legitimate means. That is no longer possible. **** YOU cheaters for ruining a great game.. Seriously **** you.
Veni, vidi, vici

DarthSublimitas
01.06.2012 , 12:31 PM | #203
"Every single person who used this xpoit is now an enemy of the Empire. Show no mercy..."
"The Truth Shall Free Me"
And humour makes our lives worth living:
http://www.lo-ping.org/2012/01/20/th...ode-iii-and-v/ Why it's bad to plagiarize:http://auditorydepredation.files.wor...6231905169.jpg

DharkenKnight
01.06.2012 , 12:37 PM | #204
Economy exploits, gold farming, real world for ingame currency peddling, character sales, these are all *proven* MMO killers with ample cases and learnings go go by. In Everquest, character sales and currency selling spiraled out of control as people would simply power level characters up (by camping everything in sight so nobody else could ever complete quests) and then sell them on Ebay.

Eventually you couldn't even compelete the higher level stuff because half your group would be people controlling epic level characters with absolutely no clue what they were doing - they just dropped 30-50 bucks on Ebay and passed everyone behind.

Gold farming/selling in WoW, as many of us know, crushed any usefulness in an already limited crafting system, dumbed down any shot in hell at role playing because half the players in a zone were bots, and the other half only spoke Chinese.

Eve Online ended up having to cave to currency farming and selling issues, much to the dismay of the lions share of players - but with a completely player driven economy, they faced the collapse of the entire game if they didn't get into the business of legalizing the sale of ISK.

I can go on, and on, and on. It is not an easy situation for any company to handle, not even Bioware who I have to say has done an amazing job out of the gate with this game.

Ultimately, when in game economies fail, systems that rely on them fail. The value of activities is diminished, and this effects core gaming theories - if you don't have to work to get something, it isn't valuable once you attain it.
-- I've got a bad feeling about this.--
~Dharken Knight

PyGoN
01.06.2012 , 12:42 PM | #205
I'm lucky in a sense that i do not have enough time to play at a level where i would be affected by this problem. . .

I used to enjoy controlling item markets on other various MMOs, this was rather time consuming though. It was not an issue when i was in high school as i had plenty of time.

Now that i have graduated college and work a full time job, I have enough time to pvp a bit, quest a bit, craft a bit, and run 1-2 instances per day.

If i was still trying to maintain a stranglehold on various items in the aution house, i would be concerned as i would not be getting the prices i believe i deserved for my wares. As i mentioned before, however, i do not have the time, or really care, to be competitive in the market any more. I have been more than able to equipe my character with sufficient items, and credits, to be competitive with my peers.

So in summation; Bioware, Fix the problem (as im sure you are/have) and i got no problem with you. let the morons ruin their experience with the game by manufacturing credits, sounds like something a board 13 year old would do anyway, they got the time and want afterall. this is an expoit that would have never caught my eye, as i prefer to earn my way in MMOs, thats what makes the fun for me.

Great work Bioware. As always i think your doing a wonderful job on a new MMO, cant wait to see what the future holds for this game.
I'm in your threadzz

Postin my thoughtzzzz

BlutigKoch
01.06.2012 , 12:57 PM | #206
These past few posts have been excellent

Amonet
01.06.2012 , 12:59 PM | #207
Where does it say the exploiters have been taken care off?

Leggomy
01.06.2012 , 01:05 PM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by Amonet View Post
Where does it say the exploiters have been taken care off?
They cannot discuss actions they take against players accounts. They would be violating their own privacy agreement.

SWGVet
01.06.2012 , 01:14 PM | #209
Hopefully the developers find these people responsible for doing these exploits and bans them for good. This shouldn't be tolerated by any means.
Dhath
The Bastion
Sith Marauder

AllisonBerryman
01.06.2012 , 01:19 PM | #210 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
We're aware of your concerns regarding this issue, and are conducting a full investigation of the impact. Please rest assured that anyone found to be in violation of our Terms of Service will have appropriate action taken against them. We will provide more information as it becomes available. Thank you!