Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why so much hate for remastered star wars films?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why so much hate for remastered star wars films?

Wraith_Shadow's Avatar


Wraith_Shadow
01.01.2012 , 06:14 AM | #11
It's kind of like Leonardo devinci comming back and painting Mona lisa with her thumbs up. Whiel some stuff added in is reasonable, like Jabba at mos eisley talking to Han, but other things like han shooting first is bad because it Degrades the character. Or in return, that whole Musical number... I can't honestly watch that. it's soo unnecessary. the reason things were the way they were back then was because people (like the directors, actors, producers, other writers) would actually tell him "no george, that's stupid and doesn't work well". Now a days, every one is kissing his hutt like behind because he's got money, but all of his ideas are still bad. Just look at Cartoon network. George makes the clone wars, and it's bad. Cartoon network makes the cartoon, and it's good. George Lucas take the cartoon, and makes it bad. Cartoon network takes the bad and makes it better. Lucas only cares about the money. that's obvious, that's been obvious since day one. Even in interviews when asked questions he will pull the answers out of his butt and suddely it's Canon. Don't believe me, just look up Obi-wan and the planet StewJon....


The hate is because he doesn't care about something great and cheapens it any chance he gets just to make a buck.

dontbeswg's Avatar


dontbeswg
01.01.2012 , 06:17 AM | #12
I think for most OT fans its just another knife to the back, via their prespective of course. For this generation of fan post OT lucas has been such let down on so many levels that each adjustment or even product lucas puts out just metaphorical kicks the man while he is down. The whole process is akin to idol you've say modelled aspects of your life after going down a self destructive pathway (drug, mental breakdown, etc..) and watching each detail unfold.
audio response to the space reveal

Achiever: 60%, Socializer: 60%, Explorer: 40%, ze alp

dontbeswg's Avatar


dontbeswg
01.01.2012 , 06:33 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow View Post
The hate is because he doesn't care about something great and cheapens it any chance he gets just to make a buck.
a lot of it is a fit of narcassium where he needs to establish that it is his art, if you watch any of the documentaries on lucas or starwars, it clearly establishes his need for autonomy with his work which he is willing to go to any lengths to establish (see the cause and affect of using the famous opening craw) and his personal feelings over being george "starwars" Lucas rather than just george lucas.

Like all great producers of human achievement he is eccentric, and usually by the time they hit that twilight stage of life things get messy and erract. I honestly think he is remaking the film and producing star wars products at this stage out of a want for continued expression rather than just making a buck. (and hopefully thats the case).
audio response to the space reveal

Achiever: 60%, Socializer: 60%, Explorer: 40%, ze alp

dontbeswg's Avatar


dontbeswg
01.01.2012 , 06:48 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
Perfectly valid opinion. I disagree, but it's probably just because that moment holds a special place for me. It just felt like a punch in the face. The "No!" sounds dubbed in, cheesy, and weak (again, just my opinion).

Personally, I wish Lucas would just remake episodes 4, 5, and 6. Now, before everyone comes after me with Force FX lightsabers, I want him to remake them so he can have films that match up perfectly to the prequels... thereby leaving the films I grew up with alone. A remake doesn't replace the original. I still have the original Clash of the Titans, the original Fright Night, and the original Conan the Barbarian, even though there were remakes.

But what Lucas is doing is far worse than a remake. He's erasing the movie I love. He's replacing it with something I don't like and making the one I love unavailable. I just think that's a shame.

If the originals aren't the movies he "always wanted to make" then he should make those movies and leave the originals alone.

I find it ironic that he's doing this when he stood so strongly against colorization because he said it defaced the art of the original.
I honestly hope the next star wars flims are set in an era outside 1-6. SW definitely needs to evolve, cinema imo as well, and i would love to see it bring campie into a viable viewing experience again. The option of physcologically dizzying or out and out pull you into tramua to mainfest an experience have taken the magic out of movies, and what made SW 4-6 so profound was that it made happily ever after acceptable at every level for people. The era is set for it, 1979 american morale and cinema feeding off paranoia, hopeless, and decay.... 2012 much the same.
audio response to the space reveal

Achiever: 60%, Socializer: 60%, Explorer: 40%, ze alp

DrDismemberment's Avatar


DrDismemberment
01.01.2012 , 11:50 AM | #15
Only good change ever made in the remakes was the different song at the very end of ROTJ on the DVD remake. However to get the better song you have to put up with Jabba's palace
"The force is what gives a jedi his power surrounds us penetrates us it binds the galaxy together."

EcoLightstorm's Avatar


EcoLightstorm
01.01.2012 , 12:32 PM | #16
If you want to really understand why ep 1 -3 are so bad then watch the plinkett reviews. The reviews are hilarious, and they are critical with being pretentious.

