lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either buff Partisan/Conqueror Gear or drastically reduce the expertise given to PvE equipment. I find it highly unfair that PvE'rs can show up in WZ's and kick butt in their PvE gear, while PvP'rs most certainly cannot enter a HM ops with their PvP gear. Please address this issue ASAP!

There are people in full 66 PvE gear who are getting 2000 expertise. Along with the level 66 stats, this makes it better than conqueror. This is obviously not intended, but its an enormous problem.

No, full 66 pve gear gives around 1800 expertise and less (-4-5k hp) endurance than conqueror. Also, crafted gear armorings dont carry set bonuses.

But its good gear for start playing wz until you get conqueror, and makes gear gap small. So, bolster fine :o

Edited by TonyDragonflame

Either buff Partisan/Conqueror Gear or drastically reduce the expertise given to PvE equipment. I find it highly unfair that PvE'rs can show up in WZ's and kick butt in their PvE gear, while PvP'rs most certainly cannot enter a HM ops with their PvP gear. Please address this issue ASAP!

You can wear PvE gear too and kick butts.

If you afraid of this, it seems this is skill issue, not gear, so l2p :o

I found fine situation, when everyone can craft 66 gear and be competitive in wz with it compared with Partisan and Conqueror - it makes playing comfortable on start and gearing much more faster when you have plenty chars and makes gear gap smaller.

But anyway Conqueror min/max gear is best for pvp, dont mention about pvp gear still best for open world pvp. So, process of grind still there is, but you can start playing and grinding in very soft environment.

It's getting pretty clear that Bioware does not want PVPers money, they would rather us go elsewhere.

Well, PvP is 70% of the game.. We all do few times FP`s and OP`s, and I like it - but I return to wage "WAR" in Star Wars :)

bolster partisan to ilvl 69 when i enter FP or OP and we are good = equal ;) joke

I really think bolster sistem sucks... PvE players buy (new) recruit set - spend 200-300 k if you want to fight in WZ`s... and we are all good.. only one PvE item for regular FP`s is 400-500k...

Edited by DarthKalldin

No, full 66 pve gear gives around 1800 expertise and less (-4-5k hp) endurance than conqueror. Also, crafted gear armorings dont carry set bonuses.

But its good gear for start playing wz until you get conqueror, and makes gear gap small. So, bolster fine :o

Have known people in the full crafted stuff to have 2000 expertise in warzones. It happens. I also don't know where you are getting the less HP from as it provides more than Conqueror....

Have known people in the full crafted stuff to have 2000 expertise in warzones. It happens. I also don't know where you are getting the less HP from as it provides more than Conqueror....

Im starting to wonder is TonyDragonFlame BioWare (or Disney) employee :)

Edited by DarthKalldin

U get expertise for every slot thats filled. You need the 2 relics/implants to get 2018. That said if you put on ANY expertise pre 55 it deducts it from your expertise. Bit bizarre but I sorta get it now. When you hit 55 expertise sitll counts.

I was in WZ last night with some guy who was wearing at least three empty orange pieces. I was in full Partisan with three Conqueror pieces.

He had more health than I did.

I am full conqueror with only power relic I seat around 31720 HP.. in my last wz there was a guy with underword gear and green implants and relics which 35k :D I am sure he was using the exploit b/c the green augments but still

Crafted rating 152 gear is competitive with Conqueror. Crafted rating 156 (purple 66) is NOT competitive with Conqueror, at least not as competitive as rating 152. I mean what you're saying is basically wear all basic gear (same rating) and you'd be better than Conqueror. If it's that easy someone would've already accidentally figured this out, not to mention I have no idea where you get these massive stat boost for wearing armor that's 2 rating above Conqueror, even if they magically have 100% the expertise (which they do not).

• Dev Post

Hey everyone, I have seen a lot of questions about why Bolster exists at 55 given the issues we have been having. I talked to Rob Hinkle and here is his explanation on why Bolster exists as a system at level 55.

Hey gang,

One of the questions that comes up with some frequency about the new bolster system is, “Why do we bolster people at level 55 at all?” A fair question, I say, so I wanted to try to take a moment to explain the thinking. Before 2.0 we gave free sets of PvP gear, the Recruit (and Recruit Mk-2) sets, to players as they reached the max level of the game. This gear was intended to set the minimum power level of players inside Warzones, making sure that regardless of what gear you’ve managed to obtain as you were leveling, you were at “X” power level at the worst.

This is important because we feel that PvP performance is a combination of player skill and character power from gear, and we want to make sure that a player can always feel like he can contribute in a warzone regardless of how much gear he has managed to acquire. Unfortunately, giving away physical gear ran into a number of problems: we couldn’t actually make it as powerful as we wanted without invalidating the gear being dropped in flashpoints, some players simply sold the gear for an immediate cash gain, and a large number of people either didn’t ever acquire the Recruit gear or simply didn’t wear it while inside PvP. The result was a rather harsh introduction to PvP for fresh level 50 players into the established PvP end-game that resulted in a significant drop off in participation of PvP.

We wanted a system that could handle creating our desired power range more seamlessly, allowing players an easy transition between the leveling game and the PvP game. To that end, we reworked the Bolster system to not function off player level (as it did pre-2.0) and instead use the power level of the items a character currently has equipped. Effectively, this lets us define our “Recruit Item Set” systematically, where if players are below a certain power level we can bring that player up to a power range where they can participate and enjoy PvP. Now players who just hit level 55 no longer have to go looking for a special set of gear to wear in PvP just to try to compete, they can simply queue up and play as they have been their entire leveling experience.

