Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fix Darth Malgus knockback mechanic

Auilt
01.02.2012 , 02:37 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Khayleth View Post
This couldn't be more true.
Actually it couldn't be more false. You expect to be able to do any content with any composition you feel like doing it as long as you have H/T/D/D? That is horrible and severely limiting to encounter design. The encounter is fine. Plan accordingly.

Canarith
01.02.2012 , 02:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Gvaz View Post
Yes, you both have a force stomp that would make it easy. My comp did not.

Composition for a flashpoint should not matters as long as you have H/T/D/D

Also, I meant the person tanking was a vanguard, not commando.
Who's fault is it that you did not have the right composition. You knew beforehand what it took to kill him, yet you brought a composition that couldn't accomplish it. Then you come to the forums and complain that you brought a group composition that you knew could not accxomplish the fight. Whose fault is that, the devs.....or more likely yours for not having a proper group composition. Part of making a successful group is understanding the mechanics of the flashpoint you want to do and bringing the right composition based on that. This fight does not need to be changed. I love the way it is designed.

Canarith
01.02.2012 , 03:05 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Gvaz View Post
No.

Bring the player not the class, to use a WoW phrase. As long as you aren't running all dps, everyone should be able to tackle a boss in a non-infuriating way.

No, the only thing you can do while he's casting is interrupt via a knockback. THEN a short time after one person does a knockback (you only have one per person) another person has to do a knockback and THAT knockback actually works.

Also you will have to kite him over to the walkway beforehand, as he will literally stand in one place even if you're across the fusk!ng room, so if you didn't do that, or have a person with a pull or stagger knockbacks, he is immovable and invulnerable.
Or imagine this monumental concept, you actually line of sight his lightning to get him to move. Stop whining that you brought the wrong composition to do a fight. That is nobody's fault except your own.

I have personally enjoyed the interesting encounters in this game. Please don't dumb them down the way WoW has dumbed down instances. This game has flashpoints with boss encounters you don't normally see outside of operations. Take the mentor encounter in Directive 7. Now people come upon a fight that isn't just omgroflrollover and complain that they can't do it with every single group composition imaginable.

raelimar
01.02.2012 , 03:06 PM | #24
I love that some people assume everybody just PUGs these things and can simply grab an Inquisitor. I have three friends that I run with all the time (Powertech, Marauder, Assassin, and myself - Operative) and we're not interested in splitting up. We got him down last night, but it was a headache. Just because Sages and Sorcerers are flavor of the month doesn't mean BioWare should be designing encounters around them.

elacourse
01.02.2012 , 03:31 PM | #25
ok, here is a little info for all you people complaining about this already, and saying ANY H/T/D/D combo should be able to do this.....GET IT OUT of your mind now that this game should be so cookie cutter, if you want all things to be fair and square and combo works, go back to wow. We do not want your cookie cutter and addons and all that other trash here.

USE your heads and figure it out, if you are the group leader and you put a group together thats determined to fail, it's your fault, not BW's. There is a long walkway with a nice visable line on it before the steps, you know, the one you want to knock him off of...well here's you hint, tank him on the line, have all standing on the line, IN LINE, so that when one gets knocked back, you go to the stairs or back the oposite direction, not off the edge. If you do this, omg wait, HE IS ALREADY WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE when you need to knock him off. you just have to execute two boots and you win. If that is too difficult for you to execute, go back to pokemon or wherever you came from.

Farabee
01.02.2012 , 03:46 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by raelimar View Post
I love that some people assume everybody just PUGs these things and can simply grab an Inquisitor. I have three friends that I run with all the time (Powertech, Marauder, Assassin, and myself - Operative) and we're not interested in splitting up. We got him down last night, but it was a headache. Just because Sages and Sorcerers are flavor of the month doesn't mean BioWare should be designing encounters around them.
Then you have a comp that can kill the fight.

