Mature rated Star Wars.

Rayla_Felana

Besides 1313, don't you wish we had many more mature Star Wars stories and no, I don't mean the dark and gritty mis-understood 'in' stories of recent years, but generally just more powerful storytelling instead of EP1C L1ghtZaber Battles! mixed with Jar-Jar style comedy? one of the main reasons I dislike the Clone Wars it just lack of maturity in much of it, don't get me wrong, some of the Dark Side tales are very well done, but most of the time it's just 'bleh' for me.

Now SWTOR is kind of heading in the right direction, but I seriously wished it took a Harry Potter movie style of transition for much of the franchise as a whole, from the childish toned-down version of storytelling in Philosopher's Stone to a far far more adult series by the time of Goblet of Fire.

I am sure some will disagree and claim 'maturity' isn't the Star Wars style, but how could ESB and ROTJ be any more directed towards adults? which is probably the reason many like ESB over ANH.

Ah, no. OT is about as serious as it should get, and they never went past the PG rating. R/M-rated content is normally rated that way for excessive violence, nudity, language, etc. Star Wars needs not these things, and good story telling, it does not make. :csw_yoda: Edited by BlazingShadow

I think Star Wars could use more mature themes. But no mature content like nudity and excessive gore. Episode three was going in the right direction, meaning the tone of the movie, but it didn't quite make it. I must say that Order 66 scene was great, coupled with John Williams :( music made it even better.

Star Wars isn't always good guys always win and lollipops and rainbows. KOTOR II showed that Star Wars is a dark tale. While the good guys win eventually, there should be bumps in the road. It allows connections to be made to the characters and allows viewers to invest themselves into the story.

George Lucas is actually planning on going down these lines in a few years time. He's planning a new live-action series called Star Wars: Underworld set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. And by the looks of it he's aiming for a more mature audience with a more 'Star Wars 1313' style.

Here's some links with more info from wookieepedia and wikipedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

Well Star Wars as a whole is more for a general audience really, its for everyone not so much kids. But anyway can agree, but as it sits now seems rather a good fit overall. I don't think it would be good now, to start going in anything further then PG otherwise your going to be neglecting a part of the fanbase. Plus Star Wars has always been a PG/General audience rating, I don't think it would be rather wise to stray from that completely.

Now you can have some mature things here and there, but it shouldn't completely take over. At best, it should be PG-PG-13 area(Ep 3 being PG-13 was actually good and while it was dark, it didn't completely stray away)

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ah, no. OT is about as serious as it should get, and they never went past the PG rating. R/M-rated content is normally rated that way for excessive violence, nudity, language, etc. Star Wars needs not these things, and good story telling, it does not make. :csw_yoda:

I disagree, any of these themes can and perhaps should be used as long as they are done well and used appropriately, perhaps you prefer the much more toned down George Lucas way of doing things 'Greedo shoots first' and those types of things, but for example Order 66, that whole scene and atmosphere made the whole film worth watching along with Anakin's fall.

Star Wars needs to stop being monetized for the kids and young teens with stuff like TFU and instead should start to actually take itself seriously as a franchise, I feel it has been holding itself back for long enough, great stories can and should be told, but the only thing stopping that is the 'idea' that Star Wars shouldn't be 'too serious', which is asinine for a franchise which clearly has been working hard towards the opposite, to get out of the kiddie friendly zone which established itself way back with the ewoks.

George Lucas is actually planning on going down these lines in a few years time. He's planning a new live-action series called Star Wars: Underworld set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. And by the looks of it he's aiming for a more mature audience with a more 'Star Wars 1313' style.

Here's some links with more info from wookieepedia and wikipedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

Exactly, I cannot wait to finally see this move forward, this and 1313 are the real steps towards a proper established and self-respecting franchise.

I disagree, any of these themes can and perhaps should be used as long as they are done well and used appropriately, perhaps you prefer the much more toned down George Lucas way of doing things 'Greedo shoots first' and those types of things, but for example Order 66, that whole scene and atmosphere made the whole film worth watching along with Anakin's fall.

