50% Aim 50% Cunning as Marksman

So...let's talk stats:

For a Marksman, pretty much every Attack is range damage (except for Orbital Strike and Granate, which are useless in PvE and just anti-tap skills for PvP)

Cunning gives the exact same amount of damage and krit as aim for range bonus damage. (This is important to know)

Both Cunning and Aim give pretty much 0,2 bonus damage per point, no matter how much you got.

BUT the more Cunning or Aim you have, the less krit do you get from this stat (With 4k mainstat this is ~3% Krit)

If you build a Sniper/Revo with 2k Aim and 2k Cunning instead, you will get the EXACT SAME Amount of Bonus Damage on range skills AND ~ 6% Krit in total.

This means: By going for both, aim & cunning with a 50/50 rate, you will gain MORE krit then simply stacking your Mainstat.

Summary: 50% Aim + 50% Cunning on Marksman gives ~ 2-3% more krit with the same bonus damage.

I'm just writing this because there seems to be an awful lot of people walking around not knowing about this.

REMEMBER: This works only for Marksman Revo/Sniper , every other build uses tech attacks, which work different.

Sincerly,

a fellow Sniper/Revo :)

Edited by Volumenintegral

So...let's talk stats:

For a Marksman, pretty much every Attack is range damage (except for Orbital Strike and Granate, which are useless in PvE and just anti-tap skills for PvP)

Cunning gives the exact same amount of damage and krit as aim for range bonus damage. (This is important to know)

Both Cunning and Aim give pretty much 0,2 bonus damage per point, no matter how much you got.

BUT the more Cunning or Aim you have, the less krit do you get from this stat (With 4k mainstat this is ~3% Krit)

If you build a Sniper/Revo with 2k Aim and 2k Cunning instead, you will get the EXACT SAME Amount of Bonus Damage on range skills AND ~ 6% Krit in total.

This means: By going for both, aim & cunning with a 50/50 rate, you will gain MORE krit then simply stacking your Mainstat.

Summary: 50% Aim + 50% Cunning on Marksman gives ~ 2-3% more krit with the same bonus damage.

I'm just writing this because there seems to be an awful lot of people walking around not knowing about this.

REMEMBER: This works only for Marksman Revo/Sniper , every other build uses tech attacks, which work different.

Sincerly,

a fellow Sniper/Revo :)

Interesting idea, but looks legit and sounds like you also tested it already. It's sad there is simply no other class that could use the same method since noone else uses this much white attacks (except Carnage mara but it wouldnt worth for it to stack Willpower, it would be counterproductive)

Just a note about this, you do lose one stat for swapping out a ton of Cunning in return for the extra ranged crit chance, bonus healing, which in turn reduces your shield probe effectiveness. To what extent, I don't know for sure. But it's something I noticed when I decided to try out swapping a Cunning implant for an Aim one today.

For PvE parsing this has to be the way to go, though.

Edited by OMGITSJAD

And I always wondered whether it would make any sense to get some aim modifications, too ...

But all people called me "crazy" and harassed me to NEVER do that ...

I always wondered if Strength has a similar effect for willpower based companions ... Kira, for example, has Willpower as the main stat, but she uses her weapon quite a lot ...

What I also wondered is whether it depends on the weapon type itself ? I mean tech staff vs. double-lightsabre ... ?

Correction, you will gain about 1% more crit, not 2-3%. All you have to do to test it is strip your gear if you already have about 4k mainstat, and see how much 2k is worth. 4k is about +9% crit chance, 2k is about +5% crit chance. Which means going 2k and 2k will get you +10% instead of +9%, tank your corrosive dart damage (which I have not checked in a while but I'm pretty sure it counts for more than 1% of your damage in the average marksman parse), and ruin your damage in Engineering and Virulence.

At best you might consider it in PvP, if you never want to play the other 2 specs, and you want to try to squeeze out a very, very tiny advantage.

Correction, you will gain about 1% more crit, not 2-3%. All you have to do to test it is strip your gear if you already have about 4k mainstat, and see how much 2k is worth. 4k is about +9% crit chance, 2k is about +5% crit chance. Which means going 2k and 2k will get you +10% instead of +9%, tank your corrosive dart damage (which I have not checked in a while but I'm pretty sure it counts for more than 1% of your damage in the average marksman parse), and ruin your damage in Engineering and Virulence.

Ah, 1% crit chance is definitely not worth the lowering of corrosive dart effectiveness to that extent. If it was something like 3%+ extra ranged crit, maybe, cause your other harder hitting skills critting more would possibly make up for it, but 1% is pitiful.

At best you might consider it in PvP, if you never want to play the other 2 specs, and you want to try to squeeze out a very, very tiny advantage.

Corrosive Dart is about 5% to 7% of total damage according to the three top Marksman/Sharpshooter dummy parses.

