Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Some easy fixes for Hard Flashpoints!

Harmony
01.04.2012 , 07:28 AM | #1
1. Loot.
While chest loots may be needed for some bosses, you may want to not tie them to the first incarnation of a mob, so if it's reset, it's death no longer unlocks the chest. Either have chest unlock on Flashpoint flags or reset the chest so it's in phase with the currently spawned boss.

2. Bosses
- Revan. Copy & Paste Force Lightning from the bonus boss in The False Emperor. It's nasty enough to warrant an interrupt without killing the target if you don't interrupt at the tells before he actually start channeling, even though Revan is just that much more simpler than that bonus mob. Also check that he only has one lightning skill, as he seems to sometimes recast it instantly after being interrupted (in particular if you've wiped, he TPW's in split seconds 2nd round and beyond).
- Malgus. Some AC's have two knockbacks, others have none. Some work differently out of no reason at all. With a DPS sorcerer, I could (as Juggernaut) knockback after he had done his aoe thing and it was all fine and dandy. When the same Sorcerer went as healer, I had to knockback first, otherwise his knockback wouldn't take. Allow stuns to setup a knockback, pull-to, or really any form of CC to avoid random frustration as most of these knockbacks are on heavy timers (except the AC's which it's already easy mode for, of course!)

3. Melee Hate
I understand it's easy to design things that are nasty for melee but has no bearing for ranged DPS, but I don't understand why. ;p
- Does every bloody trash mob in certain Flashpoints have to have knockbacks? Ranged DPS can without fear of retaliation drop aoe's or single target, but melee are just all over the place, making clearing tedious (compare Foundry clearing to False Emperor for instance, the first with 2 melee DPS is a cake-walk, the second latter is PITA). Knock-backs done properly - and occasionally - can be funny, but if you're gonna do it right, at least make it 35m range so everyone can share the joy! Having to stand on-top of the tank to not loose DPS time constantly is a tad boring
- The second boss in Battle of Ilum (forget his name) has a HUGE damage shield against - you guessed it - melee attacks. Why? Or is there a 0 to many there, intending it to be manageable 700 rather than 7000? He's totally killable with 2 melee DPS - don't get me wrong here - but is so much easier with a ranged DPS.
- The False Emperor HK-47. Why does he knock-back on charges, even if you're CC immune? Doesn't even have a buff that states he does. The fight doesn't even give any advantages to high mobility - it only really serves as a frustration for melee. If it's involving the ground nukes, they deal insufficient damage to really need to move out of - about the same as charging him does, without the knockback.

4. Itemization
The 5 main slots are decently fine. Energized vs Tionesed randomness is a bit sad though, as you get pretty much the same armor just doing dailies, but at least the Tionese has a setbonus!
- Bracer and Belt are really, really poor compared to orange slotted gear with armoring/mod from dailies. Sure, some more primary stat and endurance, but secondary stats are incredibly behind. Even Columni bracer is helplessly flailing behind orange kit.
- Implant/Earring are also miles away from crafted level 49 stuff brought up to purple level. Even the Rakata ones from 120 daily commendations are merely side grades, offering more survival for less oomph (Enrage due to lack of Oomph kills me more than than lack of health, to be honest!). It's great that crafted stuff is competitive, but perhaps itemization should revisit these. Getting highest ranked gear should be an upgrade to stuff we've been able to make since level 40, right?
- Also, could you just give the Taris orange set looks or something to the raid gear? Warrior armor looks like they have beer bottle implants, the bounty hunter like a moveable shower and let's not start on the Sorcerer. Spending 50 levels looking Star Warsly to end up with that mess of an armor that looks sprung straight from WoW makes for sad kittens. :/ Or at least have two sets, one that looks like Star Wars, and one that looks like silly-generic-end-game-armor-of-any-mmo-of-late?

All that said, thanks for Flashpoints which puts priority on DPS rather than having the tank/healer carry everyone through. Some fights are at first frustrating to get those extra inches of damage out, but all the more sense of accomplishment when you do. I much prefer the high-tempo fights that's mostly offered in the Flashpoints to the boring norm.

Rammi
01.04.2012 , 07:55 AM | #2
I agree with most of the post apart from the gear stuff.

Bracers, belts and implants you can get from crafters on the GTN. Its the one thing where you can get decent stuff from them and the gear you can get from dailies is more than sufficient. Throw the crafters a friggin bone. Is it really that hard to interact with another human for 3 out of 8 best in slot items, which they are not as raiding as always still gives the best gear.

FYI im not a crafter but beleive its essential for a good in game economy and game.
Rammi Athos: Conclave
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Guiken
01.04.2012 , 09:39 AM | #3
I agree with just about everything you said although I'd like to add that the really HUGE problems like Revan's lightning and the loot boxes bugging really need to be addressed ASAP. After all the work you have to do to complete some of these missions (Boarding Party hard for instance, final boss is a beast to take down) just to have the loot box bug is very frustrating.