Star Wars needs to stop being monetized for the kids and young teens with stuff like TFU and instead should start to actually take itself seriously as a franchise, I feel it has been holding itself back for long enough, great stories can and should be told, but the only thing stopping that is the 'idea' that Star Wars shouldn't be 'too serious', which is asinine for a franchise which clearly has been working hard towards the opposite, to get out of the kiddie friendly zone which established itself way back with the ewoks.

No, I quite literally meant the ORIGINAL trilogy. Yes, Han shoots first, no he's not a complete hero like any other human being, but the buck stops there. We don't need anymore child-murdering psychos (anakin) or any more mature themes in star wars. Star wars dealt with the classic journey of the hero. Do you need anything else? Really? Do you want excessive gore or sexual content in something meant for everyone?

I can understand wamting less ewoks, less gungans, less children... But more adult themes? That's like asking Minnie Mouse to do a strip tease. Just come out and say you want to watch Breaking Bad/Sons of Anarchy but with lightsabers.

Nah, Star Wars is supposed to cater to everyone, not just the 10pm crowd.

Edited by BlazingShadow

No, I quite literally meant the ORIGINAL trilogy. Yes, Han shoots first, no he's not a complete hero like any other human being, but the buck stops there. We don't need anymore child-murdering psychos (anakin) or any more mature themes in star wars. Star wars dealt with the classic journey of the hero. Do you need anything else? Really? Do you want excessive gore or sexual content in something meant for everyone?

I can understand wamting less ewoks, less gungans, less children... But more adult themes? That's like asking Minnie Mouse to do a strip tease. Just come out and say you want to watch Breaking Bad/Sons of Anarchy but with lightsabers.

Nah, Star Wars is supposed to cater to everyone, not just the 10pm crowd.

I think your taking her point to an extreme here, at no point was it said that star wars should have more 'excessive gore and sexual content'. Harry Potter is a good example of this, it takes a darker route but not a violent and sexual one, and it lends itself to the franchise, catering for a wider audience. You say Star Wars is supposed to cater for everyone, not just the 10pm crowd - but for many, SCW is just catering for kids, which isn't fair for everyone. Star Wars would benefit from exploring more mature areas because the Star Wars universe is so diverse, it can't just be limited to one genre.

Look at Star Wars 1313, its exploring a mature genre, but is by no means excessively gorey and sexual. Its about the underworld and corruption, not the heroic adventures and overcoming evil (not everyone wants to play The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes) There more to star wars than just the classic hero. Neither are the darker moments in ROTS - its the dark side for god sake, they kill innocents, not offer people cookies.

To sum it up: NO.

Star Wars is mainly a family / T-Rated franchise. Originally Star Wars 1313 was not going to be M, but it was pushed to raise the rating. Star Wars should not continue with M games in my opinion, just look at Republic Commando and how it was able to get the "blood and guts" and stay T. Games like that should appear more often. Something is telling me that if Star Wars makes more M rated games, we'll have a GTA re-skin on our hands. We know that part of the Star Wars universe exists, but there is no need to dive into it really.

I think your taking her point to an extreme here, at no point was it said that star wars should have more 'excessive gore and sexual content'. Harry Potter is a good example of this, it takes a darker route but not a violent and sexual one, and it lends itself to the franchise, catering for a wider audience. You say Star Wars is supposed to cater for everyone, not just the 10pm crowd - but for many, SCW is just catering for kids, which isn't fair for everyone. Star Wars would benefit from exploring more mature areas because the Star Wars universe is so diverse, it can't just be limited to one genre.

Look at Star Wars 1313, its exploring a mature genre, but is by no means excessively gorey and sexual. Its about the underworld and corruption, not the heroic adventures and overcoming evil (not everyone wants to play The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes) There more to star wars than just the classic hero. Neither are the darker moments in ROTS - its the dark side for god sake, they kill innocents, not offer people cookies.