However, we also have to consider how much more our white damage crits (Followthrough, Ambush, etc.) would boost our DPS compared to Corrosive Dart crits. Each regular Corrosive Dart tick is about 854, a crit is 1419. Ambush hits for 7081 regularly and for 14531 on a crit. The larger the normal damage of the attack, the more a crit would contribute to DPS. I'm not dedicated enough to math that out right now, but maybe someone else can take a crack at it.

Edited by Gardimuer

It's still bad in PvP because like someone already pointed out on the first page, you lose a lot of your absorption on Shield Probe, making an already squishy class even squishier for a minute amount of dps gain.

I don't play a sniper/slinger in PvE, but...you're losing damage on Corrsive Dart AND Orbital Strike, which probably isn't balanced out by the 1.5% crit increase and ensures you can't play Virulence for most fights.

Edited by Aetrus

It's still bad in PvP because like someone already pointed out on the first page, you lose a lot of your absorption on Shield Probe, making an already squishy class even squishier for a minute amount of dps gain.

I don't play a sniper/slinger in PvE, but...you're losing damage on Corrsive Dart AND Orbital Strike, which probably isn't balanced out by the 1.5% crit increase and ensures you can't play Virulence for most fights.

The op said this is only for Marksman/Sharpshooter, so Orbital Strike isn't a concern. But yeah, gearing this way would mean you can't switch to Virulence/Engineering for bosses where those specs do more damage.

The op said this is only for Marksman/Sharpshooter, so Orbital Strike isn't a concern. But yeah, gearing this way would mean you can't switch to Virulence/Engineering for bosses where those specs do more damage.

How is Orbital Strike not a concern when you use it as your opener on every boss regardless of what spec you're in?

I don't know about pve but I have been running it in pvp for weeks with no noticable draw backs, and a dps increase stemming from the fact that I can augment full power without sacrificing any crit

You're confirming your own bias if you think you can see a dps increase on a pvp scoreboard.

It would be a trivial amount that no one without a parser, a dummy and an incredibly consistent rotation would see. Realistically it would be lost in the RNG.

How is Orbital Strike not a concern when you use it as your opener on every boss regardless of what spec you're in?

Orbital strike < 1% of total damage (0.8% to be precise) in a Marksman parse on a dummy. In a boss fight (for instance, Sword Squadron) the % is even lower (0.7%). That is negligible compared to every other thing in the Marksman rotation. In fact, a few of the top Marksman boss parses don't even bother using Orbital Strike (example)

You're confirming your own bias if you think you can see a dps increase on a pvp scoreboard.

It would be a trivial amount that no one without a parser, a dummy and an incredibly consistent rotation would see. Realistically it would be lost in the RNG.

Nop, I play on average 9 hours a day doing nothing but pvp Half of the week, when I say I see a dps increase it comes from knowing my own avrages. Might be wrong but it's not as small a difference as you make it out to be 1.4% crit and around 40 bonus damage more than my previous build. If you have not tried it don't talk out of your ***. Admittedly it may be perception biased but I see my regular warzone dps increase anywhere from 40-100 dps from my norm.

Nop, I play on average 9 hours a day doing nothing but pvp Half of the week, when I say I see a dps increase it comes from knowing my own avrages. Might be wrong but it's not as small a difference as you make it out to be 1.4% crit and around 40 bonus damage more than my previous build. If you have not tried it don't talk out of your ***. Admittedly it may be perception biased but I see my regular warzone dps increase anywhere from 40-100 dps from my norm.

1.4% crit would be the increase from cunning swapped to aim.

40 bonus power from where? That doesn't come from swapping cunning to aim. If you swapped out crit mods for power you'd be lowering your crit so it wouldn't be 1.4% crit increase. The only explanation is you were not BIS before and gained some stats.

Swapping from crit to power is not a dps increase. It can be a burst increase but not dps.

And my position is as someone who can regularly turn up to a operation dummy with 1 or 1.5m health, kill it and know that the best and worst parses will be around 400dps apart.

As such I do say that any increase from cunning to aim is trivial and not visible especially in the extra-RNG world of PVP.

Edited by Gyronamics

Swapping out the mods from cunning to aim, to get 50% and 50% with an overall crit increase anyway which leaves me free to swap out my augments from Main stat to power and STILL have an increase In crit chance compared to my previous set up with the added bonus damage of the power augments ver main stat it's a double minor increase which results in a noticeable increase. Like I said try it before you assume that it would be as minor as you claim, the added power has a consistent noticeable increase in our 2 rotational autocrit ambushes as well as in the high crit chance pen blasts an the small added crit chance is rarely noticeable but can be seen in a slight increase in sustained dps

Ps I mean it's still a minor increase lol, but for min maxing purposes, it's worth it and the returns will be at the very least noticeable is what I'm getting at :p

Edited by Zabrak