It’s unfortunate that our Bolster 2.0 release hasn’t gone nearly as smoothly as we hoped and that can certainly lead to the suggestion of limiting its use, but without some kind of system in-place we would be in a situation where players will have been playing in a competitive PvP environment as they level up, and as soon as they hit level 55 their PvP enjoyment immediately tanks and they are forced to “suffer through it” to gain enough Warzone Commendations to buy gear to finally be competitive (or simply never play PvP again). We believe that would be very bad in the long run for SW:TOR PvP, and something we are working to avoid.

I hope this helps explain some of our thinking, and why we decided to go with the system we have, thanks for your time.

Hey everyone, I have seen a lot of questions about why Bolster exists at 55 given the issues we have been having. I talked to Rob Hinkle and here is his explanation on why Bolster exists as a system at level 55.

Thank's for the response and the time put in communicating your thought process! Always appreciated.

Ok, I missed several months, but what I take away from that response is that everybody (meaning every player) was given for free, with no additional effort required, an entry-level set of gear. Now, through choices made by the player, some opted not to use the gear, while others opted to sell it. It was their choice to do so, and nobody forced them to sell or not use the gear.

So because one group of players actively chose to not participate in PvP with the free, no effort required, gear, those players who choose to take PvP more seriously than PvE are penalized by faulty equations.

My question is, at what point do you let the player live with his or her decisions?

I think most of us knew the goal of bolster at 55. We just want it to work correctly. Any word on a fix?

"It’s unfortunate that our Bolster 2.0 release hasn’t gone nearly as smoothly as we hoped and that can certainly lead to the suggestion of limiting its use, but without some kind of system in-place we would be in a situation where players will have been playing in a competitive PvP environment as they level up, and as soon as they hit level 55 their PvP enjoyment immediately tanks and they are forced to “suffer through it” to gain enough Warzone Commendations to buy gear to finally be competitive (or simply never play PvP again). We believe that would be very bad in the long run for SW:TOR PvP, and something we are working to avoid."

I get it, and that needs of the many (whoever wants to queue) outweigh needs of the few (serious PVPers) from a certain perspective.

Bugs happen but I don't get what's up with QA. Loads of players join PTS as freebie QA folks and you all have your own. You guys may have delivered on time but it wasn't worth doing so. ::Insert white paper on customer confidence here::

Edited by Joesixxpack

So basically, the answers to why we have bolster:

1) The optimal recruit gear would be better then flashpoint gear

2) People are stupid, then cry they struggle in pvp when not given free gear for it.

I understand better the reasons for #1, but #2 is just...sad.

I guess my last question for you to relay, eric, is this: Why was ALL the feedback pointing out MANY of these pvp bugs in beta/PTS completely ignored? Half of these bugs could've been resolved before release...

That, and I guess Rob needs to make sure he fully appreciates how many holes bolster has at 55. It'll take them weeks to iron them all out, and well, they're going to lose a good bit of people along the way. My guild's login rate has dropped about 50% within 2-3 weeks since the release. It's just sad, my PvP centric guild has dropped activity like a rock. I'm logging in at 8-9pm at night, and seeing maybe 5 other people online these days...

Edited by islander

OK, recruit gear sells for 1 credit. Selling it is no longer an issue. Don't do the cash token again. People not wearing it is their own damned fault. But, I think a lot of people didn't wear it because it was blue. Give it the purple tag, and you'll see these people wear it even if the stats are the same. The recruit gear system was better than what we have now. As it is now, I'm better off wearing lvl 10 blues than my battlemaster stuff, and that's just not right.

<snip>

This is important because we feel that PvP performance is a combination of player skill and character power from gear, and we want to make sure that a player can always feel like he can contribute in a warzone regardless of how much gear he has managed to acquire. Unfortunately, giving away physical gear ran into a number of problems: we couldn’t actually make it as powerful as we wanted without invalidating the gear being dropped in flashpoints, some players simply sold the gear for an immediate cash gain, and a large number of people either didn’t ever acquire the Recruit gear or simply didn’t wear it while inside PvP. The result was a rather harsh introduction to PvP for fresh level 50 players into the established PvP end-game that resulted in a significant drop off in participation of PvP.

</snip>

Problem wasn't the recruit gear. The problem was that other gear was taken out. the gear between Recruit and WH was removed, thus the gear gap was so huge, and it was created by Bioware. The reason people didn't take recruit gear is because it WAS useless in pvp. You didn't upgrade the recruit gear to be on par with the gear that was available. Add in new upgraded recruit gear, allow them to exchange old recruit gear for new recruit gear, and it woudl actually be used.

Don't overcomplicate it. Keep it simple. The way you are doing bolster is the opposite of keeping it simple.

Edited by jgoldsack

LOL

What a bunch of garbage. You raised the damage buff by 60% and it is so heinous you can be stun locked by one single player and have 27k + health melted and die before you can ever move and you're telling us your main priority was bringing WZ noobs up to speed?

Whatever....

Edited by Dawginole

Ok, I missed several months, but what I take away from that response is that everybody (meaning every player) was given for free, with no additional effort required, an entry-level set of gear. Now, through choices made by the player, some opted not to use the gear, while others opted to sell it. It was their choice to do so, and nobody forced them to sell or not use the gear.

Right, but they could still queue. Sure, they get what they deserve, but why does their team have to be effectively down a player?

So because one group of players actively chose to not participate in PvP with the free, no effort required, gear, those players who choose to take PvP more seriously than PvE are penalized by faulty equations.

You're setting up a false dilemma. Bolster needs to be fixed, it's not a tradeoff between recruit sets and broken bolster. It's a tradeoff between recruit sets and a properly working bolster. Yes, it's not working now, but it's not nearly anything I would call being "penalized".

My question is, at what point do you let the player live with his or her decisions?

Hopefully never so long as others have to live with their decisions too.