Recent actions against some customer accounts

StephenReid

Our Terms of Service team recently took action against some accounts playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, and we wanted to give you some insight into what happened and why.

First, action was taken against a number of accounts for what's commonly known as 'gold farming' - or in our case, credit farming. These accounts were found to be exploiting the game in a variety of ways to maximize their credits in order to sell them to other players. Our Terms of Service team took action against these accounts and removed them permanently from the game.

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

None of these accounts were banned for their actions and no accounts have been banned for travelling to Ilum while still relatively low level. By comparison, the number of accounts that were warned or temporarily suspended was considerably lower than the number of accounts banned for 'credit farming'.

It's important to remember that our Terms of Service team is extremely careful and thorough in their investigation of any potential exploit or unusual activity in-game. Working closely with the development team and using extensive metrics based on player activity, they are able to determine what is normal player activity, what is unusual and what is exploiting. Our goal is always to ensure a fair game experience for all players while also protecting the rights of individuals, and if people are disrupting the play experience for others action will be taken.

While we will not discuss the details of any individual action, whenever we take action against an account we believe they have clearly broken our Terms of Service. Any action taken against an account can be appealed and in some cases actions have been rescinded.

While we understand people's concern about actions taken against accounts, please remember the Terms of Service team exists to help ensure a balanced and fair game experience for all. When you see reports of actions taken against someone's account, remember they are choosing to tell their version of the story - and there are two sides to every story.

In summary, our Terms of Service team took action against a number of accounts that were 'credit farming' to remove them permanently from the game. They also warned and temporarily suspended - but did not ban - a smaller number of accounts for activities on Ilum that were decided to be game exploits.

Some adjustments will be made to Ilum in the near future to discourage future exploits. However, the planet is still open to anyone who wishes to travel there.

The goal of the Star Wars: The Old Republic team is to maintain a service for our customers that is fun to play and equitable for everyone. Critical to this goal is making sure that gameplay is fair and reasonable and we are constantly on the lookout for anything that would prove to be a detriment to your gameplay experiences.

Thanks for reading, and we hope this gave you some insights.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

So make the containers level acessible... Example: Level 40 + Can open them.

/eyeroll.

/eyeroll.

Possible, but probably not something they considered with all the other stuff they had to do for release. I'm sure they'll patch it in, but in the meantime, rules are rules.

So if players what to spend all day farming credits for their own use they can be warned or banned? That doesn't seem right and runs contrary to maintaining an open economy.

If you want an inflated and broken economy, sure. Just look at WoW, even low level items were being sold for 10x what they were actually worth, and it got progressively worse as time went on.

Edited by DarkZenith

Possible, but probably not something they considered with all the other stuff they had to do for release. I'm sure they'll patch it in, but in the meantime, rules are rules.

If you want an inflated and broken economy, sure. Just look at WoW, even low level items were being sold for 10x what they were actually worth, and it got progressively worse as time went on.

You will not ever be able to control the economy in an MMO. It is a living thing and banning people for making too much money is only going to alienate some of your player base. Planned economies don't work in real life and they don't work in MMOs.

So if players what to spend all day farming credits for their own use they can be warned or banned? That doesn't seem right and runs contrary to maintaining an open economy.

Quite obviously that is not what he said by a long shot. How do you get that from they were banning people for selling credits?

/eyeroll.

Whilst they may have to now to avoid the exploit, there could theoretically have been an exploration factor in being sneaky or clever enough in getting to a few whilst at lower level. Clearly nobody remembers the thrill of doing stuff when the game wasn't really supposed to let you do it, whether soloing a heroic, or finding a clever way to avoid enemies. Edge gaming, if you like. Seeing where the railroads end. Or maybe that's the tester in me talking :D

Taking that to exploit levels and actually breaking the game is of course not what I mean; there's a difference between finding an edge for the fun of it and using a game mechanic for inappropriate gain.

So if your skill in slicing brings you to Ilum but your lvl isn't 40+ you get suspended ? Seems very unfair.

if this is not the case please correct me.

I don't think he is saying that here. However there appears to be some arbitrary limits on how much farming you can do or how much credits you can have.

Edited by PjPablo

So if your skill in slicing brings you to Ilum but your lvl isn't 40+ you get suspended ? Seems very unfair.