EcoLightstorm's Avatar


EcoLightstorm
01.01.2012 , 12:40 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow View Post
It's kind of like Leonardo devinci comming back and painting Mona lisa with her thumbs up. Whiel some stuff added in is reasonable, like Jabba at mos eisley talking to Han, but other things like han shooting first is bad because it Degrades the character. Or in return, that whole Musical number... I can't honestly watch that. it's soo unnecessary. the reason things were the way they were back then was because people (like the directors, actors, producers, other writers) would actually tell him "no george, that's stupid and doesn't work well". Now a days, every one is kissing his hutt like behind because he's got money, but all of his ideas are still bad. Just look at Cartoon network. George makes the clone wars, and it's bad. Cartoon network makes the cartoon, and it's good. George Lucas take the cartoon, and makes it bad. Cartoon network takes the bad and makes it better. Lucas only cares about the money. that's obvious, that's been obvious since day one. Even in interviews when asked questions he will pull the answers out of his butt and suddely it's Canon. Don't believe me, just look up Obi-wan and the planet StewJon....


The hate is because he doesn't care about something great and cheapens it any chance he gets just to make a buck.
I heard there were only a few drafts of the scripts for episode one... Any writer worth anythin edits repeatedly and then someone else edits it. Lucas surrounds himself with brown nosing yes men. It's amazing how bad ep1-3 are, not to mention for a moment Indy jones four :/

Vecke's Avatar


Vecke
01.01.2012 , 12:54 PM | #18
To be clear, I don't mind the changes he's made. I don't mind remakes of my favorite movies or bad movies based on my favorite books. I still have the original, so I don't care what they do with some other version.

My problem is George's attempts to take away the original. That's the offense, in my opinion. He's not adding to history. He's replacing it.

As new forms of media evolve, we can get all the great classics on Blu Ray, from old TV shows to old movies.

But not the original Star Wars. He wants to force us to buy and watch the tinkered ones.

As a writer and an artist, I find that a little repugnant.

WiGhTkNiGhtt's Avatar


WiGhTkNiGhtt
01.01.2012 , 04:47 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by xnoxiousx View Post
I dont understand all the hate for star wars bluray collection and so on.
Love bluray but i wish it had all unchanged movies a option.

Except for the Han shooting first part everything else i think was needed. like I said before, it helps with continuity, brings better effects and makes things look less cheesy (I mean if 4,5,6 were shot in modern day, the battles would be more epic (I mean you have to admit that CG gives you abilities to bring wonders to the screen like the Old Republic trailers)...imagine the battle of Endor if it was more CG but the live action parts stayed intact or the Empire strikes back snow battle.

Like i said, i'm all for making thing caught up with the times...if some prefer the old stuff...the can play their VHS Star Wars and let others watch the new movies.
I watched Return of the Jedi recently and I honestly think that the Battle of Endor (space battle) looks BETTER and feels MORE REAL than any space battles they put in the Prequels.

NO ONE cares if Lucas simply touched up the graphics a little but he had to go off tinkering with Boba Fett's accent and making Hayden Christensen appear as Darth Vader's ghost like some sort of OCD perfectionist.

WiGhTkNiGhtt's Avatar


WiGhTkNiGhtt
01.01.2012 , 05:02 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow View Post
It's kind of like Leonardo devinci comming back and painting Mona lisa with her thumbs up. Whiel some stuff added in is reasonable, like Jabba at mos eisley talking to Han, but other things like han shooting first is bad because it Degrades the character. Or in return, that whole Musical number... I can't honestly watch that. it's soo unnecessary. the reason things were the way they were back then was because people (like the directors, actors, producers, other writers) would actually tell him "no george, that's stupid and doesn't work well". Now a days, every one is kissing his hutt like behind because he's got money, but all of his ideas are still bad. Just look at Cartoon network. George makes the clone wars, and it's bad. Cartoon network makes the cartoon, and it's good. George Lucas take the cartoon, and makes it bad. Cartoon network takes the bad and makes it better. Lucas only cares about the money. that's obvious, that's been obvious since day one. Even in interviews when asked questions he will pull the answers out of his butt and suddely it's Canon. Don't believe me, just look up Obi-wan and the planet StewJon....


The hate is because he doesn't care about something great and cheapens it any chance he gets just to make a buck.
Great Post!

George Lucas to his team;

"I know, we have legions of 20,30,40 year old+ ADULT Star Wars fans out there dying for another Star Wars film so lets make..........................a KIDS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Imagine Chris Rock's Ruby Rod when he asks his entourage how his Radio show went if you want to know how the folks around George Lucas act when he comes up with an idea.