GSF Program Crash

MasterAtin

I'm a frequent player of GSF and about 1 out of every 5 matches, the entire game crashes. I'm not sure what may be causing the problem, but the crash only happens mid-flight in GSF. Sometimes at the start of the match, other times when I've racked up the medals and kills. Nevertheless, the only symptom that allows me to tell if it's going to crash is that the game freezes or becomes choppy for maybe a second or two. Then almost immediately following that, the game crashes to desktop. No problem in logging back on or queuing and playing GSF.

Is anyone else having this issue? It'd be great to hear any possible fixes or ways to determine what may have caused that crash.

I have had something similar happen a couple times. Well at least once that I know of (today) - After a GSF match I hit Exit Match and the game promptly closed to desktop. No lag or any other indication of a problem. Logged right back in and didn't see it again.

I sent a ticket in, might be something to do with the new patch.

Edited by DamascusAdontise

The first thing to try is rebooting the computer, because that magically solves so many problems. Would recommend doing a hard shutdown and leaving it off for 30 seconds or so instead of doing the quick restart your operating system provides.

If that doesn't fix it, try looking into your CPU and RAM status, since those are pretty much the only things you have some measure of control over.

Open the task manager (windows: ctrl-shift-esc, looks something like this; mac: buried somewhere in accessories or some such) and take a look at how much memory/CPU is in use. Ideally, you'll want to do this mid-match (open the task manager to the Performance or Memory tab, load up the game, enter a match, and tab over while you're waiting to respawn or something).

If you see spikes on either graph, let us know. As an example, you can see I was using a lot of RAM (on the bottom) until I closed a program. You can also see (in the second box on the top) that my CPU usage spikes moderately high for a short time. We're looking for similar kinds of things on your end, possibly bigger spikes or for longer.

If you know how, it's worth checking your CPU and GPU temperatures as well (and GPU VRAM usage, too). If you don't, don't worry about it.

Of course, from there, we're not sure if it's better to find that the problem is on your end, or that the problem is something the devs need to look into.

The first thing to try is rebooting the computer, because that magically solves so many problems. Would recommend doing a hard shutdown and leaving it off for 30 seconds or so instead of doing the quick restart your operating system provides.

If that doesn't fix it, try looking into your CPU and RAM status, since those are pretty much the only things you have some measure of control over.

Open the task manager (windows: ctrl-shift-esc, looks something like this; mac: buried somewhere in accessories or some such) and take a look at how much memory/CPU is in use. Ideally, you'll want to do this mid-match (open the task manager to the Performance or Memory tab, load up the game, enter a match, and tab over while you're waiting to respawn or something).

If you see spikes on either graph, let us know. As an example, you can see I was using a lot of RAM (on the bottom) until I closed a program. You can also see (in the second box on the top) that my CPU usage spikes moderately high for a short time. We're looking for similar kinds of things on your end, possibly bigger spikes or for longer.

If you know how, it's worth checking your CPU and GPU temperatures as well (and GPU VRAM usage, too). If you don't, don't worry about it.

Of course, from there, we're not sure if it's better to find that the problem is on your end, or that the problem is something the devs need to look into.

To add to this, do a memory test. You might have a stick of ram on the way out.

I had heat issues at one point, when I was overheating the computer would fully shut off (under a high load like when playing GSF) for me at least this is different. Everything is nominal (memory, heat, drivers, etc)

This appears to just close the program with no error message, and is at least for me a very new behavior (like since 2.7)

(happened only once for me out of maybe 50 matches since patch)

Edited by DamascusAdontise

• 1 year later...
After match is over and I click " Exit battle", I often get thrown to character selection. Once returning to game on ANY character after this, it still thinks I am either in a match, or in a queue. the GSF icon by minimap blinks. I'm not actually in Q tho, games won't pop and I can't re-q. Only gets fixed by relogging once more in normal way. Happens like 1/10 fights. Seems to be oddly periodical, so maybe server related. It has always been about as frequent, nothing special to report of late. Edited by Stradlin

I have had no more or less game/server crashes than normal really. A week ago or so, my family and I just could not stay connected AT ALL on Harbinger, we weren't even flying. Two were doing pve stuff and I was sitting on fleet. I went to a few other servers to test the issue and it ONLY happened on Harbinger, the other servers were fine.

Other times I have DCed more than once in a given day, I've just restarted my computer and that's usually fixed the issue.