Well first off has nothing to do with slicing. It has to do with looting the containers which anyone can open. Second didnt you just read what he said? He said you can go slice there all you want they dont even ban people who now and again loot the containers. They only banned people who were camping the things.

Quite obviously that is not what he said by a long shot. How do you get that from they were banning people for selling credits?

From this:

While we will not discuss the details of any individual action, whenever we take action against an account we believe they have clearly broken our Terms of Service. Any action taken against an account can be appealed and in some cases actions have been rescinded.

I tried to appeal and I haven't gotten a response. I got the e-mail on Friday night, so I've been having a terrible weekend. =( I kind of figured CS would be on vacation, but my 3 days is almost up anyway.

Edited by Alomba

I don't think he is saying that here. However there appears to be some arbitrary limits on how much farming you can do or how much gold you can have.

Which again, is very unfair. This game seems to have more and more restrictions then necessary.

From this:

I guess you missed the systematically and repeatedly. In other words camping them 24/7 so #1 you can get upset the economy and #2 noone else can loot said container.

Which again, is very unfair. This game seems to have more and more restrictions then necessary.

Agree. Playing the AH and participating in the economy is a popular metagame for quite a lot of folks in MMOs. This heavy-handedness is going to alienate some hardcore MMO players.

I guess you missed the systematically and repeatedly. In other words camping them 24/7 so #1 you can get upset the economy and #2 noone else can loot said container.

Which in any other MMO out there is fine behavior. Hell, in EQ you HAD to camp mobs. If people want to sit there for hours so be it. If I want to run around all day and do nothing but farm nodes that should be my decision. If you are going to tell someone they can't farm for their own use you start down a slippery slope. People already have a bad image of EA (for whatever reason I don't know). This just fuels that in their minds.

Which in any other MMO out there is fine behavior. Hell, in EQ you HAD to camp mobs. If people want to sit there for hours so be it. If I want to run around all day and do nothing but farm nodes that should be my decision. If you are going to tell someone they can't farm for their own use you start down a slippery slope. People already have a bad image of EA (for whatever reason I don't know). This just fuels that in their minds.

No not so be it. You cannot sit and camp a location taking all the loot and leaving nothing for everyone else. Especially if you arent even high enough level to be there to begin with. It isnt a slippery slope its very cut and dry. Don't try to take everything for yourself and you wont have these problems. If Bioware wants to make rules is that not their right as the owner of the game? This is a welcome to most people who just want to play and not camp the loot boxes so noone else can get them. I applaud Bioware for it.

i personally think its fantastic to see an MMO actively banning/suspending accounts they deem to be basicly breaking the rules. i came from wow where they rarely do anything about gold sellers etc and it really used to do my head in...

Sooo GJ bio keep up the good work :D

Does it mean I can go to Illum with low-level character and I am not allowed to loot containers, or does it mean I can loot containers with my low-level but I am not allowed to sell it?

Neither. It means you cant plant a low level alt at the containers and loot them 24/7.

Edited by Leggomy

Here is the major difference between EQ and every game that followed. In EQ people cared about there reputation more, and would not camp steal. they knew the loot time was long. and people waited. Sure very once in a while you would get a random guy stealing camp's/loot.

But being black listed did work in EQ. No it wasn't a 100% but nothing is..

Including Bioware trying to control the player trade market. Good luck with that headache. You will have an easier time herding cats.

Is there a possible confirmation that the only way to camp these crates was to use the death and revive system to move past mobs that the character could not normally beat?

Eg.g, die and revive to the other side of an area in a way that uses the 8 second immunity.

Or stealth when the mobs should have spotted them.

In either case, if they were suspended after warnings then they knew they were in the wrong.

You can go to Ilum to level your slicing. You will only be banned if you participate in an exploit or abuse of a flaw in the game programming. If you find a bug and use it to your advantage it is bannable, but leveling crew skills to max at low levels is fine.

Here is the major difference between EQ and every game that followed. In EQ people cared about there reputation more, and would not camp steal. they knew the loot time was long. and people waited. Sure very once in a while you would get a random guy stealing camp's/loot.

But being black listed did work in EQ. No it wasn't a 100% but nothing is..

Including Bioware trying to control the player trade market. Good luck with that headache. You will have an easier time herding cats.

I dont think they are doing too bad a job of it. Seem to be pretty proactive so far.