New class needed for SWTOR

Lhancelot

There needs to be a melee healer class added. Something along the lines of a Warrior Priest or Disciple of Khaine from the old MMO WAR.

Playing that style of gameplay was probably the most fun I had on any one class in all my times of PVPing on MMOs. You could fully wade into melee range, yet had great AoE healing and HoTs.

You also had heals that resulted from your direct melee attacks, so you were always busy meleeing to maximize your healing potential. It really was quite fun.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be a melee healer class added. Something along the lines of a Warrior Priest or Disciple of Khaine from the old MMO WAR.

Playing that style of gameplay was probably the most fun I had on any one class in all my times of PVPing on MMOs. You could fully wade into melee range, yet had great AoE healing and HoTs.

You also had heals that resulted from your direct melee attacks, so you were always busy meleeing to maximize your healing potential. It really was quite fun.

If I may ask a question or so ..

Name of new class: ?

Do you have a basis for the lore or subject to be rooted in ? Just curious !

Would this new class be a completely new class? A hybrid ?

What sort of weapons would they use ? I understand Melee / healing .. but do you have some specifics in mind?

None of this is meant to be critical. I'm just hoping that perhaps that by asking questions that it might get some creative juices flowing .. and perhaps give us a better idea of where you would like to go with this idea.

Keep working on the idea .. and don't give up !

Here's why this request is going to fall flat, as it always does:

A new class actually requires creating the base class with its two advanced classes, plus mirrors for the other faction. Each advanced class needs 3 disciplines. This also requires two new core storylines, one for each faction.

The devs simply aren't going to invest the necessary resources in that. Ever.

A new class actually requires creating the base class with its two advanced classes, plus mirrors for the other faction. Each advanced class needs 3 disciplines. This also requires two new core storylines, one for each faction.

And minor adjustments for endgame content too.

But that's a pity, really. How marvelous it could be, a whole new story. Tons of content to refresh the players interest significantly. Pity, it's not the game that could afford this.

Actually ... I've taken the time to do that. And utilized a part of the game with established lore that has itself woven through out the game already.. My suggestion would be to add the new class post Iokath (or somewhere there about).

For the most part though I would like to have seen BW take the suggestion and make it their own work. They really are completely capable if they wanted to bad enough.

That said: I believe that in the end you are VERY correct. In the end it is highly unlikely that the resources needed to add a new class to the game will ever be spent on that sort of a project.

Kind of sad really. A new class added at this particular juncture could easily add more stories and much needed fresh content to the game. IMO.. that is a win-win for everyone !

But .. as you say. It's just not going to happen.

Instead of a new class, I'd be very happy with a removal of weapon restrictions. Force users can use any lightsaber and NFU's can use any ranged weapon.

That's kind of a part of what I was attempting: FSNFU: Force sensitive / non force user . Since I started that journey in developing that sort of character I was amazed as to how much of that lore is scattered through out the game ... even in FP's ! I did find a niche weapon that has not been used to a large degree .. although it is still based on technology that is used ... more of a higher speed/ tech application so to speak.

I'd also like to see any force user be able to use force leap. IMO that should be a more common application than a specific light saber application of sorts.

^This.

There is class-specific dialogue *everywhere*.

And new voice-actors.

And an actual 1-50 storyline. I'm sure they'll just pull that out of their butt. 2 new storylines if we're being precise, to mirror reps and imps. We've got 8 classes, that's all we're getting.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a new class. Let's spitball a melee healer as you say [the other specs giving him selfish heals or vampiric powerups], storyline is a Jedi/Sith academy dropout, secondary class is a ranged fighter who can use any weapon except lightsabers. A class that is a 'challenge mode' for the regular storyline, someone who isn't one of the eight most powerful schmucks in the galaxy but manages to complete the same content anyway. The story has him/her getting booted from their respective faction training for being a bad and having to make their own way through the galaxy, eventually earning the grudging respect of their original faction, or DS, joining the other side as a real Sith/Jedi [or neutral, telling both sides to piss off]. It would work well with the saboteur / loyalist storyline.

I will say they already have a template for another class (1-50) however EA pushed the deadline and it got cut since it wasn't finished. It was a gray jedi story line for both pub and imp side. So they could always finish that since they wouldn't have to start from scratch. However there is still the issue of voice actors unless everyone was cool with subtitles. One thing that may help with this is they would rather produce more content than update the engine (which is a mistake probably in the long run). I don't remember what stream that was but not sure what fan of the game wouldn't want a better engine since that will improve the quality of the game and any future content

If I may ask a question or so ..

Name of new class: ?

Do you have a basis for the lore or subject to be rooted in ? Just curious !

Would this new class be a completely new class? A hybrid ?

What sort of weapons would they use ? I understand Melee / healing .. but do you have some specifics in mind?

Keep working on the idea .. and don't give up !

I think the class ought to be force sensitive, and for Imperials it could be called "Revanite" and for the Republic the class could be called "Revanite" seeing Revan was both Sith and Jedi at one time. The sub classes could be "Zealot," "Shaman," and "Priest."

