Two Tiny (but real important) changes to GSF, please!

LordFell

One:

You can't do that when you're dead.

REALLY? How shocking that being DEAD would be a bar to using an ability!!! I am utterly perplexed by this concept! I would have thought I could do all sorts of things while dead! What an utter revelation this is! Thank you for explaining in such excellent detail why my barrel roll isn't working!

...no, seriously. Usually if I'm getting this error message, it's one of those instances where my reflexes were just a bit off, or maybe my usually manageable 60ms latency slipped up to 150ms; I was alive when I hit that button, and I'm maybe a little miffed that being blown up happened in the sequence of events before the ability which I most likely expected to save my butt. Telling me it didn't work because I'm dead is both unnecessary and more than a little tilting.

If you must even provide an error message (and, really, I don't think you do) how about "abilities disabled in hangar." Or, you know, something else that doesn't make me want to punch my screen.

Two:

Post match exit delay.

Why?

WHY?

...why is this a thing?

If I want to look at the score board, I'll look at the scoreboard. If I don't... disabling the exit button for whatever it is... 8 seconds... is what? WHY? WHY MUST YOU DO THIS????

...and, before you think too deeply on why this might have been a good idea at some point, virtually any answer to this question that defends this bit of stupid, deserves a Juggernaut backhand.

...I am aware that I can hit esc and manually leave the match. I shouldn't have to. And the fact that I can is yet another reason this is a pointless, unnecessary, and frequently aggravating bit of coding.

...guess who got lit up by premades last night? :o

Maybe the first one has something to do with how "death" works in GSF. Ever noticed that if you have to wait for the respawn that in the background you still see the spot where you died? Now did you ever died to an enemy missile sentry drone and had to wait for the respawn?

First while dead you get the missile warning and then you see the yellow beam of the missile sentry drone coming at you. That indicates that after game before respawn the game consider you to be at your point of death just unable to interact with anything. That an enemy missile sentry drone can be fooled by that is not really an argument for the missile sentry drone.

Is the back-filing the wrong team bug still a thing? There was a patch earlier this year which made it appear in both ground PVP and GSF. However as far as I know it was fixed later and the last time I saw this bug was definetly month ago.

However the other two are definetly an issue and I would like to see them fixed.

The end of match timer doesn't seem to be tied to anything happening in game, although it might be. Just because my fighter isn't under the effects of a condition, or affecting another plain with a condition, doesn't mean that I'm not "in combat" and that there isn't an effect out there on one of those ships that might be causing the timer.

...maybe a way around this, and maybe also fixing the lost cursor bug (which is rare, but I've seen it this week) would be to "force" all ships back to the hangars. There's also that instance where someone has launched a missile just before the final bell, and someone gets blown up after the match is called. Fun when you're the one who fired the missile, less fun if you're the one it kills.

The end of match timer doesn't seem to be tied to anything happening in game, although it might be. Just because my fighter isn't under the effects of a condition, or affecting another plain with a condition, doesn't mean that I'm not "in combat" and that there isn't an effect out there on one of those ships that might be causing the timer.

...maybe a way around this, and maybe also fixing the lost cursor bug (which is rare, but I've seen it this week) would be to "force" all ships back to the hangars. There's also that instance where someone has launched a missile just before the final bell, and someone gets blown up after the match is called. Fun when you're the one who fired the missile, less fun if you're the one it kills.

Kills after the buzzer really are the best though, I hope that never gets fixed.

The lost cursor bug only happens when you're spawning in as the game ends very easy to avoid if it bothers you that much just check the score and if the game is almost over don't hit spawn.

These are really minor gripes in my opinion, there's definitely much bigger fish to fry.

I'd like to think that minor bugs mean they'd be minor things to fix.

...as for the lost cursor thing, that wasn't something I brought up. I did experience it this week... no idea how many times I've ever seen it, but we're talking twos and threes of times at least (like, in less than 1% of the matches I've played, and that's a very generous estimation). So it doesn't so much bother me, is that if you don't have a visible cursor it can take a lot of fussing with your game to actually be able to exit the match; so if you are affected it actually is a hassle.

As for "just don't launch" if the match is "almost" over... uhm... I've considered it, but ultimately, I don't think this is the right thing to do. How do you KNOW the match is almost over? Is it sporting to sit out the last 3 seconds? What if the last 3 seconds turns out to be 37 seconds? "Come on guys, you just need two more kills...." 2 minutes, 13 seconds later... "ok, just one more..."

...no. You're flying, or you're coasting. Checking to see if the match is almost won or lost before hitting the launch button isn't something that I'm ever going to be wired to do.

I'd like to think that minor bugs mean they'd be minor things to fix.

Some bugs, although appearing minor, can be really difficult to fix. Besides that, every bugfix has a chance on an unforeseen effect, causing another, maybe much bigger bug. That's why Bioware decides to not fix some minor bugs for a long time or at all. Best example: Equipping the astromech companion with a gun let's the gun stick out of the bottom.