Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need Slicing advice: I think I'm doing something wrong.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Need Slicing advice: I think I'm doing something wrong.

Maurdiib
01.05.2012 , 09:51 AM | #1
Hello everyone, good day. Before I state my problem, I'd like to simply point out now this is not written to provoke ill-will of any kind, nor to bring up any belligerent topics like "I hate BW i'm unsubbing, slicing sux". I believe I am doing something wrong or do not fully grasp the entire crew skill.

Alright then. Sometime yesterday I was doing flashpoints with some pick-me up group members, and one guy mentioned how he could have made 30 -or more- thousand credits throughout the duration of our attempt at the mission, if only he had remembered to keep his companions out slicing. We had only been in the flashpoint for about 100 minutes (we were all a bit under-leveled so it was taking us a while) so I thought this was strange. I asked him how he could possibly make that much through slicing given the time we had invested in the flashpoint. His answer was simple, but confusing at the same time: he said his companions returned lock-boxes that rolled between 4 and 5 thousand credits on average, and could even get higher on rare occasions. I was in complete disbelief, of course, and told him he was full of it and exaggerating. Personally, I've been at level 400 slicing since level 19 or 20 (I played too much and was on long-enough to keep it going, if anyone thinks that's unrealistic) and am now level 32. Since those 12 or so levels I've only been enjoying returns of 1000-2000 (the highest return yet is 2030 credits, not counting the discovery missions) on 2 companions every half hour, and now since I've reached level 30, another 700-1000 with my last companion doing the slicing missions leveled 41-49. I argued with him for quite a while about how he was blowing smoke up everyone's rears.

Eventually it came down to the fact I was "doing something wrong". After more discussion, it turned out the reason for my "unusually low" returns was because my companions affection ratings were too low, and to increase their affection for me would grant better returns. That sounded logical to me; the more they like me the better they work.

When I got back to the station I invested enough Hutt Data cubes (level 2 gifts at 600 a piece) to level my T7's affection from around 900 to roughly 5000. I've done NUMEROUS, probably a half-dozen, slicing missions with T7 since I leveled his affection so high, and I have not gotten a SINGLE increase in my returns. I still average less than 8000 credits per hour, as opposed to his supposed 20-30 thousand or more.

Was this guy totally jackwagoning around? Or am I doing something wrong?

A few estimations:

From my three companions (Kira at a bit over 1000 affection, T7 at 5000, and C2 at 0) I receive between 1000-2000 from the level 50 missions, and 700-1000 from the level 41-49 multiplied by thee every half hour. Ideally I could earn up to 5000 per half hour, or 10k each hour. However it is almost always close to between 5-8k .

According to this other player, he ideally, receives 4-5k per companion per half hour. Ideally for him, that's 15,000 every half hour and 30,000 on every hour, not taking into account any big returns from doing the discovery missions.

Any thoughts or advice would be great. I haven't blown any of my information out of proportion; no hyperbole here. Why am I, supposedly, getting so little from my returns, and this other person up to 4x more than me?

Edit: after some more watching of my returns and the shifts of credits. I'm spending between 1450 and 2000 credits per each mission, and only net-gaining at the maximum 400 credits per mission every half hour, that is, if I'm getting lucky. More times than I'd like I'm actually having net losses after doing these missions of 400 or even more credits per mission per half-hour.

Maurdiib
01.05.2012 , 10:06 AM | #2
For bumping reasons: I also only get at most 700 credits from the occasional electronic safe or data terminal I slice into while question on my current world.

JSitruc
01.05.2012 , 10:14 AM | #3
idk anything about slicing, but if your only making 400 every half hour... than your better off killing random mobs and selling those grey items. I can spend a half hour killing lvl 30-35's and make over 1k. Thats not including any gear you find along the way.

I have treasure hunting and I spend usually 1k every 10 mins and get back maybe 600 if im lucky. thats a loss of 400 every ten mins. Its hardly worth it and maybe 1 out of every 6 missions i get a green or blue item.

Maurdiib
01.05.2012 , 10:17 AM | #4
Thanks for taking the time to read, or at least skim over what I had to say. It's a shame to see you're suffering as well.

Anyway, have you noticed any gain in your returns with your crew skill as your companions' affection goes up? Or do you think giving them gifts is a waste?

JSitruc
01.05.2012 , 10:23 AM | #5
i thought that i heard somewhere that the more affection your comps have toward you, the less time and better results you will have on missions. However, Quinn has the most (4500) affection and yet.. his time to complete the missions is the exact same as the robot which has 0 affection.

I haven't taken note on the returns, but usually Vette gets me better stuff (Gear). I am sure that is because one of her specialties is treasure hunting.

Medianoche
01.05.2012 , 10:36 AM | #6
They guy was high. Probably coccaine.

In the pre-nerf I was getting a net profit of 10k/hour with 3 companions.
Yesterday I wasted 4 hours and get like .. 10k. Only doing RICH/ABUNDANT/BOUNTIFUL missiones with NO FAILS.

So no, you are not doing anything wrong. You are actually quite lucky on your numbers.

ZenBones
01.05.2012 , 10:40 AM | #7
Yep, after the nerf, slicing isn't what it used to be. I dropped it and went back to treasure hunting since it directly feeds into Artifice. I was only using Slicing for the extra cash while leveling, before they nerfed it. I knew it was coming, and was treating it as a temporary crew skill for that reason.

Generally you can still make a profit with it if you mostly aim for the Bountiful and Rich missions (though a few of the moderates have a really good profit:time ratio), but it's so little now that it may not be worth it to you if there are other skills that might be useful to you. But I'm sure you already know this.

From what I understand, the companion affection has a pretty minimal affect on success.
Jedi Consular Shadow - "Sounds dangerous. I'll take care of it."
May the farce be with you.

Maurdiib
01.05.2012 , 10:50 AM | #8
Thank you all for your impressively articulated, friendly responses.

I also forgot to mention that my 8k/hour are GROSS gains, not Net.

I've yet to actually estimate my NET gains per hour.

I guess what it all comes down to, slicing might have gotten nerfed too much? I don't want to start any muckraking though.