Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why so much hate for remastered star wars films?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why so much hate for remastered star wars films?

xnoxiousx
12.31.2011 , 11:53 PM | #1
I dont understand all the hate for star wars bluray collection and so on.
Love bluray but i wish it had all unchanged movies a option.

Except for the Han shooting first part everything else i think was needed. like I said before, it helps with continuity, brings better effects and makes things look less cheesy (I mean if 4,5,6 were shot in modern day, the battles would be more epic (I mean you have to admit that CG gives you abilities to bring wonders to the screen like the Old Republic trailers)...imagine the battle of Endor if it was more CG but the live action parts stayed intact or the Empire strikes back snow battle.

Like i said, i'm all for making thing caught up with the times...if some prefer the old stuff...the can play their VHS Star Wars and let others watch the new movies.

Vecke
01.01.2012 , 01:36 AM | #2
For me, it boils down to Vader screaming "NO!" at the end.

On the surface, that seems like a small reason, but it's really a bigger deal than you might think.

That moment was the climax of the entire Star Wars saga. That was - for me - the single most powerful moment in the entire saga.

Vader's silent sacrifice was (again, for me) one of the single most powerful moments in film history.

To add that "NO!" is just, in my opinion, completely unnecessary and actually removes the power of that moment. Now, when I watch that scene... THE scene I watch the entire saga to get to... I'm immediately pulled out of the story by a badly rehash of a scream from an earlier film.

It was a completely unnecessary change that cheapened what was my all time favorite scene in all of Star Wars.

So that's why the blu ray edition of star wars is the only one I won't own.

Rikalonius
01.01.2012 , 01:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by xnoxiousx View Post
I dont understand all the hate for star wars bluray collection and so on.
Love bluray but i wish it had all unchanged movies a option.

Except for the Han shooting first part everything else i think was needed. like I said before, it helps with continuity, brings better effects and makes things look less cheesy (I mean if 4,5,6 were shot in modern day, the battles would be more epic (I mean you have to admit that CG gives you abilities to bring wonders to the screen like the Old Republic trailers)...imagine the battle of Endor if it was more CG but the live action parts stayed intact or the Empire strikes back snow battle.

Like i said, i'm all for making thing caught up with the times...if some prefer the old stuff...the can play their VHS Star Wars and let others watch the new movies.

If 4 were shot in the modern day there would have never been a 5. It would have been a CGI crapfest that would have been forgotten by the next CGI crapfest to come along to grab the attention of the ADD addled Ritalin generation. Well, maybe there would have been a 5, but it would have been a lot like the second Transformers, and not the movie that solidified the franchise in pop-culture immortality, The Empire Strikes Back. I just wish Geoge hadn't had the power to get rid of Kurtz when he didn't go along with his toy selling machinations. Return could have been the best movie of all. Instead, we had Ewoks.

You want to know what 4 looks like modern day, watch TPM. That's Lucas unleashed. CGI should be a dressing to make other effects look better, or to pull off something that just can't be done. Instead, directors drown movies in it. It helps to hide their pathetic dialog. Other than making Bespin look more Bespin, I can't think of one change to Star Wars that was necessary. More Mos Eisley? Not a chance. The whole Jawa falling off the ronto was dumb. Extended Jabba musical number? Are you out of your mind? Sarlac pit becoming the alien plant from Little Shop of Horrors was uneccessary. Darth Vader screaming "noooooo" has to be the most egregious change of the bunch, even leap-frogging Greedo shooting first at the top of my contempt list.

Star Wars was a decent film, a hodge-podge of better movies told from a Flash Gordon-esque pop sci-fi point of view, but a decent movie none-the-less. That George Lucas, when he made Star Wars, showed great skill at Cinematography, plus a dose of cutting edge special effects, was what got Star Wars it's accolades, not Lucas' writing. Star Wars, especially the Tatooine scenes, is a pretty film.

I'm all for re-mastering a classic like the OT for blue ray. The Godfather recently got an award winning treatment, but to continue to f**k it up with every new release, well, it's just incomprehensible.

xnoxiousx
01.01.2012 , 02:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
For me, it boils down to Vader screaming "NO!" at the end.

On the surface, that seems like a small reason, but it's really a bigger deal than you might think.

That moment was the climax of the entire Star Wars saga. That was - for me - the single most powerful moment in the entire saga.

Vader's silent sacrifice was (again, for me) one of the single most powerful moments in film history.

To add that "NO!" is just, in my opinion, completely unnecessary and actually removes the power of that moment. Now, when I watch that scene... THE scene I watch the entire saga to get to... I'm immediately pulled out of the story by a badly rehash of a scream from an earlier film.

It was a completely unnecessary change that cheapened what was my all time favorite scene in all of Star Wars.

So that's why the blu ray edition of star wars is the only one I won't own.
Eh i dont see it as that big of a deal. But then again i did not watch star wars movies till 2000's and they were dvd not original.

After watching Episodes I, II and III, you can clearly see that Anakin hates loosing family and friends. Anakin Yelled "Nooooo" in Episode 3 because he was told that Padme died. He loved he so much.

Now, for the part where Vader yells "No, Nooo" in Episode 6, its because hes not going to let his son die, at the hands of the Emperor, who indirectly killed Padme. I find this "No, noo" completely accurate.

No need for "No, noo" if there were no prequels.

