Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Skype vs Vent

-MunkeyNutz-
12.13.2011 , 09:11 PM | #1
..while im not new to mmo's..im however new to voice chat..so i would like to hear the general consensus on which to go with..

GarikKatarn
12.13.2011 , 09:15 PM | #2
Not sure on skype's memory usage but I would be willing to bet that it's higher then vents...
But all around, vent is my preference. It was standard in all the games I've played.

PitchShifta
12.13.2011 , 09:16 PM | #3
Skype is alot more mem heavy than vent.

Ardah
12.13.2011 , 09:17 PM | #4
Skype is ok when questing with friends. You set up a conferance call and you all talk together.

Vent is prefered by guilds due to the fact that you can set up different channels and easily switch between them. The entire guild can be loged into vent, easily accessible by everyone, but spread over different channels... (you dont really need to listen into the raid channel, if you are doing a flashpoint with other guild mates)

So I would use vent, but skype is ok if you only quest with your friends.

-MunkeyNutz-
12.13.2011 , 09:19 PM | #5
..and i hear its free, correct?..

Timotheh
12.13.2011 , 09:19 PM | #6
Used Mumble once, great quality and it auto adjusted volumes, but setting up is not for the uninitiated. Vent remains the standard, but constantly adjusting individual volumes blows.

Maxican
12.13.2011 , 09:19 PM | #7
In my experience I would say Skype<Ventrillo<Mumble. Not to say Vent isn't wonderful it's a great app however I'm a huge fan of mumble now that I've had a chance to try it out, sound quality is way better and it doesn't seem to be a memory hog in the least bit.

Ecii
12.13.2011 , 09:21 PM | #8
Teamspeak

Kurtisgreat
12.13.2011 , 09:22 PM | #9
vent is the most wide-spread

i consider mumble and vent on the same level, always seems to be preference with people, personally I like vent.

Thurgrayden
12.13.2011 , 09:23 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by -MunkeyNutz- View Post
..and i hear its free, correct?..
Vent is free if you use your own system as the server. Some guilds rent server space for better capacity/ease of use.
I don't mean to insult your stupidity. Really, it's quite magnificent and worthy of praise.