Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

Kagekatsu
01.05.2012 , 09:00 AM | #21
Very nice job! Quite useful. Free bump for STICKY.

Prophetic
01.05.2012 , 12:53 PM | #22
I could definitely go for a sticky on this!

I've got exactly 6 characters on each side specifically so I can have all of the crafts covered.

Since I'm having so many crafting alts, though, I'm kind of thinking of gaming the system a bit and having characters that are exceptionally good at gathering/mission skills do those exclusively, then feeding the finished bits to those that are exceptionally good at pure crafting.

Actually, I'm totally going to do that now. This guide is awesome!

Warlockco
01.05.2012 , 03:03 PM | #23
Bump for a wonderful post.

Deadrifler
01.05.2012 , 04:41 PM | #24
Bump it up.
Only through death can one escape the immutable fate of tyranny.

Dragoon-
01.05.2012 , 05:16 PM | #25
I thought this guide was stickied and panicked when I didn't find it.
Elara Dorne: I'll be ready with any number of regulation-approved punishments when the opportunity arises.
"Everyone fights, Private Ganbar. Either you go in shooting or we freeze you in carbonite and use you as a shield.."

HornedToad
01.05.2012 , 05:37 PM | #26
IMO, the only thing really worth looking at is the crit bonuses. Efficiency is just a time benefit but the crit bonuses can save/make alot of time/effort trying to critically craft/harvest resources.

TheRealBowser
01.05.2012 , 08:42 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
IMO, the only thing really worth looking at is the crit bonuses. Efficiency is just a time benefit but the crit bonuses can save/make alot of time/effort trying to critically craft/harvest resources.
I was thinking the same thing but I don't think it's that clear cut.

For instance, how fast you clear missions is very important -- it's how fast you gather the materials you need. For mako's slicing for instance, you would literally make more money from this than +2 crit.

Now that said, +5 crit is more than double +2 crit, as opposed to +15 vs +10 efficiency. So it's debatable. Maybe they'll buff efficiency to +25 in the future though, that would be cool.

As for crafting, you're probably right. Crit will be better than efficiency, especially if the only thing you are after is augmented gear. It's not like crafting faster is that big of a deal -- which is why I use the ship droid for reverse engineering a lot.

Except in the case of crafting item mods and consumables, which simply create extras. It's more efficient, but slower too, so it's debatable. My opinion here is that it's better to have crit for item mods, and better to have efficiency for biochem items since the former is expensive and made more sparingly, and the latter is cheap and made in bulk.

I'll include a list of all crafting skill crits here:

Artifice: None. (HK has +2 crit if he is ever added to the game)
Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5) Sith Warrior (+5)
Armstech: Smuggler (+5) Bounty Hunter (+1)
Armormech: Trooper (+5) Imperial Agent (+2)
Cybertech: None. (HK has +2 crit if he is ever added to the game)
Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5)

I may add this to the main post if people find this useful enough.

Volki
01.05.2012 , 10:08 PM | #28
Please sticky this.
Well, I try my best to be just like I am
But everybody wants you to be just like them
They say sing while you slave and I just get bored
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more. ~Bob Dylan

Kiryan
01.05.2012 , 11:08 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealBowser View Post
Slicing is not connected to any crafting skill. It is only used to make money, and to obtain augments.
Going by the Codex entry for Slicing, this statement is incorrect. It lists a benefit of giving schematics for Cybertech, as well as mission discoveries for all skills.

Recommended Crafting Skills: All (for mission discoveries), Cybertech (for tech schematics).

Not sure how rare those things are, but it is still something other than 'only used to make money'.

theadjectivenoun
01.05.2012 , 11:11 PM | #30
Will until Bioware actually makes crafting useful and not useless, it's a good guide but when you can PvP and use comm's to get better then what you crafted, crafting is useless.
"The Strange will walk alone"
"Who will be your pretty little enemy? When I am gone. Your world will prove empty, I promise you. you will always remember me"