Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars vs WH40K

Archereon
01.02.2012 , 07:07 AM | #1
Discuss...

No really, this is one of my favorite "who would win?" questions in terms of setting vs setting; The cinema grandady of the modern space opera vs the ultimate grimdark galaxy where there is only grimdark.

Admittance
01.02.2012 , 07:13 AM | #2
i always hate these things but always have an urge to comment on them, just for clarity are we talking all of the star wars uni i.e. sith empire plus the republic Vs the entirety of the Warhammer universe (not even going to attempt to list all the wh40k factions lol)

jarjarloves
01.02.2012 , 07:16 AM | #3
I love Star Wars but with out a doubt WH40k would win. Storm troopers wouldn't have a chance against a Space marine. A Bolt gun is far more powerful then a blaster round and we know that Storm Trooper armor can't even block an arrow it also cracks when they fall down.

The AT-ST made of durasteel is weak enough that a tree can crush it.

Force Lightning is amazing but the power of the force is insignificant to the ability to summon a Deamon from beyond the Warp.

Admittance
01.02.2012 , 07:19 AM | #4
well i was thinking the more powerful side of both universes say a big bad force user, verus say a Primarch or some other such nonsense

jarjarloves
01.02.2012 , 07:31 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Admittance View Post
well i was thinking the more powerful side of both universes say a big bad force user, verus say a Primarch or some other such nonsense
so you are suggesting a powerfull force user vs someone who is a living god?

Admittance
01.02.2012 , 07:39 AM | #6
well they are only demigods and someone like starkiller who has nigh on godly powers(ripping a star destroyer out of the sky is no mean feat) not so uneven of a fight. now if we are talking the Emperor pre-hersey, or the gods of the Immaterium or the Ctan then yhea all force users are gonna get smashed like a bug.

internaty
01.02.2012 , 08:34 AM | #7
It depends on how you want to compair.

I terms of sheer strenth of arms the 40K win without a doudt.

I terms of everything else.
Star wars.

Also i like to point out that imperial gaurd is the counter part of a storm trooper and not the space marine's,

Space marine's would have to be countered by commando's, dark troopers etc.

Now i terms of culture star wars would win.
And if we had to merge the two galaxie enemies wont stop fighting eatchother just because more are added.

While i dont doudt that ctan gods are powerfull there also starving any sith or jedi would simply let them starve.

The emperor is stuck to this throne and if however unlike he was assasinated it would disabled all imperium space travel where hyperdrive's still work.

Add to that while the space marine's are perhaps the deadly's warrior's in this topic they are xenophobic and close minded.

A jedi is open minded and seeks understanding and are thus able to gain countless of allies.

Now given the fact the imperial gaurd can surviver(with heavy losses) agains numberless threat's of space i dont doudt that the star wars troops can also survive agains the same threats(with the same losses).

And i cant stress this enought.

Space marine's are not equile to jedi.

They are great warrior's but so are dark trooper's commando's mandilorains(all beaten)
A jedi is not invicebol but is far more likely to survive purely because of the force guiding them.

Both jedi and sith are probley equal to a liberian/socceror.

Powerfull but not invicebol and more importaned there accauly smart.

Now as for the demons and the chaos powers.

The chaos powers are to busy killing eatchother to care for the meterial world and are unable to cross into the meterial realm without help.

i cant really say much on the chaos gods without playing the god card so i wont argue about them.

The tyranids are beated by sw the same way 40K beats them.

The necrons are like the trade federation(tho stronger weapons) and thus easy to beat using basic militery tatic's(all factions)

And the eldar are beaten by sw the same way 40K beats them.

Also all remains eatchothers enemies so you never know who might screw you next.

That said:

The short answer star wars is smarter while 40k is stronger.

On related note.

Borg(star trek) angels(real life) dimigods(me) god(the almighty) could beat the crap out of all the prenamed factions.
knowledge is power.
use it well.

Good players take any and all advantages they can get, actually. It's why they are good.

Admittance
01.02.2012 , 08:50 AM | #8
the problem with any thing like this is there is no real answer to these questions, and there never will be unless there is a crossover and both these universe have very protective owners

Foxfirega
01.02.2012 , 10:08 AM | #9
If it's just a straight-up combat situation, the one key thing to remember is that just the Imperium of Man in 40k has resources that dwarf even the Infinite Empire from Star Wars, and make the Empire (any era) and the Republic (again, any era) outright envious with the sheer volume of manpower available to the Imperium.

We're talking about people that regularly lose trillions of people to something as simple as accounting errors on a regular basis and doesn't even begin to notice or care for the most part. While still waging wars on every front, outside and within.

I dunno, though, outside of slugfest scenarios: Both settings have their appeal (Warhammer in general gets better the second you realize that taking the fluff seriously is totally not required, and not even something encouraged). Different strokes.

Star Wars is a heck of a lot easier to think about in literary terms, though - and is generally more relateable (which is partially by design, what with 40k being a dystopian 'worst case scenario' crapsack world kind of deal).
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Fozziwig
01.02.2012 , 10:12 AM | #10
Emperor vs. Emperor would be interesting. I would take Palpatine over a dude who can't even get off the "golden throne," which we all know is just a euphemism for toilet.