Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Really bad FPS with a high end PC.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Really bad FPS with a high end PC.

HiSaZuL
01.04.2012 , 02:11 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by BEViking View Post
Intel core i7 3930K (6 cores)
32 GB ram
Double GTX 580 cards in SLI
SSD harddrive
And a PSU powerful enough to make use of the stuff.

The max fps i get in game is 110 but it can drop down below 20 in cities.
In most fights i don't even have 40 FPS.
Running the newest drivers for the GFX, motherboard, hard drive controller etc.

1920x1080 and everything on max.
Doesn't matter if i play on 1280 x 1024 with everything on low, i still get fpsdrops.

Reinstalled the drivers, tried older versions of the gfx drivers.
Turned off SLI, put the game in fullscreen and windowed.
Doesn't really change stuff.

How can i make the game playable?
if your running evga 580s get evga precisions or msi afterburner and check gpu voltage. if its at around ~1013 mV you need to bump it up to at least 1070 or preferably 1100. love evga cards because they can be tortured with oc but factory voltage settings are terrible. dx11 tesselation enabled games would consistently crash my evga gtx 580s (3gig gddr5 versions) well not cards but nvidia drivers. untill i checked voltage. also had someone with evga 570s after he was asking in general if he can bump his fps a bit somehow i told him this and he reported getting a steady 5-10 fps gain with eery 10 mV voltage increase.
on side note considering this runs on last century hero engine id imagine 6 core cpu not only would work same as single core cpu but probably worse. could try reassigning swtor processes to a single core preferably first 0 one.
additionaly double check timing on ram trashy software gets iffy when with oced ram.

Alkiii
01.04.2012 , 02:17 PM | #22
How much RAM do you have on that system?

Remember too, if you're over 30 FPS all the time, the game will run smoothly. I know you have high end cards like me, but sometimes on the Fleet or in Huttball, my FPS will drop down to 50-60 FPS. The system isn't optimized and from what I hear, there is going to be a new driver from Nvidia on January 9th that is supposed to help.

I'm curious, is the color shown on your FPS (at the lower left of the screen) flashing between green and red? Or is it just staying green?

Green= GPU
Red = CPU

Having a system like yours, I would think that it would flicker back and forth. (Mine does and I have an i7 2700k SB CPU).
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep ... not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Kyuuu
01.04.2012 , 02:24 PM | #23
I tried Disable HT and it has no impact on any FPS in the game for me, and running it in XP SP3 mode just crashes the client for me

Axxar
01.04.2012 , 02:25 PM | #24
My FPS is usually at around 50-60 but in some areas it drops to about 20 for no apparent reason as far as I can tell. I'm running on a good rig that has no issues running Skyrim at maxed.
"Nerf the high ground."

SithAbsolution
01.04.2012 , 02:31 PM | #25
Check your GPU usage, my gtx 460 sli doesn't hit over 50% while playing SWTOR, and the lowest my fps has been is 20-25 in PVP/major cities. Still should be 45-60 always. I'll give it time for optimization, but isn't that what the BETA is for?
ii▀▀▀▀▀ii‾δ‾‾Pך[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

RageFury
01.04.2012 , 02:33 PM | #26
SWTOR is rather poorly optimized right now in terms of player models. I'm running a 3960X (yes, the $1,050 Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge E-Series processor) with 16GB of PC2133 RAM in quad channel and even with two 5870s in Crossfire, my FPS can hit 15-17 for a moment while riding my speeder around Imperial Fleet when it has 250+ people in it.

Basically, they really need to have the client lower the polygon counts on player models when a lot of people are around is what it seems like. At least make the "low" character graphics setting actually work/do something. It makes no difference for me whether it's set to low or high, and I have a very beastly rig.

Actually having the game client use my computer's resources effectively would be a large bump I'm guessing, too. FPS sitting in the 30s or 40s in the busier parts of Imperial Fleet with CPU use averaging 15-20% and GPU use 20-30%? My system is yawning, yet the client's performing horribly. I can start up BF3 and see 40% CPU use and 80%+ GPU use, why are there such big restrictions on the SWTOR client, BioWare?

