Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

baznasty
01.02.2012 , 07:33 AM | #1091
What it sounds like to me is you had 2 opposing views on the dev team. You had one team that was saying "GCD should be the governing body for moves." Then you had another team saying, "but we want the animations that we spent so much time on to take priority, so forget the GCD and just have animation timers."

Then you have someone saying, "let's compromise and use both!" Unfortunately, this is not a place where you can have your cake and eat it too. You must choose one or the other.

Having both is one of the most absurd combat choices I have ever seen.

Some moves adhere to GCD because it's animation is less than 1.5 seconds. Some moves have animations that are longer than 1.5 seconds; thus, overriding GCD.

It's our job as the consumer to know try to figure out which one is really taking precedence on a move-by-move basis. Fun...

Khoranth
01.02.2012 , 07:36 AM | #1092
Quote: Originally Posted by baznasty View Post
What it sounds like to me is you had 2 opposing views on the dev team. You had one team that was saying "GCD should be the governing body for moves." Then you had another team saying, "but we want the animations that we spent so much time on to take priority, so forget the GCD and just have animation timers."

Then you have someone saying, "let's compromise and use both!" Unfortunately, this is not a place where you can have your cake and eat it too. You must choose one or the other.

Having both is one of the most absurd combat choices I have ever seen.

Some moves adhere to GCD because it's animation is less than 1.5 seconds. Some moves have animations that are longer than 1.5 seconds; thus, overriding GCD.

It's our job as the consumer to know try to figure out which one is really taking precedence on a move-by-move basis. Fun...
Well the biggest problem is if you press a button while an animation is going the game gets unresponsive and lags you out.

It would be fine if input was blocked and you got a noise or message indicating that you cannot do another action yet.

Larlar
01.02.2012 , 07:54 AM | #1093
I too am highly perturbed by that email.

This game is going to crash and burn horribly if that really is the official view on this. I hope I'm wrong. And its not the people in this thread who they will notice leaving - its the countless others who just feel the game doesn't 'feel' right but aren't sure why. But it will be this issue, the elusive disconnect and clunkiness caused by a combination of all of the above. I'll say it again, most average gamers can't see the wood because of the trees but this issue will be the main reason everyone is moaning.

From a basic perspective, the combat and the feedback you get from executing your abilities is the ultimate hook in any MMO even if you don't realise it. The rewards, the gear, the new skills all follow on from that, but they don't matter if the stuff you are doing constantly (killing mobs/other players) doesn't inherently feel fun and satisfying.

MethiasPrime
01.02.2012 , 07:57 AM | #1094
I agree with some of the points the OP made.
Yes SWTOR restricts you from clipping animations. Thats about the only thing he was correct about.

WoW wasn't any better then SWTOR. In WoW you have a full .5 sec before the server would even register that you had cast a spell. So it didn't really matter if you can clip animations or not when the initial response is a half a second or better.

Guild Wars was the only game that actually had responsive character interaction. In Guild Wars you could effectively interrupt spells with .5 sec casts. Try doing that in WoW and watch your interrupt fail. Even Rift was better then WoW.

I won't deny that SWTOR has its flaws but this is not an issue that bioware should even consider. They should work on all of the graphical glitches, loading problems, and bracketing PVP before they worry about animation clipping.

Khoranth
01.02.2012 , 07:57 AM | #1095
Quote: Originally Posted by Larlar View Post
I too am highly perturbed by that email.

This game is going to crash and burn horribly if that really is the official view on this. I hope I'm wrong. And its not the people in this thread who they will notice leaving - its the countless others who just feel the game doesn't 'feel' right but aren't sure why. But it will be this issue, the elusive disconnect and clunkiness caused by a combination of all of the above. I'll say it again, most average gamers can't see the wood because of the trees but this issue will be the main reason everyone is moaning.

From a basic perspective, the combat and the feedback you get from executing your abilities is the ultimate hook in any MMO even if you don't realise it. The rewards, the gear, the new skills all follow on from that, but they don't matter if the stuff you are doing constantly (killing mobs/other players) doesn't inherently feel fun and satisfying.
I honestly think if they wanted us to sit back and watch animations, bioware should have made the game turn based.

Radagastimus
01.02.2012 , 08:03 AM | #1096
That answer you got for your petition just sounds like an automated message by answer bot. Same that the one in WOW that tell you to update your drivers

Still it sounds a bit confused and concerning. Why would you do animations that over-ride an GCD or last longer than GCD if they are over-riding GCD or why do GCD at all if all yous should be concerned is animation.

As side not i did an Heroic mission today and while there was this delay present at times it worked as well as it works in WOW at times so go figure out why this happens.

Febibi
01.02.2012 , 08:04 AM | #1097
Quote: Originally Posted by Halacs View Post
Yeah it is crisp. I found DaOC to be the next closest then Rift as far as that responsiveness.
daoc <3
()≡ǁ/////ǁ()ǁǁ[██████████████████████████████) CE Preorder - SITH !

smexymage
01.02.2012 , 08:06 AM | #1098
This thread gets my support, this issue is VERY annoying.
. Never Forget

Yestreen
01.02.2012 , 08:10 AM | #1099
Best post ever. I have competitively played MMO's for a long time and i immediately recognized the problem with the combat system. My younger brother is also playing SWTOR and it is his 1st MMO. He knew there was a problem but couldn't exactly pinpoint the exact problem and thought it was just lag. When I explained the problem to him, he immediately decided this was a major oversight in game development.

So there you have it: A newcomer and an experienced MMO gamer both agree that the combat needs to be more responsive, and that animations are less important.

Okato
01.02.2012 , 08:17 AM | #1100
Quote: Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
If that response is real, that is insane.

Why even bother having a GCD? If they want people to wait on animations , they need to match every abilities GCD to the animation.
It is also nonsense. The Sith Juggernaut's Ravage ability is channelled but can usually be interrupted by another skill... except when it plays the animation but does no damage at all (during which time you can't even move your character).

Retaliation can also be used during the animation of any other skill... the problem is, sometimes it can't be used while my character is just stood there not doing anything at all! Press the button once, twice, three... spam the hell out of the button and get no response, even though it has been lit up for the best part of 6 seconds and my character is stood idle like a goon.

Occasionally I can play for 30 minutes without suffering one animation lock, or one 'dead skill' but there are also times when instant skills like Retaliation refuse to trigger no matter how many times I hammer the button.