And once again, Europe gets screwed over Maintainance times

Yoshiblade

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure somewhere the bioware execs are happily rubbing their hands together at how efficently they have yet again screwed over the europians....because it is completely illogical to think that there might be a problem loading the patch into the eu servers....

As this is and has been the norm since the very beginning why is:

A. Anyone suprised?

B. Actually taking the time to make a thread about this?

Fact - Most subscriptions come from the US. So in every single situation they will get priority. Better maintenance times, servers up and running quicker etc.

This will always be the case here.

For anyone who remembers UO many, many years ago - maintenance was run in those days at a "convenient" time for the local time zone. So it was 6:00am GMT when really tehre was nobody playing.

Meh. It happens.

Sure, it would have been nice to play this morning, but I had lots of other things to do too. Yes, it's a genuine shame when maintenance sees unexpected issues, but this is an online game and it's not an unusual thing to happen.

I'm not being an apologist here, especially as a UKer affected by this, but in the grand scheme of things, I can always play another game. Besides, I'd rather they take a bit more time now to ensure that the patch works properly rather than have to take it down on another day this week to fix unresolved issues.

I just hope that the patch really does fix all the issues the patch notes claim to fix, as we've had a lot of issues marked as fixed in the past that weren't actually fixed.

I'm sorry Jelly, but you misunderstood... Did anyone say it was on purpose? I'm pretty sure they don't decide to annoy their European costumers over the others, but it's a fact that our play time (which is paid for) is way more damaged than the others (US costumers in specific). Now, on top of that, seems like the effort is bigger on bringing the US servers up earlier. They could think like "okay, since it's morning/afternoon in Europe, let's focus on the european servers first, bring them up asap, and then go for the US servers while it's still night/early morning there". Do they? Apparently not. And that's my point.

As this is and has been the norm since the very beginning why is:

A. Anyone suprised?

B. Actually taking the time to make a thread about this?

Fact - Most subscriptions come from the US. So in every single situation they will get priority. Better maintenance times, servers up and running quicker etc.

This will always be the case here.

For anyone who remembers UO many, many years ago - maintenance was run in those days at a "convenient" time for the local time zone. So it was 6:00am GMT when really tehre was nobody playing.

Ok I don't care when downtime is, but I do take issue with you saying the americans should get preferential treatment. That's just nonsense, it's a global game. BW sold it to the world, not just the U.S. Every customer is as important as the next.

I remember not so long ago... Maintenance was weekly, or even more, and of course always at a time good for US players but annoying for Europeans (as is the case with most popular MMO's, because "hey, if Europeans are stoopid enough to accept a 1$=1euro rate, why shouldnt they also accept we take the servers down during their playtime?"), I made a ticket asking about maintenance windows (and a couple other things).

The CSR was so kind and so understanding he assured me it was a known issue and that, in the future, maintenance windows would be ajusted to timezones, so that everyone could benefit from the same great service, because Bioware does care about its playerbase, especially for Europeans, as they're the cradle of western civilisation and all.

Morale: never believe what a CSR tells you.

I'm sorry Jelly, but you misunderstood... Did anyone say it was on purpose? I'm pretty sure they don't decide to annoy their European costumers over the others, but it's a fact that our play time (which is paid for) is way more damaged than the others (US costumers in specific). Now, on top of that, seems like the effort is bigger on bringing the US servers up earlier. They could think like "okay, since it's morning/afternoon in Europe, let's focus on the european servers first, bring them up asap, and then go for the US servers while it's still night/early morning there". Do they? Apparently not. And that's my point.

Unless, of course, there was an unexpected failure with the European cluster, when they were bringing the servers up. Could be a load balancer went haywire, a database cluster didn't sync, an unexpected hardware failure. Things that are UNPLANNED.

So please, save the victim card for a more appropriate time. Its wasted on this. I'm certain they're trying to bring the European servers up, and aren't all off on a bender laughing about the servers being down.

Unless, of course, there was an unexpected failure with the European cluster, when they were bringing the servers up. Could be a load balancer went haywire, a database cluster didn't sync, an unexpected hardware failure. Things that are UNPLANNED.

So please, save the victim card for a more appropriate time. Its wasted on this. I'm certain they're trying to bring the European servers up, and aren't all off on a bender laughing about the servers being down.

Soooo True.. :D