Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Grammarye
01.02.2012 , 10:00 AM | #891
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadow-Republic View Post
Load of rubbish they cant ban people through playing the game by the rules also ive heard nothing before you posted this to confirm otherwise. Gold sellinh or exploiting fair enough. But if this was to be true Bioware would lose lots of credibility and also find a few companies interested in taking this further down the law front as this would be breaking the customer/business relations and contract.
Read the email linked. The allegation is that the character participated in an exploit; that probably is justifiably bannable (especially if the exploit is obviously so). The mere act of popping over isn't. Also it was a temporary ban, apparently.
Quote:
Specifically, this character participated in looting high level Loot Containers on Illum while being well below the recommended level for the planet. By utilizing these Loot Containers, the account was able to acquire, distribute, or obtain currency, gear and equipment not meant to be acquired by low level characters (below level 40).Illum is intended for Level 50 characters and this is clearly communicated in game. By ignoring these warnings, the account showed intent to exploit the game.
That said, I am surprised they even made this possible in the first place.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

NyrathFTW
01.02.2012 , 10:05 AM | #892
Terms of Service tells nothing about those kinds of "exploits". Moreover, travelling to Illum isnt exploit. EA/BioWare is doing really unethical things to Origin users and SW:TOR players. Big thanks to OP, I wanted to travel to Illum today with my 38.
"I used to tell arrow to a knee jokes like you, but then I got a Death From Above to the knee"

heffroncm
01.02.2012 , 10:59 AM | #893
Having seen the letter from support, yeah, there's no foul play here. People should also be aware that by the wording of the letter, a 'ban' is not the same as permanent account closure.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Leggomy
01.02.2012 , 11:16 AM | #894
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadow-Republic View Post
Load of rubbish they cant ban people through playing the game by the rules also ive heard nothing before you posted this to confirm otherwise. Gold sellinh or exploiting fair enough. But if this was to be true Bioware would lose lots of credibility and also find a few companies interested in taking this further down the law front as this would be breaking the customer/business relations and contract.
What contract? The only contract is the ToS and it states either party (you or Bioware) can end the relationship at any time for any (or no) reason. You have a right to cancel for whatever reason you wish. They have a right to terminate your account for whatever reason they want too.

irishninja
01.02.2012 , 11:24 AM | #895
I'm assuming it was somehow related to this: http://swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=663

Apparently the moderators, admins, and editors over at Darth Hater were bringing their lower level (13 or so) alts into Ilum, then allowing the 13s to cap the points, just so the Darth Hater guys could recap and get points.

Apparently this exploit has spread to more than their crew, and I think this is Bioware's way of combating that.

Leggomy
01.02.2012 , 11:29 AM | #896
Quote: Originally Posted by irishninja View Post
I'm assuming it was somehow related to this: http://swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=663

Apparently the moderators, admins, and editors over at Darth Hater were bringing their lower level (13 or so) alts into Ilum, then allowing the 13s to cap the points, just so the Darth Hater guys could recap and get points.

Apparently this exploit has spread to more than their crew, and I think this is Bioware's way of combating that.
It doesnt have to be complicated. They dont want lowbies on ilum looting containers (not slicing) and getting gear they normally would have no access to. Until its fixed they are warning or banning people depending prob on if you were warned already.

Innocentone
01.02.2012 , 11:50 AM | #897
Seeing this going on and on without any response from the devs. Kinda confirms this might actually be true. Personally, I think it's stupid . It's just like with other games that punish the players over the developers mistakes because they don't want to take responsibility for there own actions.

grimgryphon
01.02.2012 , 12:05 PM | #898
Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrolight View Post
Avoiding the issue we are, yes.
No, I think he's trying to avoid calling you illiterate.

StephenReid
01.02.2012 , 12:09 PM | #899
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackk View Post
Players are being banned from the game for going to Ilum.
Apologies for the delay in replying to this, but we needed to gather a few more details.

I just made a post which goes into a bit more detail, and I'd like to ask any future discussion goes there, rather than here. That said, I'd just like to refute the initial statement given here: players are not being banned for going to Ilum. If you wish to travel there, you can.

More details in my other post. We're closing this thread now to consolidate discussion there.