I realize you want the game to be able to run on machines people paid $500 for six years ago, (which is annoying to those of us that aren't total cheapskates, but whatever, I get it) but there needs to be a "high performance mode" toggle or something. I *WANT* SWTOR to try and rip my machine apart. I use a 120hz 2D mode monitor, (a.k.a., a 3D monitor running in 2D mode @ 120hz) and I'm trying to push a triple-digit frame rate consistently. My rig can more than handle it, but the client is purposely bottlenecking it from what I can tell.
Something Dark Side

BEViking
01.04.2012 , 02:41 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by HiSaZuL View Post
if your running evga 580s get evga precisions or msi afterburner and check gpu voltage. if its at around ~1013 mV you need to bump it up to at least 1070 or preferably 1100. love evga cards because they can be tortured with oc but factory voltage settings are terrible. dx11 tesselation enabled games would consistently crash my evga gtx 580s (3gig gddr5 versions) well not cards but nvidia drivers. untill i checked voltage. also had someone with evga 570s after he was asking in general if he can bump his fps a bit somehow i told him this and he reported getting a steady 5-10 fps gain with eery 10 mV voltage increase.
on side note considering this runs on last century hero engine id imagine 6 core cpu not only would work same as single core cpu but probably worse. could try reassigning swtor processes to a single core preferably first 0 one.
additionaly double check timing on ram trashy software gets iffy when with oced ram.
1.025 original. Running on MSI cards, the 1.5GB versions.
Tried higher voltage, didn't change anything. But it was worth a try.
The ram im running is Corsair XMS3 specced for 2000 Mhz, but im running them in 1866 Mhz if im not mistaken. Tried running them at the original speed sycned with the CPU but didn't change anything either.

BEViking
01.04.2012 , 02:47 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Alkiii View Post
How much RAM do you have on that system?

Remember too, if you're over 30 FPS all the time, the game will run smoothly. I know you have high end cards like me, but sometimes on the Fleet or in Huttball, my FPS will drop down to 50-60 FPS. The system isn't optimized and from what I hear, there is going to be a new driver from Nvidia on January 9th that is supposed to help.

I'm curious, is the color shown on your FPS (at the lower left of the screen) flashing between green and red? Or is it just staying green?

Green= GPU
Red = CPU

Having a system like yours, I would think that it would flicker back and forth. (Mine does and I have an i7 2700k SB CPU).
It just stays green.
Sure, the game might appear to run smooth if you're above 30 fps. But when the FPS dips from 110 down to 20 or below you notice it alot. Even if i drop to 40 it's quite easy to tell the difference between running it at +100FPS and 40.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithAbsolution View Post
Check your GPU usage, my gtx 460 sli doesn't hit over 50% while playing SWTOR, and the lowest my fps has been is 20-25 in PVP/major cities. Still should be 45-60 always. I'll give it time for optimization, but isn't that what the BETA is for?
Rarely goes above 20% GPU usage.

Quote: Originally Posted by RageFury View Post
SWTOR is rather poorly optimized right now in terms of player models. I'm running a 3960X (yes, the $1,050 Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge E-Series processor) with 16GB of PC2133 RAM in quad channel and even with two 5870s in Crossfire, my FPS can hit 15-17 for a moment while riding my speeder around Imperial Fleet when it has 250+ people in it.

Basically, they really need to have the client lower the polygon counts on player models when a lot of people are around is what it seems like. At least make the "low" character graphics setting actually work/do something. It makes no difference for me whether it's set to low or high, and I have a very beastly rig.

Actually having the game client use my computer's resources effectively would be a large bump I'm guessing, too. FPS sitting in the 30s or 40s in the busier parts of Imperial Fleet with CPU use averaging 15-20% and GPU use 20-30%? My system is yawning, yet the client's performing horribly. I can start up BF3 and see 40% CPU use and 80%+ GPU use, why are there such big restrictions on the SWTOR client, BioWare?

I realize you want the game to be able to run on machines people paid $500 for six years ago, (which is annoying to those of us that aren't total cheapskates, but whatever, I get it) but there needs to be a "high performance mode" toggle or something. I *WANT* SWTOR to try and rip my machine apart. I use a 120hz 2D mode monitor, (a.k.a., a 3D monitor running in 2D mode @ 120hz) and I'm trying to push a triple-digit frame rate consistently. My rig can more than handle it, but the client is purposely bottlenecking it from what I can tell.

I see im not the only one with this problem. You shed some light on the situation, i thought it was something wrong with my settings or something.
It's a shame, really.

Guess we'll just have to wait until it gets fixed then.

Trippen
01.04.2012 , 02:52 PM | #29
I have the same problem running a more than adequate system. Frames will run around 70-80 consistently, but i go into town and it drops to 10-15 and my gpu is only at 5-10%. But i can go to a different planet and be right back up to 80 fps. I also after playing for a bit, start to get screen stutters, and lag while still running 70-80 fps. Pretty annoying and bugs out my eyes.

Running a Phenom II x4 955
XFX 6870 2gb Double D
16 gb ram
1.5 tb hdd
700 watt PS.

Should be more than adequate.
Odd part is It runs smoother on my ati 5770 than the 6870. figure that out

Kormack_Solir
01.04.2012 , 03:01 PM | #30
I had a similar issue with the Witcher 2 dropping the GPU utilisation on my 570's to < 10%. The fix at the time was to uninstall the nvidia 3d vision parts of the driver.

Will it help here? who knows? worth a shot tho?
We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of thunder. We danced among the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder.