Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Vodswyld
01.02.2012 , 10:44 AM | #21
Ok, so I am a troubleshooter at heart. I watched the videos linked in the above and there is certainly a problem, but I have not personally experienced it at all.

Think we can sound off with some extra info?

Anyone on Ice Breaker had this happen (that is the same server I am on)

Can anyone who was in Beta say if this has been a long term issue, or was it post-release?

Has anyone who has the issue on their computer tried playing on a friends computer that does not have the issue?
Best part about being Sith? Unabashedly killing everything that looks at you funny. Or just looks at you. Or just looks.

Flightless
01.02.2012 , 10:47 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Vodswyld View Post
Ok, so I am a troubleshooter at heart. I watched the videos linked in the above and there is certainly a problem, but I have not personally experienced it at all.

Think we can sound off with some extra info?

Anyone on Ice Breaker had this happen (that is the same server I am on)

Can anyone who was in Beta say if this has been a long term issue, or was it post-release?

Has anyone who has the issue on their computer tried playing on a friends computer that does not have the issue?
It was raised many times in Beta, as were a lot of other bugs that have managed to make it into the live version.

Corwingeorge
01.02.2012 , 10:48 AM | #23
ive lost hope

Vodswyld
01.02.2012 , 10:50 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Flightless View Post
It was raised many times in Beta, as were a lot of other bugs that have managed to make it into the live version.
Thank you. That is not uncommon, but still no fun.

People have mentioned that sometimes it seems worse and sometimes it is not as bad. Can anyone correlate this to server load? Does this seem to happen more on peak or is it pretty random?
Best part about being Sith? Unabashedly killing everything that looks at you funny. Or just looks at you. Or just looks.

Schizogeist
01.02.2012 , 10:52 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Daeborn View Post
No but your comment sure is.

This game reacts no different than games like LoTRO and others. If you like WoW, which btw is a dumbed down version of most combat systems, then too bad. This isn't WoW and I personally do not have problems with the combat system.
LOL wow is a dumbed down combat system! A mmo that is almost a E-Sport has a bad combat engine? LOLOL sorry but if you don't see problems with SWTOR combat engine you are probably a very unskilled gamer and very slow at making decisions. Perfect game for you.

TheHauntingBard
01.02.2012 , 10:52 AM | #26
Just a friendly bump for this topic, it's an issue that needs to be addressed for both PVE and PVP sake.
If you want to know more about it read the other topic it's explained a lot of times.
It's a bit tiresome to see people trying to argue that it's not there.
Stephen Reid - 9:02a.m. - January 11th 2012 - because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

Larlar
01.02.2012 , 10:53 AM | #27
No but your comment sure is.

This game reacts no different than games like LoTRO and others. If you like WoW, which btw is a dumbed down version of most combat systems, then too bad. This isn't WoW and I personally do not have problems with the combat system.
Wow is simply the point of reference for most people when it comes to smooth and responsive play. That game has set the standards for the MMO genre and matching the smoothness of control and character responsiveness of WOW should be a massive priority for any MMO developer.

As I have said, the ultimate hook in any MMO is the combat and feel of the character itself, yet repeatedly over the past 6/7 years, MMO developers either fail to realise this, or can simply not match Blizzard's excellence in this area. I'm not sure which it is, and I don't care, but the results are the same with a list of games which have not lived up to their potential.

I do not want SWTOR to join that 'club' but its on its way at present.

The game should not be reliant on only the content rewards (items/gear/skillup/levelups) for its player interest. The combat is the ultimate hook and if it isn't fun, the game isn't fun, although it can limp along for a while as a result of all of the other incentives to play. Bioware need to realise this!

How many people remember that in the first few months of WOW's release there were open world PVP wars involving hundreds of people on each side before PVP rewards even existed? There was no honour system, no fancy armour for kills... nothing. The combat was just FUN, and it always has been. The first MMO developer to realise this crucial fact and effectovely act on it will become rich beyond belief. Get the combat/character control/responsiveness right and everything in the game is easier and flows from that.

Thread number 4 - rated 5 star.

Rasstavad
01.02.2012 , 10:53 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by sabresandiego View Post
It is ridiculous how some players claim they do not have the problem. They obviously do, but don't even notice it.
It's been mentioned before - there are two scenarios when it comes to the naysayers.

1) Blind fanbois who will white knight the game no matter what.

2) People who are inherently slow or too casual to notice the ability delay (or as some would say, the "bads")

The issue has already been well documented and acknowledged by the developers. It's not a debate. When people come into these threads and say "nuh-uh!" it just shows that they are one of the above types and should be ignored. The very least they could do is read the first post before they decide to chime in.

Schizogeist
01.02.2012 , 10:54 AM | #29
Then you already made your mind up and why say anything more?
You already told us that you love the combat system and the game is only 2 weeks old...blah blah blah. You made up your mind that you are enjoying this game. Good for you! Go play then and let us try to fix something that is broken to us. Why do you have anything more to say?

oflow
01.02.2012 , 10:56 AM | #30
delete
<Founder>