Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lucas and star wars

Rhyltran
01.02.2012 , 12:55 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by bfishback View Post
The reason I hate lucas is not because of the prequels or anything like that. It's the total disrespect his has for what his series has become and the fans.

Like that one quote saying that anything that happened after ROTJ didn't happen, or that it happened it a different reality. That's just completely retarded, he can't accept that people have built upon his story and made it better. It's a spit in the face of everyone who likes the post-ROTJ stories.

Now with the rise of the old republic fans, I'm sure he'll end up saying "lol that stuff back there didn't really happen eitehr guis".
That quote is taken out of context. George doesn't really believe they're different realities. In fact, in the prequels and even the clone wars cartoons, he's taken planet names, species, and even customs and inserted them into his work. He's also pitched ideas for the EU, told the writers what they can and can't do and even told osme to re-do everything they've written before he'd allow it to be published. There's two quotes that are taken out of context.

The first one is him commenting on why there's to be no movies after ROTJ. This is because the story was about Anakin's rise, fall, and redemption. It doesn't even fully have to do with Luke. His story ends after Return of the Jedi. Yes the events later are Canon but they aren't his story and they're not the story he's interested in putting on the big screen. His story was about Anakin.

The second quote what he was talking about is that there's three "universes." these aren't mean to be taken literally. He doesn't mean there's three alternate realities. What he was aying is that when it comes to knowledge he knows very little outside the movies. His "universe" is the movies. That's what he knows the best. That's what he can talk about. Then there's the merchandise and the games as well as the books/comics. This is what his company handles.

He's clarified that he doesn't literally mean the EU doesn't exist. Leland Chee has even stated as such. Lucas has also gone on to say on record that he gave Anakin a scar but he didn't have any idea how it got there. That's up for the writers to figure out. Then he jokes that he believes it came from him falling in the bath tub. Pretty much he's admitting he doesn't control his work 100% nor does he come up with all the ideas.

Now. I'm not defending the man. I do have respect for him for coming up with the IDEA of Star Wars but honestly I think many writers in the EU are better than Lucas and I do believe the directing of the prequels should have been left to someone better. I do enjoy them still but they could have been far superior. They are not Empire Strikes Back material.

lordsmeagol
01.02.2012 , 11:34 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
That quote is taken out of context. George doesn't really believe they're different realities. In fact, in the prequels and even the clone wars cartoons, he's taken planet names, species, and even customs and inserted them into his work. He's also pitched ideas for the EU, told the writers what they can and can't do and even told osme to re-do everything they've written before he'd allow it to be published. There's two quotes that are taken out of context.

The first one is him commenting on why there's to be no movies after ROTJ. This is because the story was about Anakin's rise, fall, and redemption. It doesn't even fully have to do with Luke. His story ends after Return of the Jedi. Yes the events later are Canon but they aren't his story and they're not the story he's interested in putting on the big screen. His story was about Anakin.

The second quote what he was talking about is that there's three "universes." these aren't mean to be taken literally. He doesn't mean there's three alternate realities. What he was aying is that when it comes to knowledge he knows very little outside the movies. His "universe" is the movies. That's what he knows the best. That's what he can talk about. Then there's the merchandise and the games as well as the books/comics. This is what his company handles.

He's clarified that he doesn't literally mean the EU doesn't exist. Leland Chee has even stated as such. Lucas has also gone on to say on record that he gave Anakin a scar but he didn't have any idea how it got there. That's up for the writers to figure out. Then he jokes that he believes it came from him falling in the bath tub. Pretty much he's admitting he doesn't control his work 100% nor does he come up with all the ideas.

Now. I'm not defending the man. I do have respect for him for coming up with the IDEA of Star Wars but honestly I think many writers in the EU are better than Lucas and I do believe the directing of the prequels should have been left to someone better. I do enjoy them still but they could have been far superior. They are not Empire Strikes Back material.
thank you! fliping honesty and not filled with half truths of what people hear and run with

dinanbmw
01.02.2012 , 02:03 PM | #13
How anyone gets so worked up over a movie and a 'universe' is beyond me. I LOVE Star Wars. I pre-ordered the new Blu-Ray pack... why? I love Star Wars. Get over it. It has been updated a few times. CGI was added. Etc.

Oh no you don't like young Anakin Skywalker... ***** about it on the internet. That will show Mr. Lucas! lulz

News Flash... he doesn't care about you. And much like you if you made a billion dollars plus you would... try to make more money. No wait! I am sure you would do it for free and for the fans... cause you are a true enthusiast. lulz

BrandonSM
01.02.2012 , 04:04 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikalonius View Post
Sorry, that quote about everything after ROTJ not happening was in 2008.
Are you sure?

He said it in 1998 MTV Interview.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."