What's your veiw on Makeb and SGR

RikuvonDrake

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the correct section for this discussion, but I thought I wanted to read some feedback regarding your experience with SGR on Makeb and how you think it has affected the game and community. I remember reading a lot of threads regarding how it would affect the player base in a negative way and how Bioware would get "so much trouble" with different organisations that was very much against this kind of things within the game.

But for some reason, it feels like the discussion died after like one or two days after 2.0 and the SGR were introduced into the game, however understand me right, I don't any discussion regarding SGR and if it was right or wrong. I just want to hear about your personal experiences with it ingame and how you think it has affected the game!

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the correct section for this discussion, but I thought I wanted to read some feedback regarding your experience with SGR on Makeb and how you think it has affected the game and community. I remember reading a lot of threads regarding how it would affect the player base in a negative way and how Bioware would get "so much trouble" with different organisations that was very much against this kind of things within the game.

But for some reason, it feels like the discussion died after like one or two days after 2.0 and the SGR were introduced into the game, however understand me right, I don't any discussion regarding SGR and if it was right or wrong. I just want to hear about your personal experiences with it ingame and how you think it has affected the game!

I don't think it has effected the game much, and it was never meant to. Players weren't forced in to flirting with members of the opposite gender, and I think opposition for it, both in-game and out, is in the minority. That beings said, I don't think the discussion died completely, it has simply quietened for a while. For some reason anything to do with SGR will always cause commotion, and the next time BW add SGR (Which they hopefully will do again in the future) this debate will be sparked again.

As for how I have found it in-game, I have only had one character reach Makeb, my female Sith Inquisitor. She got to flirt with two female NPC's later in to the story, and it didn't seem any better, worse or different then straight flirting. There were some very immature players spamming the chats when they found out their males characters could flirt with a male NPC, but immaturity can be found on every aspect of this game.

Edited by Cyberwoman

This is actually the wrong forum for this but I'll bite. It didn't bother me at all because as a male, I didn't seem to find any flirts with guys on the pub side. It seems each side had a set person they could flirt with on the planet of the same sex. If you are a gay Male Pub player you got shafted.

I welcome this though as a straight male and I hope they add more options for everyone.

Playing 50 levels on my female Sith Warrior and having a few flirt options with male NPCs and just out of the blue getting two flirt options with two females is kinda weird. I get summoned to some Darth Someladys office, she starts to give me a run down on why she called me and one of my options is to reply back with a flirt? I dont even like opposite sex romance in the game cause it felt ackward, now with the addition of same sex it feels even more ackward. For me opposite romance felt ackward because it felt too forced or just corny, but same sex it felt ackward because it came out of nowhere.

I remember how back in the day, before the game was released, this was a huge deal, people arguing about it page after page. The same thread for it had to be reincarnated like 6 times after it reached the 1,000 post limit.

Anywho, after all that hullabaloo, no same-gender romance at launch. People were so damn sure they'd do it, I was glad they did it... just to piss off those smug SoBs. But then I make a female imperial agent and realize I can't be lesbian with nobody. NNNOOOOOOOO!!!

It's a good start

I think it is a start. I am still hoping for more. I am really hoping for a love story similar to the same-sex only options for male and female in ME3. They are fantastically written, their sexuality was not their main focus. I just wanted to hold Steve Cortez close and make him feel better :( I don't think I have ever been affected by a fictional character, video game or otherwise, so much...

I was amused. I purposely did the F-F SGR on the Republic side. It delivered as expected - missed liplock, whee! On the Empire side, I ran a [Flirt] option on my Male inquisitor thinking I would be flirting with the female who was with the male Sith. They were both talking so *shrug*. I got through a few options before realizing that it was actually the dude. Then I chuckled and gave BWEA two thumbs up for that implementation.

I wonder how many homophobic brains exploded because of that subtlety. Not enough IMO.

I was amused. I purposely did the F-F SGR on the Republic side. It delivered as expected - missed liplock, whee! On the Empire side, I ran a [Flirt] option on my Male inquisitor thinking I would be flirting with the female who was with the male Sith. They were both talking so *shrug*. I got through a few options before realizing that it was actually the dude. Then I chuckled and gave BWEA two thumbs up for that implementation.

I wonder how many homophobic brains exploded because of that subtlety. Not enough IMO.

