[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

DieGhostDie

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, theory crafters show high alacrity (580+) would perform best on average. Check out the recommended numbers (in 198 gear).

Beware though: Alacrity builds may theoretically be good for dummy parsing and bosses with zero DPS downtime. For everything else don't go more than one alacrity enhancement (maybe two in some specs). That way you're good to go for every fight, not just Bulo and Malaphar :-)

I can't tell you the percentages in 192, but assuming you only use good (unlettered) mods and good enhancements (with low endurance and high secondary stat, i.e. token enhancements), here's what you should aim for:

Secondary Stats (crit vs. power): 230-250 crit, rest power

Tertiary Stats:

7 slots of accuracy

1 slot of alacrity

2 slots of surge

(the ten slots for tertiary stats are: 1 earpiece, 2 implants, 1 enhancement each in helmet, jacket, gloves, trousers, shoes, mainhand, offhand).

This tertiary stat distribution is btw a very good starting point for ALL dps specs in the game. Only level of crit varys. So you could basically simplify dps gearing in that respect *hinthint* ;-)

In 198 you push Crit to 250 and drop one slot of accuracy in favour of surge, so you have:

6 slots of accuracy

1 slot of alacrity

3 slots of surge

In order to push accuracy to the required level you use on accuracy augment instead of mainstat/power.

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

Beware though: Alacrity builds may theoretically be good for dummy parsing and bosses with zero DPS downtime. For everything else don't go more than one alacrity enhancement (maybe two in some specs). That way you're good to go for every fight, not just Bulo and Malaphar :-)

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Alacrity is bad for fights with downtime. I've seen some good discussion pointing out why Alacrity is actually more useful during downtime than Surge is.

Edited by Gardimuer

I'm not sure where people get the idea that Alacrity is bad for fights with downtime. I've seen some good discussion pointing out why Alacrity is actually more useful during downtime than Surge is.

Alacrity is only bad if you cannot keep up with your GCDs, meaning, that if you aren't pushing the correct abilities as soon as the GCD comes up, you are losing the benefit of the Alacrity, therefore, losing DPS. Downtime is different, however. If a mechanic interrupts people from DPSing, (ex. Say Operator IX), then using Alacrity over power/MS/surge wouldn't be a loss of DPS, since the people with extra stats in these categories can't do DPS anyways. However, for bursty fights, you'd most likely want to run with less alacrity because if you cannot get more GCDs in (proportionally) than the DPS are without Alacrity, then you are wasting stats.

A good example in relevant content would be the Add phases in Underlurker. If you are aiming PRIMARILY to make sure the adds die quick enough, then higher Alacrity wouldn't be able to help you there since they simply die way too fast for you to kick in an extra GCD, however, it would be beneficial to use for the boss himself, assuming that you are hitting buttons on the GCD.

Sry I've been simplifying this. Alacrity is bad if your dots are ticking during downtime and downtime is longer than your dots tick, i.e. you can't reapply early enough. In that case you want you dots to be as strong as possible. But that's clearly from someone who mains a dot spec with short and medium dots and thus not as relevant here... Edited by Ardarell_Solo

Alacrity is only bad if you cannot keep up with your GCDs, meaning, that if you aren't pushing the correct abilities as soon as the GCD comes up, you are losing the benefit of the Alacrity, therefore, losing DPS. Downtime is different, however. If a mechanic interrupts people from DPSing, (ex. Say Operator IX), then using Alacrity over power/MS/surge wouldn't be a loss of DPS, since the people with extra stats in these categories can't do DPS anyways. However, for bursty fights, you'd most likely want to run with less alacrity because if you cannot get more GCDs in (proportionally) than the DPS are without Alacrity, then you are wasting stats.

A good example in relevant content would be the Add phases in Underlurker. If you are aiming PRIMARILY to make sure the adds die quick enough, then higher Alacrity wouldn't be able to help you there since they simply die way too fast for you to kick in an extra GCD, however, it would be beneficial to use for the boss himself, assuming that you are hitting buttons on the GCD.

I'd argue that Alacrity is great for Underlurker adds since it means we get in more ticks of Suppressive Fire, making them die faster, and therefore giving more uptime on the boss before Rage Storm. It also means we can burst harder because the Alacrity will make energy regen faster while hiding behind the rocks.

I'd argue that Alacrity is great for Underlurker adds since it means we get in more ticks of Suppressive Fire, making them die faster, and therefore giving more uptime on the boss before Rage Storm. It also means we can burst harder because the Alacrity will make energy regen faster while hiding behind the rocks.

It just depends on how long the adds are up. I don't really want to do math, but to setup a basic equation here, you need to use X amount of GCDs with Y% (higher) alacrity in order to achieve a number greater than or equal to 1:

Z (Number of extra GCDs with Higher Alacrity) = X (GCDs) * Y (GCD Time reduced by Alacrity) - X (GCDs) * A (GCD time reduced with lower or no alacrity)

Ok I lied, I'll do some quick easy math because I'm a little more curious about it myself. I'll just use easy numbers. Let's say someone has 10% Alacrity in one build, and 2% in the other. We know that a GCD lasts 1.5 seconds. So GCD time reduced for each is .15 and .03 respectively. And I'm just winging it here, but for the sake of lazyness, let's just say that each Add phase on Underlurker is 10 GCDs long, or 15 seconds long. So let's do some math.

10 GCDs * .15 seconds - 10 * .03 = 1.5 - .3 = 1.2 GCDs gained by 10% alacrity from 2%.

So in actuality, people don't typically run with more than 8, so you'll get most of an extra Sweeping Gunfire off before the last group of adds die. Eh, so I was wrong. w/e. Math. So for

Sweeping Gunfire spam, yes, just spam the **** out of it. You'll get like 3 - 5 ticks extra with more alacrity. Plus like you said, it'll help with energy recovery behind the rocks.

*Feels proud to prove myself wrong using logic*

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...