Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Directive 7 Normal - A happy player

Shadowclaimer's Avatar


Shadowclaimer
01.03.2012 , 01:20 AM | #1
Would just like to say this instance was some of the most fun I've had to date in this game. At first it was basic trash clearing but quickly evolved into some of the most epic boss fights I've had. I haven't fought bosses that seem to bring to the table mechanics I've only seen in raids in past MMOs, they were fun, they required massive coordination, and they were difficult as hell, but my God they were thrilling to defeat.

It reminded me of the old days when MMOs were difficult.

My reviews of bosses:

The Detector
Easy opening boss, was quick and simple (no real mechanics) however his loot was terrible. Really a dungeon boss should -NEVER- drop a green. I'd suggest giving him some mechanics or something and making him drop better loot.

The Assassins
A fun mechanic that took a second of scanning buffs to realize, they dropped the best loot item for our party the entire run. They hit really really hard though compared to the rest of the dungeon it seems. Was fun and simple.

The Assimilator
This fight actually bugged on us hilariously, the spawner kept spawning copies of our Combat Medic until there were like 60 of them (they wouldn't fire on us) we eventually ran out of the room but they followed en masse until they got stuck on a door frame. At this point we AOE'd them all down to keep from having to force a wipe.

The Bulwark
At first was the hardest fight in there, but the mechanics once figured out were pretty simple. The biggest issue was having someone interrupt his Smash and getting out of his Burst, he also has an absurdly high health pool, but regardless was a fun fight once we had it down pat. He really needs to show the whole center of the room ignite in something when he uses Burst and let the party know what's going on, its almost impossible without consulting guides to know where it hits.

The Assembler
This fight was easy, possibly too easy. However it only gave us a green (damn you). We LOS'd the turrets and fought the boss, wasn't sure if this was intended or what, but with a ranged tank (Vanguard ftw) it made it cake. He seemed to have a really really small health pool though.

The Replicator (Bonus)
This one was just plain fun, it went quick but was a blast regardless. For a bonus boss and all the work it took to get the bonus the loot really sucked however. Would be nice if he dropped a little more.

Mentor
Mentor was quite possibly the coolest boss fight I've ever seen outside of raids, even for being something so overwhelmingly complicated, everyone instantly picked up on what needed to be done. I caught our party members adapting rapidly to things (such as when our combat medic learned you could pull the claw away from a party member by running into it and making it target you instead) and we only had one real wipe on it (we got to the final stage and weren't expecting the instant green beam). Would be nice if he notified who he was focusing with the beam, or there was a way to redirect it (it seemed to hit me lower than the other people). Otherwise, quite possibly the most epic boss I've fought in a long long time in any MMO, well freaking done.

I thoroughly enjoyed the instance, I hope in the future when some bugs get resolved (Assimilator for instance) it'll get refined into an amazing feature for future players to enjoy.

TLDR:
-Greens as boss loot = bad
-Detector - Too easy, crap loot
-Assassins - Hit a little too hard, fun
-Assimilator - Buggy but a blast, very fun
-Bulwark - Needs animations, very difficult, very fun
-Assembler - Too easy, loot sucked
-Replicator - Fun and awesome, little easy, loot sucked
-Mentor - Very fun, very epic, wouldn't change a thing really (except maybe a beam focus notification)
Brigade Commander Bravak Stukov of the Republic Assault Corps
==============================
Join the RAC today and save the galaxy from Empire scum!

maspien's Avatar


maspien
01.03.2012 , 01:32 AM | #2
Just fyi that first "boss" is not a boss. Just a "Lt" You will come to learn most instances have a miniboss then a boss fight then a miniboss again, etc etc.

Shadowclaimer's Avatar


Shadowclaimer
01.03.2012 , 01:48 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by maspien View Post
Just fyi that first "boss" is not a boss. Just a "Lt" You will come to learn most instances have a miniboss then a boss fight then a miniboss again, etc etc.
I was confused by that, given he followed the naming scheme and we had gone through a lot of trash before ever arriving at anything boss-like. Kinda wish he was a boss though, could prove a lot more interesting.

But thanks for the fact.
Brigade Commander Bravak Stukov of the Republic Assault Corps
==============================
Join the RAC today and save the galaxy from Empire scum!

Shadowclaimer's Avatar


Shadowclaimer
01.03.2012 , 08:27 PM | #4
Ran it again tonight, was just as good as the first time. (Except still sucky loot..)
Brigade Commander Bravak Stukov of the Republic Assault Corps
==============================
Join the RAC today and save the galaxy from Empire scum!

