< beg > Please fix level sync/scaling. It makes progression, gear, level meaningless.

Muckbeast

I am a fan of the concept of scaling/level syncing so story/solo/heroics around the entire galaxy are fun forever.

But you should never be WEAKER because you gained levels or got better gear. The relative percentages and power should still increase when you have better gear - particularly for your tertiary stats.

Screenshots and google doc spreadsheet link have all the data. It's bad. Really bad. See below.

Right now, alacrity and crit get absolutely gutted making it impossible to maintain consistent gameplay feel via your cooldowns/crits. At some level ranges, even your accuracy is gutted.

EXAMPLE #1 - Level 75 Character:

Stronghold:

Acc: 110.62%

Crit: 45.89%

Alac: 7.56%

Stats in Taris (scaled down):

Acc: 103.7%

Crit: 24.2%

Alac: 1.38%

Change:

Acc: Lose 6.92%

Crit: Lose 21.69% <=== ?!?!?!?! BRUTAL!

Alac: Lose 6.18% <=== rip GCDs

https://imgur.com/2VsRVXT.jpg

EXAMPLE #2 - Level 80 Character:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13oCgzAJh3-Zhf41btLkEsjIQ0mLkww_B2D3-xJnWaZU/edit#gid=0

This above link has data on two different level 80 builds in Stronghold and scaled/synced to CZ-198 (56), Voss (48), Belsavis (45), Nar Shadda (25), Balmorra (21). For example:

Stronghold:

Acc: 110.00%

Crit: 36.59%

Alac: 7.42%

Belsavis (45):

Acc: 113.00% +3.00%

Crit: 27.93% -8.66%

Alac: 3.28% -4.14%

What is the point of playing, gaining levels, getting gear, planning builds, etc. if it all gets ruined the second you go do content in 99% of the game? You cannot even plan around it because it is inconsistent depending on where you go and it guts your stats so hard it is impossible to counter it.

Progression is destroyed by this. The fun of leveling and gearing are ruined by this.

I have not found a single post of Bioware addressing this or saying they will fix it.

This is really, really bad.

Changing level sync/scaling is not "fixing" it, as you call it. Basically you want game to be easier by allowing you to overlevel everything much harder.

And gearing still matters for late game, after you have finished the story. This is how it was designed, and maybe you (and others?) think it needs to be changed, but that would be change, not a fix.

@OP: I agree. If "gearing still matters", why do I even bother to gear when **** like this happen, e.g. your accuracy stat in your post goes to 113% ? Might as well just get the standard mods at level 70 as a dps and the planetary scaling would make sure I have more than enough accuracy as a DPS. The game is not harder, at least for me, it is only getting longer to clear a boss via Heroic. Bosses In Heroics are not hard, unlike Operation, but it is just so tedious because now all my attacks/defense are capped => I cant DPS or Tank as effective as 6.0.

(I'm gonna ignore companion's presence being capped because that is another can of worms. Just in case there are cries of "companions are not broken in 7.0")

Slowly, it becomes a chore and is no longer fun to play.

Edited by afwhoefuwov

Changing level sync/scaling is not "fixing" it, as you call it. Basically you want game to be easier by allowing you to overlevel everything much harder.

Oh no. You accidentally really embarrassed yourself by not reading the post and the data. So sad. :(

Please go re-read - slower this time.

And gearing still matters for late game, after you have finished the story. This is how it was designed, and maybe you (and others?) think it needs to be changed, but that would be change, not a fix.

That is a trivial % of the game and is not the type of content most heavily or frequently played. The vast majority of the game is played while level synced.

Point stands:

If you spend the time, effort, and energy to get your gear to certain stat breakpoints, you should get to enjoy the benefits of that effort while playing the game. You should never lose all of it and have all that progression rendered moot by a bad sync/scaling algorithm.

Level sync came in at a later date than I started playing.

I hated it then, I hate it now.

Other games I played did it and I ditched them.

(Pandas didn't help)

I carry on cos SW, that's all.

Gearing up to max to only get chased across a planet by mobs of lower level trash is annoying.

Also time consuming and pointless.

Getting dismounted easily makes it worse.

Gotta say, can't see it changing.

Edited by Rammboo

The problem is the final result - the relative stat value - is going down as well. How good you are FOR YOUR LEVEL (or in relation to mobs) is going down, not just the raw value.

The rating system for accuracy, alacrity, and crit already have built in scaling. That's why you need 2154 alacrity at level 80 for 7.15% whereas you only need like ~200 alacrity at lower levels to reach 7.15%+.

The raw number scaling down is obvious. Otherwise you'd have 100% crit and insane alacrity% when you sync down.

The problem is that the final, net result is also getting weaker due to a bad scaling/sync formula.

More data/analysis:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1004143

I like level Syncing/Scaling but I feel that should only Apply for PVP areas, Planets should be move allow players who are above the Level Requirements keep their stats, but if a planet is minimum lvl is 20 people below that level get boosted to 20 in stats (like in PVP where your boosted to 75/80), so if they completed a planet under level than it helps them. From my personal experience time you finish the Planet main storyline and Class mission you usually at level cap for the planet if not more. this system seems to be more of a punishment on players who do the side missions. best way to fix this is to put the difficult setting in, where you can choose to play with stronger enemies for better rewards, even if its just for Solo/Group areas and not Open world