Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

!Big Concern!: Ranged vs. Melee DPS in FPs & Ops

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
!Big Concern!: Ranged vs. Melee DPS in FPs & Ops

LeSamourai's Avatar


LeSamourai
01.05.2012 , 09:22 AM | #21
I agree with you to some extent (melee gets put "in the fire" more often); however, ranged also has issues with having to move out of the fire, thus interrupting whatever they were casting (which is usually most of our big ticket items).

I think it's balanced fairly evenly (I play BH/Assassin/Trooper), but I can see how others might not think so.
meh, I just want to play SWTOR

SWImara's Avatar


SWImara
01.05.2012 , 09:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Perlexia View Post
I get your point, and it is true that we have no solid data yet, but: Every raid/group leader who has tried those encounters above with a melee DPS-heavy setup, knows what im talking about. The encounters are considerably harder, and I believe this shouldn't be the case. So from your post, I gather that you haven't tried the hard-mode FPs and Ops yet, maybe you should wait to see those in such a group.
On one hand, I can understand where you're coming from and no I haven't done the hard-mode FPs and Ops yet. I certainly intend to however. Playing melee is always harder, but seriously in SWTOR I find it much easier than in most games. I'd be all for some future raid/group content that is aimed to be extra challenging for ranged DPS, what I do not however want to see is Melee DPS buffed as some sort of reward for the challenging(ish) nature of Melee DPS play in raids. This is every bit as much of a problem as developers dramatically rehashing classes due to PvP conflicts. If the issue is FPs/Ops then I would hope that any solutions are focused on those areas of play.

The image of the crappy ranged DPS player who stands in the pool of (X/Y bad stuff in a raid encounter) is something all of us who have played basically any past MMO has engrained in our heads. This is an issue of playstyle and in more than one game I've played that stigma urged people not to invite "Huntards" (or the ranged DPS equivalent) on raid events. I really don't know that there's an issue unless people have actual problems downing bosses with Melee DPS groups.

Perlexia's Avatar


Perlexia
01.05.2012 , 09:23 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHirogen View Post
I thought we solved this argument in WoW general forums 7 years ago...
Stop with that point already, just because this issue might have existed in WoW also, doesnt mean its not an issue still, and should be addressed. Or should we just roll over?

Infact tho, I was a member in a rather successful raiding guild in WoW, and the truth is that skilled rogues and warriors were on par with ranged in terms of DPS, because yes, their DPS while on target was slightly higher, which evens out because they have to move around more and position themself. Additionally, again, warriors and rogues had more abilities (not just gap closers, but self-healing, evasion, etc. talents) to alleviate the effect of AE damage. So stop with it already.

FourTwent's Avatar


FourTwent
01.05.2012 , 09:29 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Mandrax View Post
Also, in terms of group make up for bosses and such, it's best to be able to have some flexibility in your raid groups.
I think you say this, just because it's the nice thing to say about a raid or a game. I've seen this issue in another MMO(and im sure it happens in dozens). Make casters too weak and they feel like buff bots. . .make them too strong and you have all caster raids/epics.

But having that ability to range everything needs to be taken into account.

I kinda agree with the more DPS part, but give us a debuff when in PvP(like they do with healing) to make things balanced.

Sykologist's Avatar


Sykologist
01.05.2012 , 09:32 AM | #25
Roll an Operative to 50, then come talk.

kidbs's Avatar


kidbs
01.05.2012 , 09:38 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by mangarrage View Post
Not really it is a troll who posts topics that can't be changed

You either have no ranged classes (which will never happen) or you nerf ranged classes completely (which again will never happen)

Every single game has this issue, EVERY game

At least this game has some gap closers and longer then melee range abilities for melee that other games do not
Some games (i.e. WoW and Rift) made significant changes to their encounters to make them more melee-friendly. So yeah, not every single game currently has this issue. It's a pretty big problem when melee players start being benched in favor of range especially in this day and age of MMOs.
*** The Shadowbane Legacy ***
Darth Nether - Vulknar Highway

VicSkimmr's Avatar


VicSkimmr
01.05.2012 , 09:38 AM | #27
Really though it's just a problem with MMO's in general. SWTOR does it a little better than some because most (most) melee dps have some ranged abilities too. That's partially why I like playing an operative so much. Stab it to death, then when it AOE's back up to range, go into cover and pew pew it till it stops.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Sicknss's Avatar


Sicknss
01.05.2012 , 09:39 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykologist View Post
Roll an Operative to 50, then come talk.
I didn't realize Operatives attracted an abnormally large number of affects that interrupted them from their duty...

Perlexia's Avatar


Perlexia
01.05.2012 , 09:45 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
Really though it's just a problem with MMO's in general. SWTOR does it a little better than some because most (most) melee dps have some ranged abilities too. That's partially why I like playing an operative so much. Stab it to death, then when it AOE's back up to range, go into cover and pew pew it till it stops.
You obviously haven't played Wow or SWTOR at all.

Nylyan's Avatar


Nylyan
01.05.2012 , 09:54 AM | #30
This problem has existed in almost every MMO that has ever been out, if not exactly all of them.
The issue has always been hard to solve, and that's why most people roll ranged classes. Melee classes always have and always will require more focus and effort than ranged classes, there's simply no way around it.