trooper crew skills?

Lakiller

Cybertech, scavenging, underworld trading.

I'd reccomend that for everybody's first character, useful and profitable. You ready got 1 character but it's good to get access to all the mods and armorings.

Edited by Kerensk

Cybertech, scavenging, underworld trading.

I'd reccomend that for everybody's first character, useful and profitable. You ready got 1 character but it's good to get access to all the mods and armorings.

Since you don't want to craft gear, then this ^ ... If it wasn't for your stated aversion to crafting gear (something I'm personally a huge fan of since prototype quality schematics are easy to learn and much better than most mission rewards and usually slightly better than even modded gear filled with commendation mods), then I'd suggest Armormech. Especially for trooper since you, and 4/5 of your companions will all use Heavy +Aim gear.

But I digress, just wanted to throw my two cents in supporting the cybertech route. The only other suggestion I would have would be armstech, since every mod except barrels/hilts are easy to obtain with commendations. Most of the commendation hilts/barrels though are epic fail. But, as far as I know (don't quote me on this) armstech has little to no real use/demand come end game when compared to cybertech.

Cybertech is by no means a bad go, however let me offer an alternative. If you're going to do armormech AT ALL, by far the character to do it on is trooper, imo. There are 3 main reasons:

1. Tanno Vik boasts the only +5 crit to armormech in the game, wheras the only way to obtain +5 crit to cybertech is through the purchasable sensor for your ship droid, this making it potentially available to ANY class. MX-6 (or whatever your tanking droid companion is named when you're a trooper) has +5 crit to scavenging, which is equally useful for both armormech crafting and cybertech, since presumably you'd be taking scavenging either way.

2. ALL of a troopers companions have AIM as their primary stat. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the only class in the game where all of one's comps (or even close really) all share the same primary stat. What this means is that while going to the effort to RE and craft up to purple level armors while leveling is arguably wasteful for any other class since only yourself and maybe one other companion can use them, this isn't the case when a trooper takes armormech. It's more worthwhile to spend the time and materials needed to learn a purple recipe if you're going to be making not just one for yourself, but yourself and all your companions save one (the tanking droid obviously takes droid parts)

3. Armormech helps you stay current/improve more gear slots than any other crafting skill in the game BY FAR. While each of the others helps with one or two, armormech helps with half a dozen. On a trooper, again this isn't just half a dozen slots for you, but each of your companions as well, save the previously mentioned droid.

For these reasons, I recommend going armormech on a trooper, especially if you're planning to put the time and energy into crafting to learn purple armor recipes. Oh and btw, when people tell you you can't sell any of those purple armors on the GTN because everyone just uses modable stuff, just smile and nod and then trust me and put a few up for sale at reasonable prices. When *everyone* knows it, it aint' necessarily so.

I'm going to second the Trooper Armormech plan.

Additionally, you'll be able to make Aim and Cunning augments (not to mention augment slot kits), which are very much in demand at endgame. If you want to get into augment crafting, you will want to roll an alt with Slicing; your best bet is with the Jedi Knight, Sith Inquisitor, or Imperial Agent, since they all have companions with a +2% Slicing critical chance. (Slicing, like the mission skills, rewards critical results quite well, as you need purple materials to make the best augments.)

totally agree with the people above with the armormech which is what i did with my commando.

i can make my own augments and kits which with this crew skill is by far the easiest/cheapest to do so. (kits that is) also you can sell these at end game for some credits too or even the scavenging/uwt mats if you choose not to craft.

Edited by uniz

so use these 3 together? armormech (with scavening and underworld trading)

lets say i have another char with undedrworld trading, could i drop UT on this char and pick up something else and if so what would u suggest

Edited by Lakiller

lets say i have another char with undedrworld trading, could i drop UT on this char and pick up something else and if so what would u suggest

I've actually written two guides that specifically go over these two things. A Best Crew Skill Guide and an Armormech Leveling Guide. I think both of these in combination will answer a lot of your questions.

If you don't need UT on this character, pick up Slicing. Provides mats for augments, and is a terrific moneymaker in the field. (See those nodes? Instead of harvesting materials you may or may not need, now you can harvest MONEY. Get a few companions up to high affection, have them run Slicing lockbox missions while you quest.)