Wait a minute, yoy want Star Wars to turn into The later harry potter books? HELL no, that's the exact reason we should avoid messing with the formula. Last time we tried a more mature star wars theme we got childmurderer anakin. What other characters need to be ruined, srsly?

Wait a minute, yoy want Star Wars to turn into The later harry potter books? HELL no, that's the exact reason we should avoid messing with the formula. Last time we tried a more mature star wars theme we got childmurderer anakin. What other characters need to be ruined, srsly?

So did you expect Vader to be a non child murderer. That scene(wrong as it may seem) showed how deeply Anakin was willing to fall. It captured the corruption of the Dark Side perfectly. The Dark Side can turn even the most revered Jedi into someone they would never think they could become. It makes you do things that you would normally condemn. That's what that scene showed.

Unfortunately, some of you may disagree.

But there are in fact more child fans than Adults. The Adults are just more vocal.

Anyway, TCW's darker tales are pretty well-done and imo are probably as far as its gonna get unfortunately.

The Neutral, independent factioned books and comics are more mature because their more realistic than good vs bad. And they have crime, slaves, etc.

So did you expect Vader to be a non child murderer. That scene(wrong as it may seem) showed how deeply Anakin was willing to fall. It captured the corruption of the Dark Side perfectly. The Dark Side can turn even the most revered Jedi into someone they would never think they could become. It makes you do things that you would normally condemn. That's what that scene showed.

Best part, they showed it without actually showing it. So they were able to stay in the realm of the PG-PG-13 area, yet were able to give out a dark scene. Only thing I hate now though, is people saying "oh how is Anakin so good, when he just killed a bunch of kids?" it annoys me to no end.

Best part, they showed it without actually showing it. So they were able to stay in the realm of the PG-PG-13 area, yet were able to give out a dark scene. Only thing I hate now though, is people saying "oh how is Anakin so good, when he just killed a bunch of kids?" it annoys me to no end.

I think that the way they portrayed that scene is the best way to portray a gruesome scene while keeping it PG-13. It implied something Dark was going to happen, but didn't show it happening. That leaves the imagination of the viewers to imagine what happens. Say what you want about the PT, but scenes like that and the Order 66 scene are scenes to remember.

No, my problem isn't that they killed kids, it's that they could not be bothered to explain the depth of his fall in any other way than "Oh, he kills babies and stomps puppies"

The transition from Whaaanakin to vader was so sudden and rushed, it was embarrassung. That is why Star Wars should not and frankly cannot tackle more adult themes- they are not able to handle it responsibly.

No, my problem isn't that they killed kids, it's that they could not be bothered to explain the depth of his fall in any other way than "Oh, he kills babies and stomps puppies"

The transition from Whaaanakin to vader was so sudden and rushed, it was embarrassung. That is why Star Wars should not and frankly cannot tackle more adult themes- they are not able to handle it responsibly.

Actually, the fall was a very long process, starting from when Anakin first arrived to Coruscant. The events of the prequels was being planned out for several years before TPM. It may seem sudden, but that was everything Palpatine had done come to a head.

Actually, the fall was a very long process, starting from when Anakin first arrived to Coruscant. The events of the prequels was being planned out for several years before TPM. It may seem sudden, but that was everything Palpatine had done come to a head.

Another annoyance of mine, people think Anakin's fall was sudden. When if you know, they actually watched him throughout the 3 movies you see him slowly fall. Starts with being taken from his mother, then his mother dying among his love for Padme, then finally having the vision of Padme dying. That is what is shown on screen, and once more people forget that years go by thus we have a time period where we don't see where it could have shown Anakin falling even more. You couple those thoughts into the 3 movies, and when his fall comes full circle you can see it makes sense but I guess some don't like imagination.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

You mean the two or three conversations between monster mash, the jedi saying anakin is afraid, and the OTHER incident of genocide on Tatooine? Yeah, that would be considerable buildup if it wasn't spread out in three movies.

