Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

LGBT Players - Check in here!

Kresse
12.31.2011 , 02:06 PM | #1
Sound off!

(Also, this isn't a dating thread. That'd be a bit much ()>.> )
Former Fury Warrior; current Sith Marauder
Lord Brojangles - Marauder (42) Shii-Cho, Empire

FallenValkyrja
12.31.2011 , 02:37 PM | #2
There are quite a few of us who fall under the umbrella playing alongside with our esteemed straight allies.

~FV~
Veteran of Vae Victis
Website | Charter | How to Apply
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

katjakaisa
12.31.2011 , 03:45 PM | #3
Creating an LGBT guild is one thing, just make sure that you actually DO have straight ppl in the guild or you might wind up in a guild enforcement problem....

The problem being that policy enforcement does not distinguish exclusivity...

Activision Blizzard won their court case over destroying an LGBT guild because they refused to include straight ppl, so therefore....

it fell under the same heading as racism, sexism and genderism...

if you're afraid to be out of the closet and open with the guild your in, find a different guild!

(p.s. I had a normal old regular guild once, that was run by a gay man, then by a lesbian, and a core of the guild was straight... btw, every LGBT member was completely open in convo, had great times. But if you feel you can't be open completely, you have personal issues to resolve and shouldn't push em onto the community...)

BrigOrion
12.31.2011 , 08:36 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by katjakaisa View Post
Creating an LGBT guild is one thing, just make sure that you actually DO have straight ppl in the guild or you might wind up in a guild enforcement problem....

The problem being that policy enforcement does not distinguish exclusivity...

Activision Blizzard won their court case over destroying an LGBT guild because they refused to include straight ppl, so therefore....

it fell under the same heading as racism, sexism and genderism...

if you're afraid to be out of the closet and open with the guild your in, find a different guild!

(p.s. I had a normal old regular guild once, that was run by a gay man, then by a lesbian, and a core of the guild was straight... btw, every LGBT member was completely open in convo, had great times. But if you feel you can't be open completely, you have personal issues to resolve and shouldn't push em onto the community...)
Other than your post, no one in this thread was talking about forming a guild of any kind.

parishealton
12.31.2011 , 11:12 PM | #5
I'm a homosexual and this is my 2nd MMO coming from WoW.
I actually love this more then WoW.
I've never watched any of the star wars movies so I don't understand most of the stuff going on, luckily my partner is a SWTOR fan and got the collectors edition today so this is the first time we'll be playing together

He didn't like WoW whatsoever mostly because he didn't agree with some of the game mechanics etc etc.

but yea we'll be playing SWTOR together shortly (forgot my server)
but as far as the thread goes I keep to myself and keep my personal life out of my social interaction in WoW/SWTOR unless asked specifically about my orientation and whether or not it's important to know for the guild (in case they don't accept homosexuals)

everyone wins no?
I'd like to meet a talking grilled cheese sandwich

Kresse
01.01.2012 , 03:54 AM | #6
It saddens me that an innocent check-in and socializing thread turned into arguments and jackarsery.

If you want to argue, go to 4chan or something.
Former Fury Warrior; current Sith Marauder
Lord Brojangles - Marauder (42) Shii-Cho, Empire

Sirrayo
01.01.2012 , 04:01 AM | #7
To explain to most people in this thread why LGBT guilds exist.

Make no mistake an LGBT is not an attempt to create our own little island away from the rest of the community, on the contrary it's the exact opposite, its so we can have representation and a positive community in the game and be in a guild where you don't HAVE to worry about an officer being a bigot or someone being uncomfortable with you as a person.

There is no Straight pride guild because every guild IS straight already or the norm.

If you wanna pretend that there's no anti gay bias in a lot of US server's you're more then welcome too, I would also like to enjoy whatever kool-aid you're drinking. LGBT guilds give members, obviously gay members and allies freedom to be themselves without having to bend over backwards because of how you feel or think any group of people should act.

Why is it a big deal? Because if a person has to remain in the closet to be a functioning or respected player on the server. Yeah that's pretty messed up. Just read that aloud and try to defend it, it doesn't matter if you're "cool with the gays" when other people are not. Homophobia exists when misinterpretation runs rampant and that's due to overwhelming bigotry and complete ignorance of the existence of any minority. It's none of your business what we do, and its none of my business what you do, but you can't pretend people don't exist because you're afraid some ******* idiot is going to be "offended", because that enables and gives the people offended the idea that violating human rights is a-ok. Which I don't think I need to explain isn't right.

The difference between a pride guild and your everyday guild is pride guild accept everyone.

"Straight guilds" might not. In fact you're more than welcome to join any "gay" guild, and see how it's the same old song and dance with any other guild, except they might be slightly prettier than the average MMOer.

And of course gay guy with a sarcastic attitude sounding off

Elblai
01.01.2012 , 04:14 AM | #8
Not, LGBT myself - but I support the LGBT (singularly, together, in any arrangement thereof) part of our wonderful community.

I say more power to ya, and to the rest of us as we all work towards acceptance.

MSandman
01.01.2012 , 04:17 AM | #9
I myself am transgendered (MtF) and a member of the lesser known sexuality, pansexuality.
For those not in the know, pansexuality is the attraction to people of all sexes or genders. It sounds like bisexuality, but the literal definition of bisexuality only encompasses both sexes, not genders. That's my belief, however, but I don't object if you fall under those standards for pans and continue to call yourself bi. Part of what I've learned while being transgendered is that people need to be able to define themselves to their pleasing, not others.

Snipergirl
01.01.2012 , 06:41 AM | #10
Not to mention that quite a few online games (BF, CoD etc) have a huge problem with a culture of people going around going "UR A ***", "YOUR GUN IS ****" (wat, it's attracted to other guns?!) and the like...

I see nothing wrong with making it clear that in actual fact there are plenty of people around who have an issue with the above nonsense due to the fact that they are in fact GLBTIQXYZ (bacon/lettuce/tomato/grapes/icecream/quincepaste?). Not that salami um i mean straight people don't have a problem with idiots. Plenty of my straight friends are just as annoyed with that sort of idiotic behaviour.

My experience has certainly been that in high school for example where no-one was openly non-straight, there was a lot of homophobic/queerphobic crap being spouted loudly and obnoxiously. Once people started coming out and identifying as their sexual orientation or gender orientation then things started to improve dramatically, and their straight friends would also stick up for the issue rather than being scared to be labelled as a queer just for trying to stick up for a friend.

It's not just about having an identity or whatever... it's about fighting a toxic culture that afflicts many an online game. (So far SWTOR has been pretty good I must say)

Just sayin'

(FYI - I like mostly ladies, the occasional mans, i'm not polyamorous, and I identify as a ladiez. I have a lot of straight friends as well as non-straight friends. I don't really label myself as anything in particular but I have no problem with those who do)
bunnies... *splat*

:hope_05 :