Sniper/GS improvements to consider

Tomokaze

Well if this thread's about obsurd ideas, let me pitch this one:

Orbital Strike is instant cast, applies all its damage in a single blow and is on a 45-second cooldown. Rework the first tier of the left tree to reduce the cooldown by 15/30/45 seconds. On the third point in the talent, the Sniper has the ability to transform into their ship when they cast Orbital Strike.

Edited by DacRycar

To our Sniper/Gunslinger representative at Bioware please consider the following improvements to sniper/GS gameplay (apologies if these are all old ideas):

1) If out-of-combat and entering cover, give us stealth (which breaks upon entering combat or leaving cover)

Real-world snipers are virtually undetectable when in position, and advanced snipers of the future shouldn't be different. Being able to get into position and wait for your target, actually playing like a sniper, would be a lot of fun. I may be blinded by my sniper goggles, but I don't see how this addition would be game-breaking either, since we could not move and maintain stealth, and it would go away upon entering combat (first shot fired or getting hit by AoE most likely).

*** OR ***

If PvP flag = true:

1) Disable brightly colored coverscreen with the 'I'm over here!" flashing lights. Would favor a transparent screen or none at all.

2) Disable the giant Ambush graphic that alerts your target its time to LOS you. (I know this one has been mentioned before, but it is a great idea.)

Thanks for reading!

I'll bite and answer this honestly as a former gunslinger. If you want a stealth opener as a sniper you would have to give up all cover providing you an ability to not be pulled and leapt to while in cover. As cover doesn't prevent a force user from leaping to location in any star wars lore I ever read. Cover is a mechanism to hide.

Because your a non-force user certain skills I use would be instant death to you. Force Choke. Force Lightning, Shock. Because I am a force user I get danger sense. So I should parry all your attacks as a dark lord jedi.

If you manage to get a shot on me you can do damage assuming I am not using the Vader absorb blaster fire with my hand trick on you.

If I hit you with my saber you should probably be dead.

I'd like snipers to feel more like snipers with a stealth opener. However, giving up cover's defense and then the ability to entrench would have to be considered to balance out the profession.

The snipe alert was introduced in beta as snipe was way to OP without it.

Edited by PlagaNerezza

Snipers/GS are fine, the only classes that are a bit off are PT/Vanguards. I can go full clip a whole match with an equally geared vanguard, and I will always be 100k less, that being said I do think we alot of our dmg isnt reported because our execute move hits so hard half of the time only 1/2 of the dmg is recorded. Also, there have been times i have hit (and not killed the player with the hit) players for 6K+ and i dont get credit for it at the end of the match so who knows what is getting recorded

Snipers/GS are fine, the only classes that are a bit off are PT/Vanguards. I can go full clip a whole match with an equally geared vanguard, and I will always be 100k less, that being said I do think we alot of our dmg isnt reported because our execute move hits so hard half of the time only 1/2 of the dmg is recorded. Also, there have been times i have hit (and not killed the player with the hit) players for 6K+ and i dont get credit for it at the end of the match so who knows what is getting recorded

Warzone scoreboard glitches do happen. A few months ago, when my brother used to play this game, I was watching him PVP one time in Voidstar. There was this low level player, think it was a level 13 or 14 sniper that my brother kept killing with his then level 21 assassin. During the course of the warzone, we saw that same sniper die at least 6 or 7 times, yet at the end of the warzone, on the scoreboard it recorded that he only had 3 deaths.

Only thing I'd suggest to be more "sniper" ish is that if you settle into cover (the free standing one not behind objects) and you don't move for say 5-6 global cool downs worth you turn invis. The moment you start to use any ability the invisibility breaks.

For Gunslingers they could enter an crate or object and then pop out the moment they start an attack in cover. Or if there is no object a suitable environment object.

Edited by Kusanami
added the Gunslinger adaption

An invisible guy lining up an invisible 4-5k crit 35m away that can't be charged/pulled and has an available 20sec CC immunity. Nope. Nothing game breaking about that.

lol i have a sniper and I agree with you!

ANY form of stealth puts this class so over the top OP its redonkulas!

Heck entrentched is possibly to big and advantage already on certain WZs

But in all seriousness, I think we should get stealth detection. I feel that stealthers are the only opponents I really have trouble with. Also, it helps to have stealth detection when you are guarding a turret alone. The other day I was guarding a turret when a scoundrel came up and clocked me, luckily I cc'd him and called incoming, and help arrived right before I was about to die. It would really be nice to have stealth detection and I feel we're a class that needs it.

Can I just get my cover screen in the same color as my rifle's color crystal?

Starting to get a little bored of the color I've had for it since level 10. (And I don't see anything game breaking about being able to change the color of it, lol)

That would be to cool.

I have an issue with a bug on my sniper more so then other classes. Where for no reason his attacks get glitched and don't do any damage whatsoever. Happens both in WZ's and FP's and open world. I think it's a bug related to cover.

All in all I think my sniper is right where he should be.

Really it's the only class I've got where I don't think there should be any changes one way or the other.

The upside/downside of the class ballances out just fine, and he can do his job.

Yeah, hiding behind a glowing screen isn't exactly "sniper-ish" but it is "Star Wars-ish" so it works.

I don't see any need for a stealth. I already consider existing stealth classes OP, to add a stealth to sniper would be 'undenyably OP'.

As a Sniper with valor 93 atm (started from april) i can only agree with many other critics here about this idea even though i really think something like this should have been in the game for a Sniper simply becaus it's a 'Sniper'.

Seeing Mara's/Senti's with their going into stealth in combat looks quite stupid to me knowing that a "Sniper" has no real stealth ability at all, but adding the suggested stealth ability to the way the Sniper currently works would simply make it very over powered and therefor shoundt be done.

However i do say that it should certainly be something to consider for the future, possibly in an expansion or so where the whole layout of classes get a change anyway and then they could blend some stealth ability in for the Sniper that wont make it overpowered.

True enough. I tear up snipers when I am on my Shadow, and still don't think they would pose much challenge if they got the first shot on node defense (since that is about the only time I can think of that a sniper could maintain the out-of-combat stealth cover and still be useful to their team). If there were two snipers sitting there however... ouchies.

Well my shadow does that as well ;). Still, if you don't initiate combat, as a shadow, prepare to get yourself obliterated. Because between my knock-backs, roots, and interrupts you'll die pretty fast :cool: (you may survive if you are fast enough retreating or have force cloak of CD). If you get the opening move and resilience at a proper time then, yes, I'm toasted.

An invisible guy lining up an invisible 4-5k crit 35m away that can't be charged/pulled and has an available 20sec CC immunity. Nope. Nothing game breaking about that.

Worked well in daoc, crit shot from stealth with ranger then vanish and repeat, but this feature should be high up in the skill tree with a squishier build!