Combat Medic- Skill Trees and gearing

TheSupaCoopa

Duran'del Here:

Every player in this game has their thing that works for them. So, I was interested in what skill tree build worked for players and the type of gear.

This is my personal build;

Skill Tree

Gear:

-Stats(list all stats on your gear): I prefer to stack Aim, Surge, and Power. Alacrity is nice, but it's purely optional if you've speced First Responder.

-Prioritized Stats(list the stats you want most of): Power is prioritized for me over Surge, but Aim is the stat I like to have on most of my gear.

-Augmentations(list augments): Aim, power, and surge for me.

(Theoretical) Support Commando(Hybrid-ish build of CM and Gunnery)

Duran'del Here:

Every player in this game has their thing that works for them. So, I was interested in what skill tree build worked for players and the type of gear.

Skill Tree

Gear:

-Stats(list all stats on your gear): I prefer to stack Aim, Surge, and Power. Alacrity is nice, but it's purely optional if you've speced First Responder.

-Prioritized Stats(list the stats you want most of): Power is prioritized for me over Surge, but Aim is the stat I like to have on most of my gear.

please tell me this is for PVE.

I would strongly consider dropping "efficient conversions", "first responder" and "field training". I don't think it will benefit you enough to justify losing those points in the other two trees. Heck, I play Combat Medic 90% of the time on my commando and never use "first responder", and only put one point in the "field training" just to access the next tier. I think "first responder" is useless in my opinion.

I'd keep the points in "quick thinking" so you can off-heal a little more efficiently, and keep "cell capacitor" if you want, as a little extra energy never hurts. Otherwise dump those points back into the dps trees, preferably gunnery if that's the dps tree you're specializing in.

Edited by Alzor

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRRR0cdzfGzZMccZb.3

this is realy the only option for PVE healing, as shown in my guide found here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=635473

corrections for the stat prioritizations can also be found in this guide.

for the tree that you posted your are opting yourself out of A TON of the key abilities to maximize your healing.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfRRR0cdzfGzZMccZb.3

this is realy the only option for PVE healing, as shown in my guide found here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=635473

corrections for the stat prioritizations can also be found in this guide.

for the tree that you posted your are opting yourself out of A TON of the key abilities to maximize your healing.

The single minor change I'd make to your tree would be to take 1 point from either Kolto Residue, First Responder, or Efficient Conversions and drop it into Psych Aid. With all the cleanses that are necessary in later-game content now, the extra healing Psych Aid provides for Field Aid is actually pretty good. I've seen it hit around 1.5k on a crit (and I'm no where near fully geared) which makes life a little easier when there is a hard-hitting DoT mechanic in a fight. Kolto Residue only needs one point assuming you use it on cooldown and take Kolto Pods (since Kolto Pods refreshes Kolto Residue with each tick so there are four chances to apply the buff), and if you've got ~30% crit chance or so First Responder will almost always be up anyway with 1 point. The only use for Efficient Conversions that I see is for a free Kolto Wave/Concussive Charge, but that's an encounter-specific choice (there are some fights where an additional AOE is helpful, there are others where you'll be cleansing way more often than every 30s with Kolto Wave).

Duran'del Here:

Skill Tree

Gear:

Theoretical build redux: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfoMkdZrfcRMdRkbZM.3

Feel free to critique this one(The main objective of this build is to optimize the supportive capabilities of the commando)

Gear:

You can't prioritize Power over Surge; they're in two different groupings of stats, hence existence of Power/Surge enhancements. For a healing build, you should be maximizing both of those while minimizing Crit, Accuracy and Alacrity.

As for augments, go all Aim. Especially with a 9% Aim boost.

Theoretical build redux: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rfoMkdZrfcRMdRkbZM.3

Feel free to critique this one(The main objective of this build is to optimize the supportive capabilities of the commando)

I've never seen a hybrid build for Commando be effective at end-game. You just miss out on too much and don't gain enough in return. The builds may look good on paper, but they don't work well in reality. But if you really want to do support I have a few comments for you:

- Based on the build, I'm going to make 2 assumptions. First is that you are going to be in Combat Support Cell (since you have Supercharge Cells and Treated Wound Dressings taken) and that your priority is going to be dealing damage (because you took Steadied Aim instead of Steady Hands).

- So assuming that you are in Combat Support Cell, you are going to have to drop Cell Charger. The effect of that skill only applies if you are in Armor-Piercing Cell, which you aren't. If you are in Armor-Piercing Cell, then Treated Wound Dressings and Supercharged Cells need to be dropped for the same reason. The only other possibility is if you are switching between stances and that's not really intuitive or effective on a Commando.