Did you see the forums after the expansion hit. There were many posts from people asking for a way to turn it off, or dissing bioware (not like bioware is not used to it, look at the "straight male gamer" thread with DA2) or whatever. They deleted many threads about it

I think it is a start. I am still hoping for more. I am really hoping for a love story similar to the same-sex only options for male and female in ME3. They are fantastically written, their sexuality was not their main focus. I just wanted to hold Steve Cortez close and make him feel better :( I don't think I have ever been affected by a fictional character, video game or otherwise, so much...

I have never played ME3 (apparrently, I'm missing out, but I hear the ending was a less than what was expected), so I cannot comment on Steve Cortez (Also, I'm a girl, interested in, well, girls :eek:) However, I'm with you in that I hope this is a sign of things to come. If they continue with class stories (A big IF, I know), I hope any future companions will be SGR. It's a little dream, but we can hope. :)

I have never played ME3 (apparrently, I'm missing out, but I hear the ending was a less than what was expected), so I cannot comment on Steve Cortez (Also, I'm a girl, interested in, well, girls :eek:) However, I'm with you in that I hope this is a sign of things to come. If they continue with class stories (A big IF, I know), I hope any future companions will be SGR. It's a little dream, but we can hope. :)

The ending for ME3 was somewhat disappointing. But I cried with a smile through basically the entire thing. It was still amazing. But they had to summarize all of your choices into an ending. It was going to disappoint somehow.

It was a fantastic game that just had a slightly disappointing ending, that to me... did not ruin the game.

I am with you on the companions, I just don't want it half assed and I really hope they do same-sex only (as a gay man).

i suppose its a start but i find it quite short sighted of them to have male SGRA on makeb only on the Sith side.

i know a full companion would take time but id like to sooner rather than later more npc's in the lvling process that could be both i highly doubt it would be very hard to re do a few npc ideologue, but hay im not a programmer.

As for reactions in game i found some who were immature, and one or two who were down right insulting but it seems to have dissipated.

On a separate note id love it if jj abrams added some SGR background characters in the new films, would at least shut up those gays dont exist in SW fools. :D

Found it to be no different or better than the OGR flirts you get options for in game that aren't with companions. :p

Go through all that, then you have to leave them to never see them again? Seriously, they should've known better with Makeb and had them ready to become new companions.

It's a long way short of being satisfactory, but I'll take what I can get for now. It's much like the Makeb story as a whole: light, short and self contained.

Companions are none of these things to the story. There's a reason why people were asking for s/s romance content with those.

Companions are none of these things to the story. There's a reason why people were asking for s/s romance content with those.

Because they could run around the game with them. It's not about their stories. The companion stories aren't that great, at least when compared to the rest of the stories.

It's because people want to run around with the companion they're married to or want to be.

The stories are fun, but seriously, not all that at all.

I didn't say the companion stories. I said the companions themselves. Many of whom are present for a significant amount of the class story, which takes several dozen hours to complete, and contribute to it continuously. They're pretty integral.

A handful of quick cutscenes with a side character from one planet isn't exactly comparable.

Edited by Bleeters

I'm an avid supporter of gay rights, and a straight male. That said...

It was poorly done. Only man/man on Imp side and only female/female on Republic side. The whole thing was wishy-washy and clearly just an appeasement to those who have been posting so long about it in the aforementioned SGR thread. It has nothing to do with the story, has very little impact on the game whatsoever really. And there's still no companion options to have an actual "relationship" with. Like most of what BioWare does, it was half-assed.

I've played through Imp-side Makeb three times now, and on the last I did the romance with Cytharat and was so crushingly disappointed.

Going through the first two times I was excited for my Mara, as I usually imagined him as having some very amusing non-BW official time with Quinn and here he was about to meet a Sith who looked adorably just like him. But alas. The flirts weren't particularly fun and Cytharat barely reacted. I found out no more about him or felt like my Mara knew him any better than my Operative or my Powertech. The kiss was nice, but then those who 'romanced' him didn't even get a special letter in the mail.

So yeah I don't know if BW officially termed this romance but it doesn't even qualify as a fling. More like a 'maybe someday...' kind of deal. If they bring back Cytharat in a meaningful way, though, then this is forgivable, but I still maintain they could have done more.