Also Risk VS Reward when compared to PVP gear is pretty bad. 400k in repairs after about 12 hard mode flash points and an EV Raid got me 2 pieces of Gear. In the same time I get 2 pieces of PVP gear which is very close in stats to the raid gear and actually MAKE a TON of credits by doing warzones. At this point I PVP just to support my raiding habbits

Bosses need to drop quite a bit more credits/and or higher credit reward. Compared to 100k/hour doing Warzones with no repair cost the PVE content is quite punishing monetarily.

Lastly, Melee Hate... cant agree more. There are some fights where bosses just unnecessarily randomly AOE around them, Bulwark, 2nd boss on EV ETC. There are 3-4 of these fights that really hurt Melee, I can't even name a single fight that has the same detrimental effect on Ranged.

2nd EV boss is a great example though, your melee runs out when he pounces (thereby losing a large amount of DPS on the boss) or takes a HUGE hit, god forbid you have multiple melee DPS. This really pressures groups to favor ranged DPS and Ranged Tanks over Melee. The DPS output by a Sith assassin for instance, as compared to a bounty hunter is no where near close enough to warrant the continue need to disrupt the melee DPS, it only punishes those players and groups that use those classes without rewarding them for using the mechanic.

A better design idea would be to reward those classes for responding to the situation. For instance, Melee DPS has to run out and stop DPSing so they can hit some button or trigger some mechanic that drops a Debuff on the boss or gives them a DPS boost to makeup for the lost time or something similar, not just the "Oh hey time to stop playing and run around while ranged DPS keeps being useful" scenario that is so pervasive. This way players are rewarded for responding to the scripts correctly instead of just punished for failing to.

Canarith
01.04.2012 , 10:34 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Guiken View Post
I agree with just about everything you said although I'd like to add that the really HUGE problems like Revan's lightning and the loot boxes bugging really need to be addressed ASAP. After all the work you have to do to complete some of these missions (Boarding Party hard for instance, final boss is a beast to take down) just to have the loot box bug is very frustrating.

Also Risk VS Reward when compared to PVP gear is pretty bad. 400k in repairs after about 12 hard mode flash points and an EV Raid got me 2 pieces of Gear. In the same time I get 2 pieces of PVP gear which is very close in stats to the raid gear and actually MAKE a TON of credits by doing warzones. At this point I PVP just to support my raiding habbits

Bosses need to drop quite a bit more credits/and or higher credit reward. Compared to 100k/hour doing Warzones with no repair cost the PVE content is quite punishing monetarily.

Lastly, Melee Hate... cant agree more. There are some fights where bosses just unnecessarily randomly AOE around them, Bulwark, 2nd boss on EV ETC. There are 3-4 of these fights that really hurt Melee, I can't even name a single fight that has the same detrimental effect on Ranged.

2nd EV boss is a great example though, your melee runs out when he pounces (thereby losing a large amount of DPS on the boss) or takes a HUGE hit, god forbid you have multiple melee DPS. This really pressures groups to favor ranged DPS and Ranged Tanks over Melee. The DPS output by a Sith assassin for instance, as compared to a bounty hunter is no where near close enough to warrant the continue need to disrupt the melee DPS, it only punishes those players and groups that use those classes without rewarding them for using the mechanic.

A better design idea would be to reward those classes for responding to the situation. For instance, Melee DPS has to run out and stop DPSing so they can hit some button or trigger some mechanic that drops a Debuff on the boss or gives them a DPS boost to makeup for the lost time or something similar, not just the "Oh hey time to stop playing and run around while ranged DPS keeps being useful" scenario that is so pervasive. This way players are rewarded for responding to the scripts correctly instead of just punished for failing to.
100,000 credits an hour? Are you crazy. I have never seen that kind of reward doing PvP. Yes, you don't take durability loss, but it is two completely separate styles of play. Some people prefer playing PvP exclusively, some do not. Some like to have a middle grouind. It is just the way things are.

As for Malgus, this argument is getting silly. I have not seen any problem with this encounter yet. People really need to stop complaining about this fight. It is perfectly fine from my estimation.

Guiken
01.04.2012 , 10:44 AM | #5
Malgus... that fight is easy mode even on hard the complaint is requiring you to bring at least 2 knockbacks, making an assassin tank for instance more sought after than a jugg for that encounter etc etc. Basically anything that encourages certainly classes to be excluded or taken over others is perhaps not the best idea from a design stand point, it's simply not needed.

As for 100k/hour yeah 5~7 matches per hour each one giving around 5000 credits + big credit payouts for the weekly and dailies you can get 100k in an hour, although that is certainty on the high end of the payout the point still stands. People that prefer PVE over PVP should not be penalized monetarily as harshly when people obtaining the same level gear via PVP have literally nothing to lose and everything to gain. Risk Vs. Reward is key here.

Crucias
01.04.2012 , 01:47 PM | #6
I agree with the original post.

As a healer the last boss of Boarding Party is just pure hell. Jorland does that aoe explosive bolt move, hit's one melee DPS and all of the drop 4k HP. There is a distinct line between truly challenging and *** and this game has bounded across with flowers and a song.
Crucias: Sith Inquisitor
FYI: I can't remove the Stupidity debuff, so I'll just sacrifice you to the gods of the loot roll dice.