Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please bring back the opportunity to kill our companions or...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Please bring back the opportunity to kill our companions or...

SarinTabun
01.01.2012 , 09:19 AM | #1
at least let us change their roles. Here's the reason I ask this.

Spoiler

Since BW is not going to let us kill our companions please allow us to change what role they perform.

BenjaminminU
01.01.2012 , 10:07 AM | #2
I just have to be right at the part where i've got this companion so i've spoiled loads of the story now. I agree that we should be able to kill off companions that get annoying but to make sure we don't get stuck without them just allow us to buy droid replacements which would be just as useful but be completely boring in every other way.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

krisslanza
01.01.2012 , 10:13 AM | #3
Except for the fact this would place you at a distinct disadvantage to other players. You would have less companions, thus, less people to send on crew missions or less options available to you.

The whole "gift" system is only in the game for the same reason. So that way people who want to play their character a certain way (i.e. as a very dark side person) won't be prevented from doing romance with certain companions.

SarinTabun
01.01.2012 , 10:42 AM | #4
that's why they need to come up with ways for us to change our companions roles and not pigeon hole each one into a specific healer, tank or dps role.

also if you choose to kill your companion then you need to own that choice. i would rather kill this guy i hate with a passion and lose a companion than have him around. if that makes me short one companion then that's on me and i accept that responsibility.

on another note i do give massive kudo's to bioware for evoking such emotion from me because of their mega awesome story telling ways. i'm just hoping they expand on companion flexibility later down the line. if ever given the chance, i will rid that guy from my crew in an instant, hopefully by force choking his azz.

Wolfninjajedi
01.01.2012 , 10:49 AM | #5
So would you want to change a doctors role from being a doctor to a construction worker over night and expect him to do the same work as the worker? Hello Bioware has made our companions actually have lives, they aren't just some blank slate that you can change on a whim it gives them more personality and the like. They are fine the way they are, and like it has been said countless times your going to be gimping yourself if you kill your companion.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

krisslanza
01.01.2012 , 10:58 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SarinTabun View Post
that's why they need to come up with ways for us to change our companions roles and not pigeon hole each one into a specific healer, tank or dps role.
Except it wouldn't make any sense at all.

"Hey, you. I know you're a warrior and all, but the doctor was looking at me funny, so I killed him. You heal just as good as him now, deal?"

SarinTabun
01.01.2012 , 11:00 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
So would you want to change a doctors role from being a doctor to a construction worker over night and expect him to do the same work as the worker? Hello Bioware has made our companions actually have lives, they aren't just some blank slate that you can change on a whim it gives them more personality and the like. They are fine the way they are, and like it has been said countless times your going to be gimping yourself if you kill your companion.
i'm not saying that it has to be an easy process to change our companions roles. i just wish that the opportunity was there. i know i'm not the only one that hates a companion or two but you're forced to use them because of how the system is set up.

for example you could have a quest line that involves one of your companions to go through some "training" to change their role. bioware is the king of story telling i know they could do it. also make it where you can't change their roles all willy nilly. there could be a 30 day cooldown on it or something or better yet, you can only do it once per companion forever.

as i've stated before if i choose to gimp myself then that's on me and no one else. i'm a big boy and take responsibility for my actions. so if given the opportunity i would gimp myself in a new york minute if i could kill this companion.

krisslanza
01.01.2012 , 11:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SarinTabun View Post
i'm not saying that it has to be an easy process to change our companions roles. i just wish that the opportunity was there. i know i'm not the only one that hates a companion or two but you're forced to use them because of how the system is set up.

for example you could have a quest line that involves one of your companions to go through some "training" to change their role. bioware is the king of story telling i know they could do it. also make it where you can't change their roles all willy nilly. there could be a 30 day cooldown on it or something or better yet, you can only do it once per companion forever.

as i've stated before if i choose to gimp myself then that's on me and no one else. i'm a big boy and take responsibility for my actions. so if given the opportunity i would gimp myself in a new york minute if i could kill this companion.
Except the only way the training makes sense, is if it took months or years. Even in KOTOR2, which had the companions able to become Jedi, it took a long time. And they weren't radically changing their skills up to that point, so much as just taking them to the next level.

Elear
01.01.2012 , 11:52 AM | #9
Main problem here isn't losing companions - you would do it with clear intention to do so, and therefore have to live with this choice.

Problem lies in people that don't realy want to kill them but would still do it to see what happens. And then rivers would flow.

Wait, you mean I permanently killed him? Like, forever?
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord Vader
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

_Miranda_
01.01.2012 , 11:58 AM | #10
I despise Theran to the point of not wanting to play my consular anymore, yet he is by far the best companion.

It's actually making the game not fun for me to constantly hear his stupid catch phrases over and over.

Please, letting us swap companion roles would be awesome. I would rather use someone like Qyzan (for one thing, he doesn't talk during combat) but I am in no need of his skill. I need a healer.

Ugh, it looks like I am going to have to reroll, and to choose my class entirely on which companion useful to the class is least irritating.

Or just buff our armor/dps by 25% if we are solo with no companions so we don't have to use one.
~~>Ceridwen<~~
Republic Centurions
An LGBT friendly roleplaying Guild!