So yes it makes sense to add it but just to fit the prequels.

xnoxiousx
01.01.2012 , 02:04 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikalonius View Post
If 4 were shot in the modern day there would have never been a 5. It would have been a CGI crapfest that would have been forgotten by the next CGI crapfest to come along to grab the attention of the ADD addled Ritalin generation. Well, maybe there would have been a 5, but it would have been a lot like the second Transformers, and not the movie that solidified the franchise in pop-culture immortality, The Empire Strikes Back. I just wish Geoge hadn't had the power to get rid of Kurtz when he didn't go along with his toy selling machinations. Return could have been the best movie of all. Instead, we had Ewoks.

You want to know what 4 looks like modern day, watch TPM. That's Lucas unleashed. CGI should be a dressing to make other effects look better, or to pull off something that just can't be done. Instead, directors drown movies in it. It helps to hide their pathetic dialog. Other than making Bespin look more Bespin, I can't think of one change to Star Wars that was necessary. More Mos Eisley? Not a chance. The whole Jawa falling off the ronto was dumb. Extended Jabba musical number? Are you out of your mind? Sarlac pit becoming the alien plant from Little Shop of Horrors was uneccessary. Darth Vader screaming "noooooo" has to be the most egregious change of the bunch, even leap-frogging Greedo shooting first at the top of my contempt list.

Star Wars was a decent film, a hodge-podge of better movies told from a Flash Gordon-esque pop sci-fi point of view, but a decent movie none-the-less. That George Lucas, when he made Star Wars, showed great skill at Cinematography, plus a dose of cutting edge special effects, was what got Star Wars it's accolades, not Lucas' writing. Star Wars, especially the Tatooine scenes, is a pretty film.

I'm all for re-mastering a classic like the OT for blue ray. The Godfather recently got an award winning treatment, but to continue to f**k it up with every new release, well, it's just incomprehensible.
Eh might just be me. I enjoy movies im not a super hardcore fan or critic i watch movies for fun and so on i dont pay to much attention to all little things movie diehards do.

Shalynn_Bast
01.01.2012 , 02:21 AM | #6
Honestly ive been a fan of starwars since 1989, and i watch the movies FOR FUN, the only thing id have to say about the Movie's is please do a CGI of yoda for Episode 1....plzzzz

Other than that, all 6 are fricken amazing.

Teabaker
01.01.2012 , 02:23 AM | #7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBBS1aGDM1c

Like really, just look at this mess. This is why.

Vecke
01.01.2012 , 02:23 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by xnoxiousx View Post
Eh i dont see it as that big of a deal. But then again i did not watch star wars movies till 2000's and they were dvd not original.

After watching Episodes I, II and III, you can clearly see that Anakin hates loosing family and friends. Anakin Yelled "Nooooo" in Episode 3 because he was told that Padme died. He loved he so much.

Now, for the part where Vader yells "No, Nooo" in Episode 6, its because hes not going to let his son die, at the hands of the Emperor, who indirectly killed Padme. I find this "No, noo" completely accurate.

No need for "No, noo" if there were no prequels.

So yes it makes sense to add it but just to fit the prequels.
Perfectly valid opinion. I disagree, but it's probably just because that moment holds a special place for me. It just felt like a punch in the face. The "No!" sounds dubbed in, cheesy, and weak (again, just my opinion).

Personally, I wish Lucas would just remake episodes 4, 5, and 6. Now, before everyone comes after me with Force FX lightsabers, I want him to remake them so he can have films that match up perfectly to the prequels... thereby leaving the films I grew up with alone. A remake doesn't replace the original. I still have the original Clash of the Titans, the original Fright Night, and the original Conan the Barbarian, even though there were remakes.

But what Lucas is doing is far worse than a remake. He's erasing the movie I love. He's replacing it with something I don't like and making the one I love unavailable. I just think that's a shame.

If the originals aren't the movies he "always wanted to make" then he should make those movies and leave the originals alone.

I find it ironic that he's doing this when he stood so strongly against colorization because he said it defaced the art of the original.

xnoxiousx
01.01.2012 , 02:48 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
Perfectly valid opinion. I disagree, but it's probably just because that moment holds a special place for me. It just felt like a punch in the face. The "No!" sounds dubbed in, cheesy, and weak (again, just my opinion).

Personally, I wish Lucas would just remake episodes 4, 5, and 6. Now, before everyone comes after me with Force FX lightsabers, I want him to remake them so he can have films that match up perfectly to the prequels... thereby leaving the films I grew up with alone. A remake doesn't replace the original. I still have the original Clash of the Titans, the original Fright Night, and the original Conan the Barbarian, even though there were remakes.

But what Lucas is doing is far worse than a remake. He's erasing the movie I love. He's replacing it with something I don't like and making the one I love unavailable. I just think that's a shame.

If the originals aren't the movies he "always wanted to make" then he should make those movies and leave the originals alone.

I find it ironic that he's doing this when he stood so strongly against colorization because he said it defaced the art of the original.
Yea i kinda agree he should just do a full remake if he wants update them and keep the original.

There already making all star wars movies in 3d... Not sure how 4-6 are gonna work but episode 1 in 3d comes out this early Q1 of this year.

Kommodo
01.01.2012 , 05:55 AM | #10
Love them all. Always will. Sometimes people just get too picky about stuff.

And I watched them first back in about 1981. ( was not old enough to watch Ep 4 in cinema, but saw them all when ROTJ came out in the movies)