Guild advertising

RogueHound

So I get 1 hour a day to play, maybe I don't want to spend hours a day looking through the web to find a guild that is A) on my server B) suits my social play style C) a good guild, they all claim to be good! and lastly guild recruitment spamming is filling up the world general chat channel as thats the only place they can put it, forcing EVERYBODY to look at it which is clearly annoying a lot of people.

Small guilds will always spam chat channels, at least they would have somewhere they could put it

Disagree a small guild will not always spam chat channels. I am a guild leader of a small guild and we never spam chat channels. For one, we have rules set up that everyone has to agree to if they want to join and two we are a roleplaying guild and the ones that join our guild has to be able to accept that we roleplay and show that they are respectable to the members in the guild and outside the guild.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I am currently guild hunting right now, and I think a guild recruitment/advertisement/discussion channel would be an excellent idea! Maybe a guild notice board where people can put up a little "brochure" of their guild, their values, ideas, requirements to join, and maybe it can be updated with upcoming events and the like.

That's kinda what the Guild area of the SWTOR forums is...

Paige

So far the answer has been use forums and don't use chat channels in game.

I have used the forums and on the busiest EU server Tomb of freedon Nadd there are 52 adverts for guilds. Basically half are not rep, and most are looking for hardcore pvpers. I am a social gamer who drops in every night for 1 hour. I am having trouble locating a guild I will fit into yet I am being told I am not looking hard enough because good guilds don't need to avertise!

It seems the people who are in guilds and are happy are the ones saying there is no problem. Well a few people on this thread are saying there is a problem.

Why is a sepaerate chat channel with guild recruitment seen as such a bad thing? It will stop world chat being filled with guild recruitment chat and give the people looking for a guild somewhere to look WHILE PLAYING. If you dont want to look at this channel TURN IT OFF (if it was created of course)

This thread has disappointed me.

I completely agree. Why anyone would want complete strangers in their guild or want to join a guild that takes any old schmoe (we welcome all levels and all playstyles!) is beyond me. However there are many people who are like that. C'est la vie.

This is probably why my guild has remained small. :D

I dont understand either how one would join a random guild based on a general ad spam (yes there can sometimes be excessive advertising on the chat that I consider spam) or why a guild would want random people joining.

For me it worked perfectly to run some heroics with same people (first by accident that we ended up in same heroics) and then soon they asked me to join the same guild they just had joined themselves. Same minded, funny people :) I dont see why it wouldnt work for others too.

I would also not invite just anyone to the guild that I happen to do runs with, there has to be 'something' there and of course there's the class population at stake too. Like we have quite a lot of juggs and assasins so I might think twice with these classes. Of course sometimes the personality is a killer and you just gotta have 'em :D

I just think guild membership is important. I truly feel that guilds are absolutely imperative for MMO's-- and a fantastic guild is separated from a good guild by it's members-- and those are directly chosen by the leadership of said guild.

There's just no way my husband and I would want every tom, dick and harry to be part of our guild family. It's just too important to the guilds success.

I just think guild membership is important. I truly feel that guilds are absolutely imperative for MMO's-- and a fantastic guild is separated from a good guild by it's members-- and those are directly chosen by the leadership of said guild.

There's just no way my husband and I would want every tom, dick and harry to be part of our guild family. It's just too important to the guilds success.

Totally agree however, for a guild that is completely starting from scratch without the luxury of having RL friends play the same game, you have to take a chance on the members you invite since you don't know anybody. From there you can establish a friendship between the guild members and yourself.

They do not seem to care about the community in this game. Server forums would have been nice for guilds. Their grouping of the servers was another fail in a long list of fails.

This. Community seems to go against that Bioware has envisions for this game. This is one of the main reasons that server forums are needed. Instead they gave us those stupid cluster forums that are impossible to follow. I have no idea how they can expect an anti-community MMO to thrive. As I've suggested before; why not just number the servers and have us log into a different one every night like Battlefield. That seems to be what they are shooting for.

real good guilds dont need to find players... good and willing players will make an effort in finding them, by either contacting members, or searching for the guilds website.

The better guilds dont want 'guildhoppers'.

lol...

LMAO , Check your forum signature out, 'Come join your gaming family' and I quote your recruitment page!

'Recruitment is currently open to all classes/specs. We do ask that anyone wishing to join our guild be active folks willing to organize and/or run HM’s and Operations. BiC is extremely active in both PvE and the PvP circuit.

BiC’s ‘primetime’ is generally 7-10 central, Monday through Thursday and then on and off all weekend long.

Anyone interested in joining BiC should email nat@borninchaos.com, or you can feel free to send a /tell or in-game email to Nat.'

Yeah we don't let any Tom , dick or harry join yet we advertise to get them to apply??????

By this threads logic you are a bad guild for advertising.

Last night on the Imperial fleet on my server someone wrote out a nicely written guild advertisement in General chat. Immediately some people started bashing him for it, saying things like "guild recruitment doesn't belong in General" and calling his guild tacky. He didn't spam, and his message was concise and to the point. People even went as far as saying he should only be advertising on the server forums for a guild.

Exactly how do some people expect others to advertise their guild in-game?

Last night on the Imperial fleet on my server someone wrote out a nicely written guild advertisement in General chat. Immediately some people started bashing him for it, saying things like "guild recruitment doesn't belong in General" and calling his guild tacky. He didn't spam, and his message was concise and to the point. People even went as far as saying he should only be advertising on the server forums for a guild.

This is the exact thing I am afriad of when i start recruiting. I don't feel that anybody needs to be bashed for promoting their guild in general chat once an hour or every other hour. Especially if the guild is starting from scratch.

Agreed 100%

I honestly feel that until BW gives us an actual useful in-game resource for recruiting/looking for guilds, we're going to keep seeing people recruiting in general. Even a Guild Recruitment channel would be nice.

Just because a guild advertises in general does not mean they allow anyone in or want to be a zerg guild. We point people to our website, where they can get more info about what kind of guild we are and what we look for in members. We are selective. We want players to know we're recruiting, but at the same time we're not a zerg guild that invites anyone who comes along.

We also keep our ads to a bare minimum. I post in general maybe once an hour when I'm on and only on Fleet.