Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free To Play For Solo/Story, Pay 15/Month For "MMO Features" Everybody Wins

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Free To Play For Solo/Story, Pay 15/Month For "MMO Features" Everybody Wins

Shadysketchy
01.01.2012 , 05:23 AM | #1
Fact: Lots of people do not think SWTOR is a proper MMO

Fact: SWTOR has 8 different stories, well worth the 60 dollar box

Okay, so let's not argue about weather or not SWTOR is an MMORPG, a Co-Op Game, a Single Player game, etc.; let's just face the facts, that SWTOR feels like different genres, to different people. I ask that you respect the opinion, and perspective of all parties involved, if you post in this Thread

With that in mind, let's consider what's realistic in terms of payment options. Most people aren't going to pay 15 dollars a month for something they consider to be a Single Player game. The rest, who consider this game an MMO, probably don't mind the pay-to-play model. That's why I think SWTOR should have different payment models:

Plan A (The new one) 60 Dollars for the box/CD Key, and you can play the game to your heart's content, on a PvE Server; but you cannot join or create groups, participate in PvP - Warzones or otherwise, and just in general, be excluded from all of SWTOR's "MMO Features". But you can play through every Story that interests you

Plan B (The current one) 60 Dollars for the box/CD Key, plus 15 Dollars a month, and you can play the game to your heart's content; in the same exact way as we all can right now

This is a win/win situation, for everyone. I don't think SWTOR is an MMO, so I won't pay 15 dollars a month for it, unless major changes are made; but I still like the stories, just like most other BioWare stories, and I consider that content worth the 60 dollar box. Those of you who do think SWTOR is an MMO can keep paying 15 dollars a month, for all of the game's "MMO Features".

TL;DR, I think this game should be free to play for the stories, but pay to play for MMO Features; what do you think?
Cancelled, January/4/2012
Level 50, December/22/2011
TOR's Most Critical Errors http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=67935
Dark Side Critical Errors, New Payment Ideas, Poor Customer Support

twistedtime
01.01.2012 , 05:24 AM | #2
This just...hurts to read.
You have not died until I consent..........*Warning Counter: 1*

Swift
01.01.2012 , 05:25 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by twistedtime View Post
This just...hurts to read.
This.

Reztastic
01.01.2012 , 05:27 AM | #4
I could see it happening. There's very little group content by the players.
Regardless, I have my VIP room to smack my wookies in and snort death sticks off a droids rear-access hatch.
Quote: Originally Posted by PatsyAnderson
We're going to close this thread, since it is aimed at the community and not about the game.

SwigMcJigger
01.01.2012 , 05:29 AM | #5
Penny Arcade said it will be free 2 play soon and I think that will be the best option with micro-transactions.
I Hutball so hard Garadda wants to fine me.

livespawn
01.01.2012 , 05:30 AM | #6
EA loves money though, it needs moor!

Shadysketchy
01.01.2012 , 05:38 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by livespawn View Post
EA loves money though, it needs moor!
With long term longevity in mind, I think they'll make more money, by selling SWTOR is half Single Player/Half MMO, than they will by charging a sub no matter what
TOR's Most Critical Errors http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=67935

tomatrik
01.01.2012 , 05:40 AM | #8
So far I love the game,but if it ever go f2p I will quit.I will never play a f2p mmo....ever!

Imo f2p mmo's are for kids.

GunsBlazing
01.01.2012 , 05:42 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by tomatrik View Post
So far I love the game,but if it ever go f2p I will quit.I will never play a f2p mmo....ever!

This.
"Being a Jedi will involve making such life and death choices. You'll have to face terrible ordeals. It is very easy to become trapped into a corner with nowhere to go."

Shadysketchy
01.01.2012 , 05:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by tomatrik View Post

A couple weeks ago, I would've said the same exact thing

Times are changing though, I think it's time for us to adapt