Nylyan's Avatar


Nylyan
01.03.2012 , 08:59 PM | #5
Personally, I agree the fights are quite fun, but I can never be arsed to run the instance due to the packs upon packs of trash, it just seems to be an endless trash run, and that's what killed it for me.
But that's just my opinion.

Shadowclaimer's Avatar


Shadowclaimer
01.04.2012 , 05:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nylyan View Post
Personally, I agree the fights are quite fun, but I can never be arsed to run the instance due to the packs upon packs of trash, it just seems to be an endless trash run, and that's what killed it for me.
But that's just my opinion.
I do agree there is a ton of trash in the instance, as I said I think if the loot is improved and the first boss made into a real boss, it'd improve the experience drastically.
Brigade Commander Bravak Stukov of the Republic Assault Corps
==============================
Join the RAC today and save the galaxy from Empire scum!

LordMardur's Avatar


LordMardur
01.06.2012 , 05:55 AM | #7
Was running the instance yesterday (after searching for a group for one week) and it was really fun. Some boss mechanics reminded me of other MMOs (rotating shield buffs, duplication on death), but that is not a bad thing. I am looking forward to the next flashpoints, while being really frightened by the idea of fighting Mentor on hardmode.

Only a few things were annoying.
When we killed 2 assassins, the third ("beta") got a 100% damage absorbing shield, making him fully immune to anything (although the buff says "reduced" damage, not "immune"). The shield was reapplied every 30 seconds with a 1 second gap to hit him with one single instant spell before he went invulnerable again. I don't see any way to purge the buff or interrupt it (no cast bar). It took us 10 minutes to get him from 50% health to 0. I understand that the better way to kill these 3 is to bring them down to low health and kill them at the same time (like boarding party), but a full immunity shield in 29 of 30 seconds cannot be the intended mechanic of this boss.

Bulwark is not moving and casting slowly. When some party members die, the others can easily run out of the room. But the boss does not reset, no matter how far you run away (we did not try leaving the instance). When you get back in he immediately starts one-shotting everyone.

I don't know what to think about the green loot. There are lots of mini bosses, but I have seen better stuff dropping from trash. There is no reason for a lvl 49 instance to drop a single green lvl 47 item after figthing trash for 40 minutes. The only lvl 50 epic (lvl 52 mods) item drops from the last boss. We got an item with cunning-stats, with no IA in the party. In lower level flashpoints the loot is always usable by the group members (e.g. a run with 3 sorcs and an assassin will only drop willpower). Why does that change later on? I am not running end game group content to outfit my companions.

Shadowclaimer's Avatar


Shadowclaimer
01.10.2012 , 06:28 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMardur View Post
Was running the instance yesterday (after searching for a group for one week) and it was really fun. Some boss mechanics reminded me of other MMOs (rotating shield buffs, duplication on death), but that is not a bad thing. I am looking forward to the next flashpoints, while being really frightened by the idea of fighting Mentor on hardmode.

Only a few things were annoying.
When we killed 2 assassins, the third ("beta") got a 100% damage absorbing shield, making him fully immune to anything (although the buff says "reduced" damage, not "immune"). The shield was reapplied every 30 seconds with a 1 second gap to hit him with one single instant spell before he went invulnerable again. I don't see any way to purge the buff or interrupt it (no cast bar). It took us 10 minutes to get him from 50% health to 0. I understand that the better way to kill these 3 is to bring them down to low health and kill them at the same time (like boarding party), but a full immunity shield in 29 of 30 seconds cannot be the intended mechanic of this boss.

Bulwark is not moving and casting slowly. When some party members die, the others can easily run out of the room. But the boss does not reset, no matter how far you run away (we did not try leaving the instance). When you get back in he immediately starts one-shotting everyone.

I don't know what to think about the green loot. There are lots of mini bosses, but I have seen better stuff dropping from trash. There is no reason for a lvl 49 instance to drop a single green lvl 47 item after figthing trash for 40 minutes. The only lvl 50 epic (lvl 52 mods) item drops from the last boss. We got an item with cunning-stats, with no IA in the party. In lower level flashpoints the loot is always usable by the group members (e.g. a run with 3 sorcs and an assassin will only drop willpower). Why does that change later on? I am not running end game group content to outfit my companions.
The Assassins are bugged in that regard, when we killed the first two the third one never had a shield flash orange or blue, and we just dropped him, although he enraged and became a hard hitting jerk.

Bulwark not resetting was quite upsetting, we hit that issue too.
Brigade Commander Bravak Stukov of the Republic Assault Corps
==============================
Join the RAC today and save the galaxy from Empire scum!