Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Colicoid War Games needs some work.

Thourton
01.06.2012 , 10:47 AM | #1
I'm not here to bash but critique and hopefully see an interesting and varied concept become fun, because right now, the Colicoid War Games flashpoint is agonizing--but the concept is solid and really got me excited.

--

The Turret Game
The intuition here is to have each player in a turret with their backs to each other defending their quadrant. Unfortunately, that doesn't work, because the turret mechanic is way too cumbersome to deal with the vast number of enemies.

The strategy here then becomes either:
  • Healer stays out of a turret and heals the other three players. This would seem sensible, but then why have four turrets and not just three, if this is intended?
  • Each player faces in toward each other and shoots bugs behind other players. This is not intuitive by any means. Why am I shooting through other players' turrets?

Both of these strategies turn a near-impossible mechanic into a near-laughable faceroll, and that disparity reeks of broken mechanics--not to mention, these strategies don't seem like what the developers intended for the group to do.

The recommendations I can think of would be:
  • Give the turret a unique ability hotbar with a long-cooldown single-target attack and a short-cooldown AOE attack that the player controls. The aim-and-sPRAY (emphasis on pray here) is just too cumbersome and finicky to be effective--unless you use one of these counter-intuitive strategies.
  • Reduce the amount of enemies. The overwhelmed sensation is exciting, and I'm not saying the enemies should trickle out, but maybe a few enemies attack all at once and then different quadrants get hit with a lot of enemies forcing the players to help each other.

The Maze Game
Okay, where the mechanics of The Turret Game are at least conquerable--and maybe even excusable--the mechanics of this maze are simply broken. This is bad to the point that it's miserable to complete.

Here's what I get and even appreciate:
  • Players have to split up to operate consoles to unlock force fields.
  • Elite Patrol Droids are easy to focus down but a little more daunting when the group is split up. They also have a mean reusable knockback that's avoidable but can still be tricky.

Those mechanics are great. Sure, the first Elite Patrol Droid my group attacked knocked off one of our members for an insta-kill. We learned immediately to not position ourselves with backs to edges. Before we split up, we cleared out the area. We understood the mechanics, and we were ready to knock it out.

Then things got ridiculous, and here's what I don't understand:
  • The Elite Patrol Droids respawn after a few minutes and use the mess out of that knockback ability.
  • The Elite Patrol Droids don't like to stand still. They move around making positioning yourself to not get knocked off more difficult.
  • These stupid droids seem to spawn right on top of me, a healer, as soon as I'm running to unlock the final gate. Okay, I'm probably exaggerating, but it did honestly seem like every time we split up to unlock gates, an Elite Patrol Droid would spawn near someone and knock them off an edge.

It just became overkill for the enemy to have so many ways to screw us over. It no longer felt like us versus challenge mechanics but us versus luck. Could we manage enough luck to clear out respawns, split up, and unlock force fields before another droid spawned and knocked someone off an edge?

The recommendations I can think of would be:
  • Get rid of the knockback ability on the respawning Elite Patrol Droids. Keep it on the enemies already there when the group arrives. It's a challenge; it's frustrating, but it's beatable. But when the group has to split up, it's already a challenge for a single player to face one of these droids without the thing having a reusable insta-kill ability. It's just overkill and turns a challenge into plain misery.

--

The rest of the flashpoint was standard boss fights, and as frustrated as I was with the whole thing, I really did enjoy the variety of gameplay with the turrets and maze. It's just badly needing some tweaks and tinkering.

MetleAntiga
01.06.2012 , 11:15 AM | #2
I've recently ran this and found it the most fun I had in a flash point! But that's just me.
The turrets actually require you to have 4 evenly hard working party members to complete is as intended. And it's simple once you prioritize targets and get use to the handling of the turret which is you AIM it shoots automatically.
Priority should be Droids, fast/small, large/slow.
Everyone guard their 90% and you should be fine.

Although the Knock back on the maze can be frustrating, it's a fun way to test your positioning and adaptation to your surroundings.
And I know that they come back after a few minutes if you push the Droids off the ledge, I think you experienced that as a respawn. Might be wrong on this point.

All in all, I like it because it makes you into a better player which everyone will benefit from in the later raids.

Thourton
01.06.2012 , 11:37 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MetleAntiga View Post
I've recently ran this and found it the most fun I had in a flash point! But that's just me.
It's not just you. I really wanted to enjoy this flashpoint, and I love the concept of the mechanics here. But I was so annoyed with how overwhelming and much overkill the enemies have.

But this is definitely an interesting and exciting flashpoint.

The turrets actually require you to have 4 evenly hard working party members to complete is as intended. And it's simple once you prioritize targets and get use to the handling of the turret which is you AIM it shoots automatically.
Priority should be Droids, fast/small, large/slow.
Everyone guard their 90% and you should be fine.
Again, I'm right with you. We were all over this--taking out the ranged droids as soon as they show up; using the AOE of the turret to knock out the little guys. But it was like we just couldn't kill fast enough. One slip-up caused a wipe. And then we started using backwards (literally) strategies and rolled through the turret sections.

Although the Knock back on the maze can be frustrating, it's a fun way to test your positioning and adaptation to your surroundings.
And I know that they come back after a few minutes if you push the Droids off the ledge, I think you experienced that as a respawn. Might be wrong on this point.
They respawn no matter how you kill them, and we killed a bunch of them in many different ways--and they us.

All in all, I like it because it makes you into a better player which everyone will benefit from in the later raids.
Agreed. This flashpoint is a great strategy check for higher level players. Can you see a challenge, adapt, and overcome? Can you learn? That's fantastic, but I felt like even after my group had learned, we were still being destroyed by dumb luck knockback placement.

einsoff
01.06.2012 , 11:39 AM | #4
i think it works just fine. i love it.

JJusticeAbove
01.06.2012 , 12:27 PM | #5
You are probably right on the turret part. That just seems too easy once you have figured out that strategy (I guarantee your group wipes unless they ALL understand how to user the turrets AND that strategy).

The second part is laughable when you know how it works. The patrol droid is a chump, all you have to do is have your group stand against one of the many blue walls around the place and DPS him down. Then you use pushbacks and knockouts on the droids sitting at the gate controls as they can just be pushed off the ledges for an easy kill. If your group is quick enough you should only have to face that Patrol droid 2 times. One time at the first part of the Maze and then a second time at the second part.

Its a Flashpoint though, its not meant to be overly difficult, just a challenge for a party that is about at level 38-41. Once, you learn the mechanics of Colicoid War Games it is the quickest run in the game at this point. I clocked a run at just about 30 minutes.

Rextab
01.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #6
ive never gotten past the guns because im always in a group where there is at least one person that can't work the guns and we all die.
the guns are cumbersome, but manageable.
id say either:
1. give a small wave at first so people can get used to the mechanic before you just overwhelm the group. sending a mass at the start on a new mechanic is just really bad game design
2. reduce the health or number of the invaders a bit
3. draw the camera back automatically so you can see when someone else is getting overrun so you can assist
4. possible add a knockback/shield to temporarily help you if some enemies get through
5. change the interface for the guns entirely, possibly to a point/shoot system like space combat...something people SHOULD be familiar with by that point in the game

can't comment on the rest of the flashpoint yet. easily the worst flashpoint in the game right now that i've seen. the others have been a blast