Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Obi-Wan .VS. Anakin

LordMerrick
01.04.2012 , 08:59 PM | #61
LordButcher I thought Windu's Vaapad was the most dangerous/aggresive form? Not being argumentative just curious

BrandonSM
01.04.2012 , 09:36 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMerrick View Post
LordButcher I thought Windu's Vaapad was the most dangerous/aggresive form? Not being argumentative just curious
Vapaad and Juyo are practically the same. Vapaad is quicker and more of a style of all fighting.

Edit: Also keep in mind there isn't any best form. They all have a different purpose, and their best at serving their purpose.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Tswarm
01.04.2012 , 09:42 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMerrick View Post
Vaapaad is actually a prototype lightsaber form that was being developed by Mace Windu and was actually based off of Juyo which is a Sith form. Of the fully established Jedi lightsaber forms Djem So/Shien is the most aggressive as its basis to overwhelm the opponent by countering their attacks with sheer strength i.e. knocking away the opponent's blade and quickly countering. All of the established forms have a kind of specialty of sorts.

Form I Shi-icho: Ease of use as it focuses on basic strikes and guards and doesn't go out of its way to be fancy.

Form II Makashi: Finesse based combat focusing on minimalist effort to execute parries, deflections, disarms, and striking at openings. It's good against Soresu because Soresu relys on tiring out the opponent/forcing them to overextend themselves which is the opposite of the Makashi philosophy.

Form III Soresu: A defensive form wherein users rely on technique, situational/environmental awareness and agility to tire the opponent out or force them to reveal a weakness to strike at. It's very good against brute force but not against finesse and usually requires the user to have some ground for strategic retreats.

Form IV Ataru: An acrobatic form that places emphasis on flashy moves to distract an opponent and attacking from odd angles such as with mid-air strikes to catch an opponent off guard. It's main flaw is that you need a fair bit of room to perform all of those mid-air/sweeping maneuvers but to someone like Yoda who is a master of this form that's easy to come by.

Form V Djem So/Shien: An aggressive style that focuses on reprisals. Users become masters of counterattacks both against saber strikes and blaster shots. The style's main weakness is that the user often has to fully commit themselves to offense leaving them with exploitable openings.

Form VI Niman: A balanced jack of all trades style whose focus is that it really has no focus. Against a user of a style with a focus Niman users often get overwhelmed when that area of expertise comes into play. Niman's strength is that it can a variety of situations and it's near impossible to really surprise the few masters of the style unless their opponent gets lucky/extermely creative.

javorizer
01.04.2012 , 09:42 PM | #64
I believe the fight ended in an incredibly lame way, which made little sense.

Also, claiming that Obi Wan won because he had taught Anakin and knew his moves goes both ways, seeing as how Anakin would also know Obi's moves.

Firstly, I think Lucas handled Obi Wan poorly, which is why the last fight made little sense, consdiering how easily Obi Wan was defeated by Dooku both times. This has nothing to do with lore, or anything, just Lucas not having his head straight on.

Secondly, I believe that Anakin's fall to the darkside caused upheaval in his emotions to a point where pure rage took over and thereby introducing a lack of discipline. Also, in his heart, Anakin knew that Obi Wan had nothing to do with his fall to the dark side, and if you ask me, showed regrets of his fall even then, realising he had done something wrong.

By attacking Obi Wan he was not trying to convince Obi that he was doing the right thing, but trying to convince himself. He didn't have his whole heart in it.

NOW! Obi on the other hand, was more experienced, and knew better how to control his emotions, even anger. He did this in episode 1 vs maul, and I believe that he was driven by emotion in the fight vs anakin as well.

Wolfninjajedi
01.04.2012 , 09:50 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by javorizer View Post

Firstly, I think Lucas handled Obi Wan poorly, which is why the last fight made little sense, consdiering how easily Obi Wan was defeated by Dooku both times. This has nothing to do with lore, or anything, just Lucas not having his head straight on.
l.
It actually does have everything to do with lore, Dooku's style completely dominates Obi-Wan's.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Girdeux
01.04.2012 , 10:40 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
It actually does have everything to do with lore, Dooku's style completely dominates Obi-Wan's.
I dont think the lightsaber styles even existed in the movies, just an EU product. It was either you were a better lightsaber duelist or werent, which was what i liked about it.

Not in the EU where one guy cant beat someone in particular because of the the lightsaber form/style they are using. A good example is Mace Windu with Vaapad where "apparently" most light-side duelists would beat him but he would completely decimate a sith due to his saber style.

But Lucas stated he is one of the most powerful jedi and able to beat Palpatine without ever bringing up Vaapad. Now that I think of it I dont think he has ever brought up any of the differnet lightsaber forms.

bliapis
01.05.2012 , 12:14 AM | #67
For those claiming that Anakin was a padawan when faced off Obi Wan. No he wasnt. Not in skill.

In EU taking place in the Clone Wars cartoons, Anakin along with Asoka took many solo missions that they completed successfully.

Anakin's battle skills where highly honed long before he faced off Obi Wan in Mustafar.

Why he lost then? Script.
i5 2500k OC @ 4Ghz | Thermaltek Hyper TX3 air cooler | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | Asus GTX580 CU | Asus Maximus IV GenZ/Gen3 | Thermatek 750W PSU -==- Server: Fredon Nad (EU)// Characters: [B]Vanguard L50: Clipjunkie// [B]Sentinel L50: Seithan// Juggernaur L50: Shaithis // Sorcerer L42: Rasthavas

AnarchyP
01.05.2012 , 12:24 AM | #68
I have a hard time wondering why people can't accept that Lady Luck simply smiled at Obi-Wan and gave him that splitsecond of a chance to beat Anakin.

Rhyltran
01.05.2012 , 02:19 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by AnarchyP View Post
I have a hard time wondering why people can't accept that Lady Luck simply smiled at Obi-Wan and gave him that splitsecond of a chance to beat Anakin.
There is no luck in star wars. There's the force.

Queytac
01.05.2012 , 06:10 AM | #70
haha. how i love those nerd discussions
(i really do,i read every post ;o )
i dont know as much of the Lore as some here do, but i do train with swords (wood ofc) myself and i can say that far lesser advantages then the high ground can cause you to take a beating. ( like your blade tip is +-5 cm too high or low)
plus i can say that it is really annoying to fight someone with incredible strong defense waiting for your moves/mistakes to counter you (only did those without weapons tbh)

and sometimes a weaker foe can win a fight (due to over/underestimation of the enemy, luck, better tactics, more experience, more insight to the style of the enemy,hesitation)