Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Chompski
01.06.2012 , 05:46 AM | #1
Dear community, I urge you all to contribute your thoughts to this topic as frequently as possible.

As many of you know by now, SWTOR's recent patch removed some serious financial exploit which have caused economies on all of the game's servers to be badly damaged. Players was able to, naturally, generate infinite amounts of credtis to meet all their possible and impossible needs.
More info can be found here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/commen...of_you_out_of/

In my humble opinion, many people (me included), upon realising inequity of this "little" problem, will be "in thought", to say the least.
When we talking about some kind of PVP exploiting, or even little PVE exploiting (like recent /getdown bug), this is tolerable, because "main stream" of players is unaffected. But when we talking about MMORPG server's economy, this poses a very huge threat to all its inhabitants, because it is bread and butter of the game. Those who think otherwise may want to ignore this post and do something else instead.

So, it rises 2 critical questions to Bioware:

1. Firstly, what measures will be taken against exploiters?

2. Secondly, but more importantly, how do you intend to combat those tricky types who used evasive maneuvres of washing off those illegal credits ( using throwaway accounts, GTN transactions, in-game mail etc)?

Let us not allow this dire situation to be resolved by temporary suspension, which really not help much.

What I personally like to see:
1. Temporary/Permabans to exploiters (really people, you should've known what you're doing in advance), theirs throwaway and main accounts.
2. Withdrawal of all illegal creds from circulation.

Annedromeda
01.06.2012 , 05:56 AM | #2
I concur. It's like anything else in life - play by the rules or beware the consequences.
When a man dies, a swarm of highly charged energies deserts the body and goes out into space entering another cycle of life. These energies have an IMMORTAL nature. -Thomas Edison

Slurmez
01.06.2012 , 06:00 AM | #3
Warhammer online had a duping bug known about for a long time, once it surfaced to prominance the lethargic devs went on a mad banning spree, banning whole guilds even if some people within them never used the exploit and this was on a dying MMO so if I was one of the exploiters I would be VERY afraid about now because its all easily trackable

EngineerDavid
01.06.2012 , 06:06 AM | #4
I agree, this is illegal and should be punished...

I also don't understand the fun in this... You just get millions of credits, what's it all worth then... The fun in this game is about becoming stronger every day, by playing it consistently, and if you want to buy something, you got to earn the credits first!!!

Sadly, another problem for Bioware, there hands are already full (or should be full) with the lag problems... By the time they have solved that, the money is probably gone or untraceable...

jdgdcg
01.06.2012 , 06:10 AM | #5
The first patch broke the slicing skill.
The second patch broke exploits.
The third patch broke more exploits.

Eight hours every time, at least, to resolve... NOTHING of the game itself. I don't care about exploits. I care about trying to play and if i can't harvest anything and Bioware is more troubled about the exploits... we've a problem. How many players are affected by the exploits? And how many about the lots of bugs?
More work for the players please.

Shadowhand
01.06.2012 , 06:36 AM | #6
Now they fixed this exploit... what was it? im curious...

Slackstar
01.06.2012 , 06:41 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by jdgdcg View Post
The first patch broke the slicing skill.
The second patch broke exploits.
The third patch broke more exploits.

Eight hours every time, at least, to resolve... NOTHING of the game itself. I don't care about exploits. I care about trying to play and if i can't harvest anything and Bioware is more troubled about the exploits... we've a problem. How many players are affected by the exploits? And how many about the lots of bugs?
More work for the players please.
you sir have no idea how much these exploit affect everyone ingame. EVERYONE! The economy is so RUINED it will never be as intended anymore, at least if the numbers of money which was generated by these exploiters are true. they have to punish those people so it hurts and delete all the money which is in circulation from their exploiting.
ΞϿ Republic RancorsϾΞ
───── [PvE|PvP|18+] ─────
Index Portal Videos

burunduchok
01.06.2012 , 06:53 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowhand View Post
Now they fixed this exploit... what was it? im curious...
err... you're kidding, right?

jdgdcg
01.06.2012 , 07:16 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by burunduchok View Post
err... you're kidding, right?
I'm also interested...

So, it's more important than people win his/her money legally... like with the sliding ability, isn't it?
I don't care about economic exploits. So what? Thousands of players have billions of credits, and?
I'm more concern about the overpowered jedi and sith on PvP. Has any cry exploit baby played on PvP matches? There's eight of every ten players with Force powers. And if you're not one of them... you can't do anything on the match. The team with more Force users win everytime. Thats a BIG problem. And the system that matchs 12 level players with 50 level players... oh yes, your stats are up but... the 50 level has ALL his/her attacks and if you're alone you haven't any posibility. So, that's a problem that unbalance the game.

So, what, people has a lot of money, and? What can they buy? Ships? Updates? Gear?
The PvP gear can only be bought with points obtained in matches.
The game doesn't work economically since the beginning, and not because of the exploits. It's because in six years they haven't thought about it. How can be posible that you compare jedi and bountyhunter rewards? Jedi don't need money, BH make theirs live with it. But the two wins the same amount of credits, that's not realistic.
And, no, i've never used any exploit on my life and don't plan on use them in the near future.

There's a lot of problems more important in the game.

And nobody has ever demostrated why the slice ability was bad for the economy or why the exploits in THIS game are affecting the economy so bad. More examples and less cries please.

burunduchok
01.06.2012 , 07:23 AM | #10
Sorry, but I guess you're posting in the wrong topic.

This one is about potentially game-breaking exploit, and not about which class users tend to play more.