- Combat Shield is a wasted skill point. There are very very few enemies in the game who have interrupts in PVE, so its just not worth taking. Most interrupts you see in PVE are from stuns and physical effects, and Combat Shield does not prevent those kinds of interrupts (since they are crowd controls or CCs).

- You're going to want to drop Cover Fire. Most enemies that will give you a challenge are immune to Cover Fire's slow (in addition to other CCs). The slow is really only going to be helpful on Weak, Normal, and Strong enemies, and enemies of those strengths should be easy to kill without a slow.

- Drop the two points in Overclock and put them into Curtain of Fire. With your build, the heart of your damage is going to hinge on Full Auto, so you really can't afford to miss this proc. In that same vein, try to find a way to put a third point in Target Lock. Both the accuracy increase and the additional armor pen will make your Full Auto (as well as other ranged attacks) better.

- Also, putting 1 point in Kolto Residue is okay, but you're going to miss applying the buff 50% of the time. Either put a second point here, put one in Kolto Pods (which gives you four chances to apply it), or drop it entirely.

- Lastly, for healing, I'd avoid Medical Probe in your build. It is really costly, you don't have Field Triage to reduce it, and without Steady Hands its channel time is going to be really problematic. Advanced Medical Probe is probably going to be your main heal, since three of your talents improve it (First Responder/Supercharged Cells/Charged Barrier). Kolto Bomb will be available more often and you're going to want to use that too.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

I've never seen a hybrid build for Commando be effective at end-game. You just miss out on too much and don't gain enough in return. The builds may look good on paper, but they don't work well in reality. But if you really want to do support I have a few comments for you:

- Based on the build, I'm going to make 2 assumptions. First is that you are going to be in Combat Support Cell (since you have Supercharge Cells and Treated Wound Dressings taken) and that your priority is going to be dealing damage (because you took Steadied Aim instead of Steady Hands).

- So assuming that you are in Combat Support Cell, you are going to have to drop Cell Charger. The effect of that skill only applies if you are in Armor-Piercing Cell, which you aren't. If you are in Armor-Piercing Cell, then Treated Wound Dressings and Supercharged Cells need to be dropped for the same reason. The only other possibility is if you are switching between stances and that's not really intuitive or effective on a Commando.

- Combat Shield is a wasted skill point. There are very very few enemies in the game who have interrupts in PVE, so its just not worth taking. Most interrupts you see in PVE are from stuns and physical effects, and Combat Shield does not prevent those kinds of interrupts (since they are crowd controls or CCs).

- You're going to want to drop Cover Fire. Most enemies that will give you a challenge are immune to Cover Fire's slow (in addition to other CCs). The slow is really only going to be helpful on Weak, Normal, and Strong enemies, and enemies of those strengths should be easy to kill without a slow.

- Drop the two points in Overclock and put them into Curtain of Fire. With your build, the heart of your damage is going to hinge on Full Auto, so you really can't afford to miss this proc. In that same vein, try to find a way to put a third point in Target Lock. Both the accuracy increase and the additional armor pen will make your Full Auto (as well as other ranged attacks) better.

- Also, putting 1 point in Kolto Residue is okay, but you're going to miss applying the buff 50% of the time. Either put a second point here, put one in Kolto Pods (which gives you four chances to apply it), or drop it entirely.

- Lastly, for healing, I'd avoid Medical Probe in your build. It is really costly, you don't have Field Triage to reduce it, and without Steady Hands its channel time is going to be really problematic. Advanced Medical Probe is probably going to be your main heal, since three of your talents improve it (First Responder/Supercharged Cells/Charged Barrier). Kolto Bomb will be available more often and you're going to want to use that too.

I redid the build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800dfoRRbZrffRrzokMZM.3

• 2 months later...
How did this theorycrafted build work out for you? I like the idea...

Have not tried it out yet, but the Rotation and set bonus is in my mind...

2 piece Eliminator, 2 piece Combat Medic. Rotation involves "mag-dumping" with GR until you get 4-5 stacks of Charged Barrel, the using HiB and using HS or MP to build up Supercharge. When you get to 30 SC stacks, its time to "Mag-dum" with GR and HiB, then activating Supercharge Cells when you get to the ~10 ammo mark. Then you can use Charged Bolts until there's ~1s of SuperCharge Cells left, and then you use FA to get the bonus of the free FA and CB. Here's an Alternate build(Support Commando v2.1)

I'll need to get some more Ark pieces, but I will be running around with it in SM or HMs.

Edited by TheSupaCoopa