Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fix Darth Malgus knockback mechanic

rehnisjr
01.02.2012 , 06:44 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by darkonnis View Post
not even a problem worth mentioning and no, it shouldnt be a simple case of H/T/D/D. You know the mechanic, so take a group which will allow you to beat it. if you didn't and its your first run through, i feel for you but unlucky, if you knew and went anyway, well failure rewards stupidity.
I like it, its a fitting end considering Malgus is epic and i have no doubt we'll see him again. especially if revan keeps making an appearance, oh and HK47 which i am severely bored of now.
Since the rest of the instance, and the malgus fight prior to the knockback is a simple case of H/T/D/D, I do think that actually finishing him of should be doable with any group combination. He can still be thrown down, but it should be doable by all classes. If you are after harder fights or something I would not mind the rest of the fight beeing alot harder, because it is a joke as it is now.

Iwipe
01.02.2012 , 06:45 AM | #12
Around 15%, you need to drag him to the ledge and position him carefully so in case if Malgus does a knockback, you don't get knock off the ledge.

Around 10%, Malgus channels chain lighting, you can only do the knockback when he is channeling as he is only susceptible to knockback when he is channeling.

Here is a video of our fight on Malgus in hardmode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMpa...9KU8qqR6A6LI6c

kaesebreze
01.02.2012 , 09:08 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Iwipe View Post
Around 10%, Malgus channels chain lighting, you can only do the knockback when he is channeling as he is only susceptible to knockback when he is channeling.
It's not about how you do it, but about that you can't do it with "some" setups.

Vanguards/Powertech, Sentinels/Marauder, Operative/Scoundrel, Gunslinger/Sniper do not have knockbacks. That are half of all classes.

That's stupid.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."...

Farabee
01.02.2012 , 09:19 AM | #14
You only need one knockback, even in hardmode.

At around 12% your tank needs to drag him near the edge. He begins channeling his lightning at 10% on the dot. Simply knock him off at this point, not before, not after, and you win.

He's the easiest boss in that instance on hardmode by far. Easier even than the trash.

As for some class comps not having a knockback: about half of the players in this game are consulars/inquisitors. My server is literally infested with them, and they ALL have a base ability knockback. Just grab one of the 800 or so spamming LFG and deal with it.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -Imperium proverb

Kugruk
01.02.2012 , 10:10 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by clintcasey View Post
There is a simple solution to this mechanic. When Malgus has about 10% health left have the tank walk down the steps the middle of the catwalk walkways near the ledges. Then, you kill Malgus with all your dps and healers situated behind Malgus. And then when Malgus starts his phase, you have 1 person with a knockback stand beside Malgus and use it.

It only takes 1 knockback to kill Malgus if he's standing near a ledge to begin with. Its really not a big deal. You just have to adapt your tactics to match the resources you have available to you, and not the resources you wish you had available to you.
Couldn't be more wrong.

Huntsig
01.02.2012 , 10:41 AM | #16
FYI, closing abilities like Force Pull and Grapple/Harpoon count as a knockback. And guess what, all tanks have an ability like that. So have one knockback DPS run down to the ledge with the tank, have the tank grapple Malgus to the edge, then punt him off. It's not a difficult mechanic, and it's doable with any given composition of flashpoint, it just requires some coordination rather than "immah spam knockbacks and see what happens."

Gvaz
01.02.2012 , 01:14 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by darkonnis View Post
not even a problem worth mentioning and no, it shouldnt be a simple case of H/T/D/D. You know the mechanic, so take a group which will allow you to beat it. if you didn't and its your first run through, i feel for you but unlucky
No.

Bring the player not the class, to use a WoW phrase. As long as you aren't running all dps, everyone should be able to tackle a boss in a non-infuriating way.

Quote: Originally Posted by clintcasey View Post
There is a simple solution to this mechanic. When Malgus has about 10% health left have the tank walk down the steps the middle of the catwalk walkways near the ledges. Then, you kill Malgus with all your dps and healers situated behind Malgus. And then when Malgus starts his phase, you have 1 person with a knockback stand beside Malgus and use it.

It only takes 1 knockback to kill Malgus if he's standing near a ledge to begin with. Its really not a big deal. You just have to adapt your tactics to match the resources you have available to you, and not the resources you wish you had available to you.
No, the only thing you can do while he's casting is interrupt via a knockback. THEN a short time after one person does a knockback (you only have one per person) another person has to do a knockback and THAT knockback actually works.

Also you will have to kite him over to the walkway beforehand, as he will literally stand in one place even if you're across the fusk!ng room, so if you didn't do that, or have a person with a pull or stagger knockbacks, he is immovable and invulnerable.

Gvaz
01.02.2012 , 01:16 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
You only need one knockback, even in hardmode.

At around 12% your tank needs to drag him near the edge. He begins channeling his lightning at 10% on the dot. Simply knock him off at this point, not before, not after, and you win.

He's the easiest boss in that instance on hardmode by far. Easier even than the trash.

As for some class comps not having a knockback: about half of the players in this game are consulars/inquisitors. My server is literally infested with them, and they ALL have a base ability knockback. Just grab one of the 800 or so spamming LFG and deal with it.
"Half the classes in the game are one class, deal with it"

Nice misdirection to the issue at hand.

Farabee
01.02.2012 , 02:04 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Gvaz View Post
"Half the classes in the game are one class, deal with it"

Nice misdirection to the issue at hand.
It's still a non issue. As others have pointed out even non-knockback abilities like Grappling Hook and Force Pull will remove the knockback-immunity, at which point you just use a legit knockback and you're done.

It's really the easiest HM fight there is, no enrage timer means you can beat him in greens. Just use your brain when putting the group together. If you want to argue class comp, how about bringing a Juggernaut tank to Revan with no stackable force-reduction cooldowns to eat the instagib Force Lightning.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -Imperium proverb

Khayleth
01.02.2012 , 02:08 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Gvaz View Post
Composition for a flashpoint should not matters as long as you have H/T/D/D
This couldn't be more true.
Raid progression no one cares about. Unimpressive quote or one liner. Uninteresting guild name. List of characters with their level and class symbol.