Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hutt Life Cycle, Alien Languages and you! (Questionz!)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Hutt Life Cycle, Alien Languages and you! (Questionz!)

ClassyBadger
12.31.2011 , 11:41 PM | #1
Yeah, so hi, two things about SWTOR has been bothering me alot... First of all, what happens to Hutts when they mature? Do they turn into flies? Mosquitoes? Butterflies? Something else entirely?

Also, how come, if every race in the entire galaxy speak eachothers' languages fluently, regardless of anything, why don't they all just speak the same language to eachother? It would be far more convenient if everything spoke english and we didn't have to read subtitles if this is actually the case - which it seems to be.

Thanks to whoever answers these questions!

Bountyseeker
12.31.2011 , 11:56 PM | #2
Well for your first question, the Hutts you see are the mature form. They're slugs, not caterpillars, so they grow from a little slug (a Huttlett) into a big slug.

As for why everybody doesn't just speak Basic, there are a few reasons. In the case of the Hutts, they speak Huttese because they consider it the superior language and enjoy the superiority that comes from making others speak their language. Many others speak Huttese because either they're more comfortable, or they only know it (it is the second most known language in the galaxy).

Other species, like the Wookiees, actually can't speak Basic.

Some other languages are just to make the species seem more alien, though

Hope that helps.

ClassyBadger
12.31.2011 , 11:58 PM | #3
Yeah, thanks for the quick reply! I hope it's gonna bother me less, now!

Mr_Gone
01.01.2012 , 01:09 AM | #4
Not to mention, and I'm not saying its a bad thing, but with alien languages they can reuse dialog and change the subs making it far cheaper then actual voiced dialog. I just hope they don't over use this in the expantions.

This brings me to another question if everyone can understand eachother what was the point of C3P0?

JawaJedi
01.01.2012 , 01:12 AM | #5
Not everyone can understand eachother. At one point on Alderaan, one of your contacts (forget if its smuggler only or if its a planet quest...think its smuggler only), is speaking in Huttesse because its less known than basic and he's worried about people listening in. Its just, you in all your adventures and infinite knowledge can. Plus, lots of people don't understand what Bowdaar says.
Quote: Originally Posted by Saevio View Post
I haven't understood anything anyone has said in this thread so far. That's common on these forums though.

Sonn
01.01.2012 , 01:44 AM | #6
Slug.

Galactic Basic.