Either use Grappling Hook when he starts the lightning channel, and then have your Assassin use Overcharge (or w/e it's called) or just have the assassin use Spike and then Overcharge. Either works.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -Imperium proverb

Iwipe
01.02.2012 , 03:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
It's still a non issue. As others have pointed out even non-knockback abilities like Grappling Hook and Force Pull will remove the knockback-immunity, at which point you just use a legit knockback and you're done.

It's really the easiest HM fight there is, no enrage timer means you can beat him in greens. Just use your brain when putting the group together. If you want to argue class comp, how about bringing a Juggernaut tank to Revan with no stackable force-reduction cooldowns to eat the instagib Force Lightning.
There is an enrage on HM Malgus.

raelimar
01.02.2012 , 05:02 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
Then you have a comp that can kill the fight.

Either use Grappling Hook when he starts the lightning channel, and then have your Assassin use Overcharge (or w/e it's called) or just have the assassin use Spike and then Overcharge. Either works.
That's what we ended up doing, but it's still an unnecessary barrier. In my case, we had a workable composition, but not everybody will. What if we'd brought a Concealment Operative instead of an Assassin? My point is that some people have a set group that they roll with, and people with a T/H/D/D composition should stand a fair chance of downing any 4-man boss they come across regardless of class.

It just sets a bad precedent. What if there's a boss that requires a healing debuff to beat? Would every group be required to bring a Marauder/Sentinel? Bring the player, not the class is a solid model that lets people play what they want. I'm not asking for crazy no-healer or no-tank setups to be viable, I'm not asking for double tank/double healer groups, I just think every traditional group composition should work.

elacourse
01.02.2012 , 05:17 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by raelimar View Post
That's what we ended up doing, but it's still an unnecessary barrier. In my case, we had a workable composition, but not everybody will. What if we'd brought a Concealment Operative instead of an Assassin? My point is that some people have a set group that they roll with, and people with a T/H/D/D composition should stand a fair chance of downing any 4-man boss they come across regardless of class.

It just sets a bad precedent. What if there's a boss that requires a healing debuff to beat? Would every group be required to bring a Marauder/Sentinel? Bring the player, not the class is a solid model that lets people play what they want. I'm not asking for crazy no-healer or no-tank setups to be viable, I'm not asking for double tank/double healer groups, I just think every traditional group composition should work.
I am calling BS on ANY T/H/D/D combo remark.....this is not wow, get over it. Not every comp is going to work for every boss. If you have a friend that can't either cut it or causes you to fail a fight, replace them, suck it up, and drive on. BW does not need to dumb the game down to appease people that can't plan ahead. BW does not need to cater to people to make the game balanced around T/H/D/D.

Bad precedent would be dumbing the game down. If someone can't get a mission because they lack an ability, then they need to take it on their own to form their own group, with others that can cover said ability and win the fight. BW doesn't need to change the game because Joe, Bob, Tim, and Earl decided these were the only classes they wanted to play when they first started and they now see they came up short on certain abilities for a certain fight.

raelimar
01.02.2012 , 05:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by elacourse View Post
I am calling BS on ANY T/H/D/D combo remark.....this is not wow, get over it. Not every comp is going to work for every boss. If you have a friend that can't either cut it or causes you to fail a fight, replace them, suck it up, and drive on. BW does not need to dumb the game down to appease people that can't plan ahead. BW does not need to cater to people to make the game balanced around T/H/D/D.

Bad precedent would be dumbing the game down. If someone can't get a mission because they lack an ability, then they need to take it on their own to form their own group, with others that can cover said ability and win the fight. BW doesn't need to change the game because Joe, Bob, Tim, and Earl decided these were the only classes they wanted to play when they first started and they now see they came up short on certain abilities for a certain fight.
Requiring certain classes doesn't make the game any harder or easier. Not sure what you're trying to argue here. This is a matter of preference, not difficulty. This is about BioWare presenting the illusion of choice, when in reality, certain comps aren't viable. What you're talking about actually DISCOURAGES premade groups, and encourages players to pick up some random scrub spamming LFG just because he has X ability.