Alder Lake Issue Fix

CommunityTeam

• Dev Post

EDIT made on 2/14/22

We received reports of players experiencing issues with Ryzen processors after the initial fix went out. The below Launcher Repair link has been updated to fix the issues players were experiencing with Alder Lake and Ryzen. Please follow the steps as they are listed.

Thank you for patience as we investigated the reports that came in and tested the fix for it.

Original message

Hi folks,

A fix has been deployed for the Alder Lake issue that has been preventing certain players from launching the game. Players with a 12th generation Intel CPU (ex: i7-12700K Processor “Alder Lake”) have been impacted by this issue.

For players already on Alder Lake, they will need to download and run the Launcher Repair Utility tool. Note: This will not require a reinstall of the entire game. When asked where to install, instead of using the default folder, choose:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic or the location where you have installed the game.

For players who have not yet upgraded to Alder Lake or use Steam, nothing needs to be done manually on their side. Their launcher will auto-patch to the version that has the fix. This should require little to no time to auto-patch.

Thank you for your patience!

Community Team

Edited by JackieKo

So i installed it to that folder, yet there isnt a launcher repair application in there. I tried to run the launcher again after putting the file there and it did the same thing. Did i do somethign wrong or miss a step?

Yea no fix.. What now?

Edited by ASperry
add

So i installed it to that folder, yet there isnt a launcher repair application in there. I tried to run the launcher again after putting the file there and it did the same thing. Did i do somethign wrong or miss a step?

Yea no fix.. What now?

That file is a self extracting archive you need to run it

Hi folks,

A fix has been deployed for the Alder Lake issue that has been preventing certain players from launching the game. Players with a 12th generation Intel CPU (ex: i7-12700K Processor “Alder Lake”) have been impacted by this issue.

For players already on Alder Lake, they will need to download and run the Launcher Repair Utility tool. Note: This will not require a reinstall of the entire game. When asked where to install, instead of using the default folder, choose:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic or the location where you have installed the game.

For players who have not yet upgraded to Alder Lake or use Steam, nothing needs to be done manually on their side. Their launcher will auto-patch to the version that has the fix. This should require little to no time to auto-patch.

Community Team

#Didn't FixAnything

Attempting an uninstall and reinstall. If that doesn't work, I can always unsubscribe and I'm sure BioWare will be happy to refund me my money, right?

• 2 months later...
about to Upgrade to the 12700k. Has this issue been fixed? Im going to hold off if not. I see responses here saying not fixed. So thats Why I am asking. I would assume it is since there is no comments after Feb 16. Just want to confirm Edited by Zergnaut

about to Upgrade to the 12700k. Has this issue been fixed? Im going to hold off if not. I see responses here saying not fixed. So thats Why I am asking. I would assume it is since there is no comments after Feb 16. Just want to confirm

Dammit, i have bought preciselly an 12700K ... and spent about €6K on my new system.

Lol, i hope as hell, it does plays SWTOR

Edited by HectorCasan

about to Upgrade to the 12700k. Has this issue been fixed? Im going to hold off if not. I see responses here saying not fixed. So thats Why I am asking. I would assume it is since there is no comments after Feb 16. Just want to confirm

Well, you could upgrade to AMD, just to be sure. 🙂

Well, you could upgrade to AMD, just to be sure. 🙂

Not an upgrade at this point. If AMD had one more generation coming id agree 100% AM4 is a dead platform

On intel I have an upgrade path. I can move to 13th gen Raptor Lake later if I choose. Also I will have all the new upcoming features with the z690 boards. Its just a smarter investment atm.

14th gen may be LGA 1700 too we dont know yet. But we know for sure raptor lake is.

Edited by Zergnaut

Not an upgrade at this point. If AMD had one more generation coming id agree 100% AM4 is a dead platform

On intel I have an upgrade path. I can move to 13th gen Raptor Lake later if I choose. Also I will have all the new upcoming features with the z690 boards. Its just a smarter investment atm.

14th gen may be LGA 1700 too we dont know yet. But we know for sure raptor lake is.

Depends on your personal hardware refresh cycle

For most people, this is about every 3-5 years, which makes generational support on Intel completely irrelevant (which updates usually every 2 years or so).

So realistically speaking, for most people the "in the moment" biggest bang for their buck is the optimal choice (which could go either way these days)

In my years of upgrading my own, and other peoples computers, I found that the most cost effective method was to upgrade the CPU with the motherboard and RAM. Then the old motherboard, RAM, and CPU, could be sold as a package, or used to build/upgrade another computer, much easier. Only replacing the CPU often leads to having spare, unused CPUs kicking around gathering dust.

Therefore, I've never been particularly swayed by the upgradability of any particular socket or chipset. There's always things like faster RAM, faster PCIe, etc, to take into account.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 9:22 AM, CommunityTeam said:

EDIT made on 2/14/22

We received reports of players experiencing issues with Ryzen processors after the initial fix went out. The below Launcher Repair link has been updated to fix the issues players were experiencing with Alder Lake and Ryzen. Please follow the steps as they are listed.

Thank you for patience as we investigated the reports that came in and tested the fix for it.

Original message

Hi folks,

Community Team

So here we are in 2023 and the problem is still here.  I got a new system, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700F, 2100 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s).  Installed and updated the game to 7.2b and of course the it is not working.  I am running it as stand alone app (not off Steam) as I have always did on my last two older PC from the days of Beta.

Tried the launcher repair utility, downloaded and installed it in the proper folder as indicated.  Now every time I start the app, the launcher hangs for about 40 seconds "updating". After logging in, clicking play cause the app to crash and auto quit and an error message  pops up:

The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_38.dll was not found. 

I cannot believe that there is still no solution to the problem after all this time.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, fendall said:

So here we are in 2023 and the problem is still here.  I got a new system, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700F, 2100 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s).  Installed and updated the game to 7.2b and of course the it is not working.  I am running it as stand alone app (not off Steam) as I have always did on my last two older PC from the days of Beta.

Tried the launcher repair utility, downloaded and installed it in the proper folder as indicated.  Now every time I start the app, the launcher hangs for about 40 seconds "updating". After logging in, clicking play cause the app to crash and auto quit and an error message  pops up:

The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_38.dll was not found. 

I cannot believe that there is still no solution to the problem after all this time.

Looks like youre missing some dx9 files, install Directx9 from microsoft official site to fix this error message.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=8109

• Thanks 1

I reinstalled the game. Downloaded the launcher repair utility tool and placed it in the proper directory.   And now when clicking on play, the launcher window just stays open and nothing happens.  Game does not launch.  And there is no missing dll notice, by the way like before.

Running Windows 11, Version    10.0.22621 Build 22621

15 hours ago, fendall said:

I reinstalled the game. Downloaded the launcher repair utility tool and placed it in the proper directory.   And now when clicking on play, the launcher window just stays open and nothing happens.  Game does not launch.  And there is no missing dll notice, by the way like before.

Running Windows 11, Version    10.0.22621 Build 22621

Did you do what @Oaqe suggested?