This class would have a shamanistic motif, using 2h melee weapons or 1h dual wielded weapons, whatever the player preferred which would be required for their special melee-heals.

This heal class would have special heals which heal on damage (when the Revanite or a friend with the heal on them is attacked) as well as heals that proc as the Revanite lands blows on his enemies. The class would have decent AoE healing capability, too.

They would wear medium armors, typically look like dirty vagabond zealots with layers of clothing on.

The point of this class would be to allow players a chance to play a class that is a primary healer yet is capable of wading into combat and taking hits, with it's heal on contact type healing.

Anyway, I just think a wild-like shamanistic zealot-type class would be neat plus a melee-healing playstyle like the DoK or WP from WAR would be tons of fun. These two classes really were enjoyable to play!

There's no reason it would have to be an entirely new class.

It could easily be an added sub-class to one of the other classes.

Heck, this idea could even be just a single added discipline (though I like the idea of a new sub-class better).

For example, within the Sith Warrior Class, we already have the Juggernaut (DPS and Tank) and Marauder (DPS only). The OP's idea would fit nicely as either

A. a new sub-class called the Intimidator or Terror,

B. a new Mara healing discipline

Personally, I think adding 4 new sub-classes or disciplines is the way to go.

Warriors would get a melee healer

Inquisitors would have a pet-based (abilities only, not a companion) tank/dps.

BHs would get a turret dps class

Agents would get a hybrid controller/tank with delayed damage abilities and AoE pulls/stuns.

Edited by sharkfishman

Another cool idea for a BH would be a battle armor class, where you have certain abilities normally and others only when you summon your battle armor. Both parts would have advantages and disadvantages, such as increased/decreased defensive capabilities and movement speed, alacrity, etc.

This has got to be the most ridiculous request ever.

What you want, isn't swtor. What you want can be asked the same way to every other mmo out there cause the one you want, warhammer, isn't around anymore. Get over it.

SWTOR isn't Warhammer 2 nor is it Star wars galaxies 2, nor is it supposed or has any obligation to be. You people have to get over yourselves.

Edited by Nemmar

This has got to be the most ridiculous request ever.

What you want, isn't swtor. What you want can be asked the same way to every other mmo out there cause the one you want, warhammer, isn't around anymore. Get over it.

SWTOR isn't Warhammer 2 nor is it Star wars galaxies 2, nor is it supposed or has any obligation to be. You people have to get over yourselves.

What does this even mean? ^

I think you posted on the wrong thread, m8. :o

at first I was going to chime in "isn't this what the DPS spec of scoundrel/Op are supposed to be" but then saw you wanted to be a force user.

IMO the least resource intensive way to get this done is to get rid of one of the Sent/Mara builds since its the only pure DPS AC in the game. That way you don't have you re-do the game. You could bring in existing skills/animations from Sage/Sorcs, All the dialogues would remain the same. easy peasy

at first I was going to chime in "isn't this what the DPS spec of scoundrel/Op are supposed to be" but then saw you wanted to be a force user.

IMO the least resource intensive way to get this done is to get rid of one of the Sent/Mara builds since its the only pure DPS AC in the game. That way you don't have you re-do the game. You could bring in existing skills/animations from Sage/Sorcs, All the dialogues would remain the same. easy peasy

Well, the main thing is adding a class that has a melee/healing mechanic involved... Literally the melee hits would create healing effects on the player or someone they wanted the heals to go to.

I see your point though, it would be much easier to create a subclass with new abilities than it would be adding a totally new class to the game, and with this idea I think it's actually possible to do. Good point!

I want there to be a melee healer class added.

Fixed that for ya.

As others said. It's not going to happen. This game has been around for 8 years and has had a number of expansions without any new classes added. Whatever they would add would take a lot of work but also would've to be agreed with Lucasarts.

I suppose they could sell it separately starting at level 50 without a class story. Just not sure how well that would be received. Subs would have to get a free unlock for both the rep and imp side of course. I dunno, I also just don't see it happen.

Well, the main thing is adding a class that has a melee/healing mechanic involved... Literally the melee hits would create healing effects on the player or someone they wanted the heals to go to.

I see your point though, it would be much easier to create a subclass with new abilities than it would be adding a totally new class to the game, and with this idea I think it's actually possible to do. Good point!

Looks like you are well under way !! Nicely done..

OH ! Something else to think about... IF your suggestion were to come to life (trust me I know the risk ) .. the new class could possibly initiated post Iokath if needed (or somewhere there about) ... and it would not affect the previous part of the game.

Just a thought!

Looks like you are well under way !! Nicely done..

OH ! Something else to think about... IF your suggestion were to come to life (trust me I know the risk ) .. the new class could possibly initiated post Iokath if needed (or somewhere there about) ... and it would not affect the previous part of the game.

Just a thought!

Sure, there are many ways they could add a new class or even sub class to the game. I'd leave that up to the brain turst at BW to really sort out the lore and how they incorporate the new class into the game. Nothing is impossible.