Palpatine did three things: said Hi jn episode one, said "Ur kewl" in episode 2, and converted him to the derkside in episode 3 quite suddenly with this looming fear of padme's death, and protecting that one life justifies mass murder of babies. Nope, no middle ground, no time to warm up to the darkside just "Kill ALL the children! :D"

Speaking of which why in all of the EU, all of the books, all of anythibg star wars is whaanakin never confronted about his tusken raider genocide? That seems like something which would require serious counseling -at least- if he were toremain a member of a peacekeeping, life-loving organization. Just sayin'

Furthermore, if Padme knew about his capacity for genocide of men women AND children, why is she the least bit surprised when she finds out (second hand knowledge by the ways) that he killed more children? This is a girl that fell into a forbidden love, mind you, just hours/days after his first genocide... Shouldn't she at least expect some sort of this behavior when he expressed his concern of losing her like his mother? That was the original motivation for killing the sandppl in the first place. It might make sense in some book, but star wars isn't some lame book club, it is and will always be about the movies.

Back to my original point, Lucas is not responsible with adult themes as shown by the episode 2 romance, expression of genocidal tendencies, or political interaction. It was all poorly written, poorly executed an ultimately just a ploy to make money off of star wars fanatics. No, just no. Stick to the formula or do not write. Or if you must tackle more adult material, stay in the book section of star wars where the rest of the fanfiction is.

For added emphasis, you DON'T see him fall slowly through three movies, you see three events and a ery limited amount of dialogue take place VERY SLOWLY through tree movies. That's not te same as falling slowly, it's just poor writing.

Recount his fall: being told he is afraid, talking to monster mash who congrats him on his first assignment, derpicide1, talking to monstermash about his wife and how little he is respected like any angsty teen would, and then he falls, signified by derpicide 2 and epic angst "I HATE YOUUUUU WHAAA"

Not slowly falling, just slowly and BRIEFLY progressed.

Brief.

Besides 1313, don't you wish we had many more mature Star Wars stories and no, I don't mean the dark and gritty mis-understood 'in' stories of recent years, but generally just more powerful storytelling instead of EP1C L1ghtZaber Battles! mixed with Jar-Jar style comedy? one of the main reasons I dislike the Clone Wars it just lack of maturity in much of it, don't get me wrong, some of the Dark Side tales are very well done, but most of the time it's just 'bleh' for me.

Now SWTOR is kind of heading in the right direction, but I seriously wished it took a Harry Potter movie style of transition for much of the franchise as a whole, from the childish toned-down version of storytelling in Philosopher's Stone to a far far more adult series by the time of Goblet of Fire.

I am sure some will disagree and claim 'maturity' isn't the Star Wars style, but how could ESB and ROTJ be any more directed towards adults? which is probably the reason many like ESB over ANH.

TOR was a great step, it has alot of thing I LOVE in the universe in those ways. It's not all OMG happy and theres alot darker sides to it.... I wish this was M rated, Nar Shadda could be expanded it so many ways, Gambling the obvious one.. along with all the dark and gritty of the underworld. The fade to blacks could be more intimate without showing anything, like what u'd see in an R rated movie maybe. Not ****, i would never want that for this but just more a way of connection with the characters. As someone said explore the underworld aspect way more in a setting like this.

Anyway just take it to a real adult oriented aspect to the story telling thats not kid-friendly. I would love that :) SW has the potential to be everything and I would love one fully directed at that type of audience.

Edited by Lithy

Are you serious?

All your doing is ranting about a 5 second scene in a 2hr and 15m movie.

If thats all your thinking about when someone says SW must become more mature, its obvious you need to become more mature and may not be able to handle maturity.

Maturity does not necessarily mean slaughter and sex.

EDIT: The entire ROTS Movie is the fall of Anakin, him killing Count Dooku. Loving Padme, killing Mace Windu, Palpatine manipulating him, etc. It bewilders me that all you can think of him turning is that small scene.

Edited by BrandonSM